• April 29, 2024, 06:12:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Improved AC charging options - 1.5kW -> 15kW?  (Read 3057 times)

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
Re: Improved AC charging options - 1.5kW -> 15kW?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2023, 02:19:08 PM »

Thanks all, solid discussion of options, bummer the LW is rather limited and locked down. We would have to wait until Harley releases some more details or need to brace reverse engineering it, changing HW and getting SW to talk...
I will investigate the Setec unit but will be a beast to carry on the bike. CCS2 plug, cable, Setec unit, AC 3 phase cable and plug... The 10kW Setec unit itself is with 420 x 330 x 161 (assuming to be cm) not to large. The plugs and cables will make it bulky.
Before I ask for a quote on the website, anyone has a rough idea on cost?
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2023, 02:22:14 PM »

And as a far easier option, Tesla has started to open up some of their Superchargers in Australia. They are along very scenic country rides. Therefore ideal. Anyone been charging their LW on such supercharges?
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2023, 04:32:21 PM »

The Setec chargers are $3600.00 here: https://www.evseadapters.com/products/portable-chademo-ccs-combo-dc-quick-charger/

Yes, the cables and how bulky they are is what will make this all hard to strap on a bike. I played with a lot of ideas to put this on a Ribelle and never came up with anything that would be practical.

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2023, 01:27:15 PM »

The Setec chargers are $3600.00 here: https://www.evseadapters.com/products/portable-chademo-ccs-combo-dc-quick-charger/

Yes, the cables and how bulky they are is what will make this all hard to strap on a bike. I played with a lot of ideas to put this on a Ribelle and never came up with anything that would be practical.
guess we stick with the bike as is and for now just customise the seat and so on, once warranty is expired still keen to hack it.... In any case, loving the LW and hoping HD continues this. 
Tom

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2023, 02:07:47 AM »

Some time has passed. I think the infrastructure will move perfectly into the LW use case. Overnight charging on AC and DCFC when charging is needed on the go. I think it was pretty smart for HD to set it up that way.

There is no money/R&D going into making higher power AC inverters smaller or more efficient. If the industry isn't doing it, then hobbyists will have a very tough row to hoe trying to do it themselves. It's all about battery chemistry and motor power/efficiency right now.

Now with vehicles getting 70-100 KWH battery packs and chargers pushing upwards of 300KW charging speeds even a 50KW charger can be considered a "Destination Charger"

Look how many Plugshare checkin's list 25kw chargers with "slow charging rate" and only stayed for a hot minute to get enough juice to got to a "real" charger that can push 100kw or more.

The reality, at least here in North America, is that there are so few electric motos on the road that we just can't collectively move the needle in our direction. (LW sells a couple hundred a year, globally. Energica sells more but not orders of magnitude more) We have to be able to go with the flow. There will be fewer and fewer AC public chargers and none of them will get upgraded. They barely get repaired.

HD went all in on DCFC and provided the bare minimum functionality with the AC charger. I think it's more reading the writing on the wall than cutting corners. The only dumb thing they did was price it at $30,000 before splintering it to it's own brand.

LW and Energica owners are all posting about getting faster Level 2 charging, while Zero owners are wishing they had DCFC instead of max 12KW AC.

TL:DR

Give up on cobbling together some faster AC charging solution. Your time and money is better spent pushing the infrastructure to have all the DC Chargers you need.

"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2023, 03:11:45 AM »

There will be fewer and fewer AC public chargers and none of them will get upgraded. They barely get repaired.
It depends on where. AC charging will always be common, especially if you include Tesla Destination stations which I often use on my Zeros as well as on my Energicas. Free AC charging is just about everywhere you look in Reno, Carson City, Gardnerville NV, even some free AC charging here in Auburn, CA. The big advantage of AC charging is every EV made can use it, in one way or another. Could need an adapter in many cases, but that is not a big deal. And it is also common at home and in some motels.

Also,  free AC Charging at many city halls, such as in Sparks, NV or in VA City, NV.

Not much need to repair them, they are cheap enough to replace. Not a whole lot inside of them. They are just 240 VAC supplies. I would be just as happy with a 240 VAC 14-50R. In fact, I prefer such as can usually get a lot higher current direct from a 14-50R than a J-1772 which can be as low as a shared 3KW which means 1.5 KW each side. 

I find the big problem to be unreliable CCS.

A few examples:

1. Hawthone, NV. Totally dead for more than a year.
2. Fallon, NV. Totally dead for more than a year.
3. CA I-80 Donnor Summit East, CA--totally dead for more than a year.
4. CA I-80 Donnor Summit West--totally dead for around six months.
5. Incline Village, NV, dead for around seven months.

On my 2020 Esse Esse 9, I could get to more places three years ago than I can today.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2023, 10:13:49 PM »

You're kind of a unique case Don but let me ask you this.

If you had to give up a KWH of battery capacity to gain another KW of AC charging speed how many would you give up? If you had to add $2000.00 to the purchase price and 25 pounds for every additional 3.6 kw of charging speed with a permanent 15 liter top case you couldn't put anything in what would you spec your bike at?

or....

If all the CCS chargers worked 99% of the time and they were every 50 miles but you had to post regularly and advocate for that on Tesla, Hyundai, Kia, and other EV Car forums, blow up Plugshare and charge network provider's apps/websites,  and email your state officials on the regular to ask for it.

Which one would you choose?
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2023, 12:50:12 AM »

If you continue to not read the things I post then yes, absolutely. It should be totally simple. Have fun!

When are you going to learn, it's not about reading, it's about being read :D

Setec DOES make a charger that will convert 240 AC single phase to DC fast charge,  they can actually custom make a charger for you too if you talk nice to them to pretty much whatever specs you want.  I had them make me a custom 30KW charger that runs off 240 Mains input.  It's modular so if I am at say a track garage and there is only one 30 amp input, I only run one of the modules and get what I can out of it.  When I am at home where I have 400 amp service, I can push what I need thru it.

The 10kw ones are a stock item and if you order one should ship very fast for you.

Aaron

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2023, 12:56:19 AM »

The price of the Setec charger is a bit expensive, especially if you buy it 3rd party.
Try talking to them directly, you should be able to work out a much better deal with them and they can have FedEx deliver it literally to your door. I got my 30kw fast charger, delivered to my door for under 5k.  I'll post photos when it actually gets here, it's enroute now.

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2023, 05:26:41 AM »

Which one would you choose?
Depends on the trip I am trying to take.

Perfect for me will be 25% more range than I really need to get between chargers every one hour of riding. 

What bike I take will depend on the type of charge stations on the way.

-Don-
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2023, 05:29:32 AM »

It's like talking to a cockatoo.   it makes sounds, but mainly for attention.  geesh....

Pages: 1 [2]