Makes And Models > Zero Motorcycles Forum | 2012 and older

2011 Zero S won't turn on any more

(1/1)

Alan. Yes THAT Alan:
The latest problem in a long line of problems with Zero:

I got the Nissan Leaf batteries finally installed. I got the temperature sensor removed from the batteries. Then I drove for 8 wonderful, glorious miles. For the first time since this Zero left the factory in 2011, it ran great, it had an estimated range of 37.3 miles, it never died, it never errored.

That was 2 days ago. Since then, all I did was plug it up to recharge while it's in the garage. That's it.

Today, while in the garage dealing with problems with other vehicles, I heard beeping every few minutes. It's from my Zero. It hasn't been touched for 2 days. It hasn't been plugged into a charger for about 30 hours.
 It beeps 4 short + 1 long (Low-power pack warning), followed immediately by 4 long (too hot).

I took out a fuse and measured with my multimeter in the fuse brackets= 56.3 volts. How can that me low-power?
 I think today's high was 70 degrees and the zero hasn't even been turned on in 2 days. How can it be too hot?

Next, I turned on the key, and the beeps are 3 long (Fail power-on self-test). Plus, the red triangle on the dashboard continuously flashes twice (Self-test failed).

Next, I connected my laptop to the Zero and tried to log in, as I have a hundred times in the past with no problem. This time I got:
- Running Self-Test.... Passed
- Establishing CAN connection to BMS.... Failed
- Waiting for enable from BMS..

And there is just hangs forever. The big multi-pin connector plugged into the back of the battery is still plugged in there tight, as it was 2 days ago when everything rode fine.

What am I overlooking? How do I get this BMS to behave?

I hate Zero.

Alan. Yes THAT Alan:
Found it! For the third time in as many weeks, I had to remove the battery pack from the motorcycle.  When I opened up the battery pack, I saw that the group of wires that plugs into the battery-computer had slid out just a little bit at one end, so it was making an intermittent connection. As soon as I pushed the plug in, about half a millimeter, the beeping stopped. The motorcycle was able to turn on again.
  Really easy to fix. Not at all easy to get to.

All is good now. The motorcycle is reassembled, and it runs great again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version