• June 17, 2024, 09:36:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cant change my PIN  (Read 1228 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Cant change my PIN
« on: April 16, 2023, 06:29:00 AM »

So Im trying to change the PIN on my bike so in case I ever lose the key, I can still start it and get it home.

I am in the menu but the one that says 'change pin' stays blue it will let me hover it but won't activate it to let me in to change my pin.  It's like it's locked out or something.

No idea what the original pin from  manu is, was never told to me, which is why I want to change it.

Any ideas?

I have all 3 of my keys so access should not be the issue.

Thanks
Aaron

chisquare

• View Profile
Re: Cant change my PIN
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 01:29:14 PM »

Sry, no solution here but the same issue with a keyless SS9+RS. Therefore keeping an eye on this thread.
Cheers, Urs
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

EvaMuc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 08:03:54 PM »

For me the default PIN was "0000" (4 zero's).
According to manual, you can only change/reset the PIN if you activated the bike with a key or with the correct PIN, and you cannot reset the PIN while charging.

Best, Jens

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 05:44:51 PM »

Thank you @Specter for raiding this issue.

Tested it out.

Key way out of range, press start button, display comes on saying no key in range.

Press and hold key on button until the enter code screen comes up, entered 0000 and bike turned on.

To change pin, key on bike normally, navigate to settings menu and enter change pin code screen.  It first asks for existing pin which again is 0000 default.

I did not have the issue you reported where the change option was inactive once on screen.

I like this feature!  If you have the EONE seat key elimination solution you can leave that key at home!

Default code is 0000

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 07:17:10 PM »

Ok, i tested this out and well.

It was VERY BUGGY !!  Energica might want to look into this a bit.

I had to retry it several times before it finally took.  When it asks for your code and all, it's not very intuitive that it wants the new one / old one etc, and more times than not I'd long hold it like it asked and it double jumped right past the screen into the back to regular driving screen.

Finally I got it to take and now my pin is changed.

**** WARNING ****

To Anybody who has an Energicia Bike, I would STRONGLY SUGGEST that you change your pin code asap.
I should have thought about this myself,   common passwords are abcd, 1234, 0000 etc as a first try / default password.

This is not hidden knowledge that the default is 0000.

Until you change this, you might as well leave your key sitting on the bike, I can walk right up, type it in and ride off with YOUR BIKE.

Also as an FYI, I used the pin 0000 to turn the bike on, then navigated to the pin menu and change it, so you don't even need the key to change the pin, just know the pin (oooo)

As a suggestion to Energica - have your dealers tab in a random pin when they sell the bikes, and then tell the customer on that day what THEIR PIN is.  Use a julian calendar setup or something it doesn't have to be stupid creative, but would add a better layer of security to the bike.  OR HAVE YOUR DEALERS TELL THE CUSTOMER TO CHANGE IT THEMSELVES ASAP, possibly even walk them thru the process AT THE DEALER, so the customer understands the bike better, and if there are any hiccups they are at the right place to FIX them.

Just my 2 watts worth.

Aaron

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 07:47:05 PM »

^^^  Excellent info!

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 10:04:17 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up! Didn't think it would be so easy to unlock any Energica bike on which the default PIN hasn't been changed. To be fair, in the printed Esseesse9+RS manual, Energica recommends changing the PIN when buying a bike 2nd hand. However, they don't say a thing about newly purchased bikes. In the earlier pdf version of the manual however, the whole PIN functionality wasn't even mentioned as it was introduced only in a later firmware.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

i.ngma.r

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 08:28:01 PM »

Can someone help me or walk me through the steps?
I want to change the PIN on my Experia (FW 43).

When starting the bike with the active key, I can browse to the keyless menu but pressing mode on „PIN code reset“ doesn’t do anything. Tried long press, short press, no difference.

Same when starting the bike with the backup key (active key out of range, holding backup key against the antenna location).

What is really curious:

When I start the bike without a key it just says „key not in range“ and turns off again. It doesn’t ask for a PIN, so I cannot try to use a default PIN.

Does it need to be enabled somewhere?
I remember that it showed me the PIN Entry screen before, no idea why it’s not showing up now.

Edit:

Figured out how to start the Bike using PIN, but also when started by PIN the PIN Code Reset menu doesn’t do anything.

Edit 2:
Ok, got it working. I just spammed the Mode button on „PIN Code Reset“ and when holding the Backup Key to the Antenna Location suddenly a window popped up asking for a PIN. In that window I engeres a new PIN.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 08:49:49 PM by i.ngma.r »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2024, 05:31:23 AM »

I find that when I don't have my key, when you get the first key not in range message upon startup, release the button and then  hold it in again until it recycles and then it should give you the pin entry screen.  Sometimes it'll lock up for a bit and just hold the button in for 20 seconds or so (pain in the ass really is) and it'll recycle and should give you the pin screen.

Hopefully in a later update they fix this so that if key is not in range it pulls up this menu first thing, without having to retry or play button games, because it never fails that all of the sudden it starts pouring and here my nappy ass is, stuck in the downpour trying to get the bike into the garage without the damned key which is inside and up in my bedroom or somewhere NOT easily grabbable  :(

Aaron

MichaelJ

• Can haz e-cruiser?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2024, 11:43:20 AM »

This PIN issue only affects Energicas with the keyless feature, correct?
Zero gasoline in the garage since May 2017

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2024, 12:57:57 PM »

Michael, I am going to take a leap of faith and say you are correct.
With a key bike, the only way to turn it on, is to turn the key, there is no button push thingie.

Aaron

MichaelJ

• Can haz e-cruiser?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2024, 01:22:21 PM »

Good to know.  Thank you, Aaron!
Zero gasoline in the garage since May 2017
Pages: [1]