• April 29, 2024, 04:43:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ride report for 2-14-10  (Read 1420 times)

Phantom

• View Profile
Ride report for 2-14-10
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:42:31 PM »

First off, I am a new motorcycle rider. This was my first real trip with my new Enertia. I checked over the bike, attached my license plate. I started it up easily and started my trip.

It was sunny and 32F outside. I took it slow around the neighborhood 10mph and practiced stopping, starting from a stop on hill, and using my turn signals. After about 20 minutes of this, I took it out to my main road. It was a long, straight away and I took the bike up to 40mph. I felt like I was going much faster and it was FUN. I then came to a gradual stop at a four way intersection.

After the car in front of me went ahead. I stopped and waited for the rest of the cars to go. Everybody just stayed in their place and stared at me. It could be that I was on an electric bike or that it is the middle of winter when there are no motorcycles around. I was waved through the intersection by the person on my right which took me by surprise. I would have preferred to wait my turn, but I went ahead anyway. The quick acceleration took me straight across where I continued my journey.

I ended up at a local gas station. I adjusted my mirrors and took a quick break. A woman started up a conversation with me about the bike and I told her it ran on electricity. She seemed impressed by it. We talked for about a minute about the bike before I headed back home.

I might take it to work tomorrow, which will be closed, to practice my commute and to work on improving my riding skills.    

I am so glad I bought the Enertia. I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:10:43 AM by Phantom »

Brammofan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ride report for 2-14-10
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 11:07:07 PM »

Thanks for the report, Phantom.  Sounds like you took things slowly, assessed everything, and that it went well for you. From what I hear, get used to people talking to you about it.  According to one guy I know, it's a great conversation starter.
2010 Brammo Enertia

Phantom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:28:26 AM »

Thanks, I consider it a successful first ride. I think I am a safe auto driver (for a Massachusetts driver) and I am taking extra precaution as a new motorcycle rider. I have tried to learn as much as I can about safe riding habits. I am planning to take a motorcycle safety course in a few months. If I pass the course, I get to upgrade my permit to a motorcycle license.

I like talking about about the Enertia with people.

guity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:54:17 AM »

Thanks for your report Phantom.  I think you must be somewhere near the ultimate testing ground -- Boston -- where the craziest drivers in the Untied States live.  Here in Los Angeles, the drivers are just kind of brain-dead, but there in Boston, they are simply rip-roaring maniacs.  If you can navigate your Enertia successfully through the city without getting hit then you will have totally proven your motorcycle riding skills to be at a very high level, as far as I am concerned!

How far is your commute?

Phantom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 04:46:18 AM »

I am about 45 minutes north of Boston, but the drivers here are still crazy. There are many times when you need to drive fast to stay safe; which sounds counter-intuitive. A pedestrian was killed last week at the same intersection where I pull into the office park at 8 AM by a drunk driver. The driver was speeding and attempted to pass a car on the right, crossing off the road and killed a guy who was jogging just off the side of the road.

I have never been to LA, but always think of highway traffic in LA based on Sammy Hagar's "I can't drive 55" song.

My commute is eight miles each way and I can use side roads/back roads for 90% of the trip.

zade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 05:36:00 AM »

That is great ..... trying something for the first time is such a great feeling .... Can't wait to read the updated report ........... cheers.
Pages: [1]