• April 28, 2024, 09:36:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: An Unfortunate Letter to the Editor  (Read 1060 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
An Unfortunate Letter to the Editor
« on: July 13, 2010, 02:20:06 AM »

I was reading the August issue of Motorcycle Consumer News today and came across an unfortunate letter in their "Letters" section. It was titled "Not a Greenbike Fan" and was written by a fellow named Scott in Anchorage, Alaska. Here is what he had to say:

"I will never ride an electric motorcycle and resent having the green crowd getting ready to try to ram them down my throat. Allowing such tests to take up space in MCN make you an accessory to the ramming.
  It is time for all motorcyclists to actively oppose the green crowd whether they are locking up land or foisting elect4ic motorcycles on us."

This guy either has some personality issues or works for BP.

The editor did not respond to the letter.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Kelly

• View Profile
Re: An Unfortunate Letter to the Editor
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 03:42:36 AM »

Are you certain it wasn't signed, "Mr.  Dinosaur"?

Actually, it reminds me of letters I read in the paper back in 1909 when the Model T Ford was introduced. It was a call to arms to stop those "newfangled" horseless carriages. Horse owners all over the place were having a fit. There were only 106 million people in 1910 and the country did not have paved roads or gas stations on every corner and in the following 18 years Ford alone sold 15 million cars.

Maybe not in our lifetime, but someday in the not-to-distant future, there will be no such thing as an internal combustion engine in use for transportation, just like there are no horses and buggies being used for transportation today. He can protest all he wants, but he might as well go to the shores of the Pacific Ocean and protest against the waves from crashing on the beach.

It is very interesting but exactly 100 years ago a new form of transportation was introduced and it changed the world and now 100 years later, another new form of transportation is hitting the market and it too will change the world.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 07:00:54 AM »

You make some good points, Kelly. The comparison of the birth of the automobile to the current birth of practical electric vehicles is what attracted me to the product - plus I am crazy about motorcycles and they had become a bit boring after 48 years of riding 40 different models.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 11:49:46 PM »

I must agree the "green crowd" has done a lot of bad, so it looks like this guy didn't think too much before he jumped to the conclusion the "green crowd" was up to no good again.  I know people who are anti progress and change, that might also be the case with this guy. That way of thinking still surprises me, because I am certain the world is flat, and breaking the sound barrier is not possible.  Why must Motorcycles be limited to some outdated looking style with a gas powered motor?  I like the Can-am spyder with 2 front wheels, if it were lower in price I might buy one.  Electric motors are neat, they have the sound of a Tie Fighter.  I just hope these kind of people won't be heard by the manufacturers who are already slow enough to make new products.  It appears electric motorcycles are gaining popularity though, so that is a good trend.
Pages: [1]