• May 23, 2024, 03:43:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero XU 2011 - buy or not?  (Read 1335 times)

most

• View Profile
Zero XU 2011 - buy or not?
« on: March 22, 2022, 01:10:04 PM »

All,

I am seriously considering to buy a 2011 XU with below 1000kms driven, advertised for 2k. Now reading through the posts here I am aware that this is not really recommended and there’s a good chance that I will loose the invested money. :-\ I‘m also aware that there is ZERO support from ZERO for the pre 2013 models.
The bike mechanics are in a relatively good condition (no corrosion, clean & dry storage), I yet have to ask the seller about the battery/charger/controller status and how it was maintained.
Furthermore, it is a two day‘s drive to pick it up. ::)

Also seen on zeromanual that rebuilding the battery is possible but to a certain extend an adventure. I have the tools and 80% skills, the rest is either „learn as you go“ or I will ask a professional batt rebuilder to do that (I am prepared for a significant invest for that).

I am fascinated cause this is literally one of the first e-bikes built, this is my motivation to get the hands on one of these. Unless it is a total DIY nightmare… which is what I want to find out with a little help from you guys.

What are the weak spots I have to inspect or ask upfront?

Thanks,
Mat
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

mfabricator

• View Profile
Re: Zero XU 2011 - buy or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 08:55:41 AM »

2K is a lot unless battery was replaced, I doubt an original would be very good at that age. I bought one a few months back for half that with a dead battery. I junked the "proprietary" electronics and upgraded to a modern Alltrax  500A controller and 60v nom Used ev battery. It rides nice and can hit 55mph. Mine has the first motenergy motor they used, if the one your looking at has the pmg132 its worth it for sure, way more potential.

most

• View Profile
Re: Zero XU 2011 - buy or not?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 09:44:51 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. I passed on this 'opportunity' as this is simply too many unknown variables. Anyway, meanwhile it was sold.
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:
Pages: [1]