• April 29, 2024, 02:56:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What happened to the Live Wire Iron Butt?  (Read 947 times)

Motoproponent

• View Profile
What happened to the Live Wire Iron Butt?
« on: August 09, 2023, 09:12:10 AM »

I recently completed my first Iron Butt ride. A Saddle Sore 1000 on a KTM 1190 ADV. As I wait for the Iron Butt Riders Association (IBRA) to cash my check the algorithms served up this article about a Livewire doing the SS1000 (a thousand miles in 24 hours or less).

https://jalopnik.com/yes-you-can-do-an-iron-butt-on-a-harley-davidson-livew-1842461996

But if you look at the list of ride finishers on the IBRA's website  https://www.ironbutt.org/certified.htm#SaddleSore1000 this ride isn't listed. In fact no electric bike is listed except Terry Hershner's heavily modified Zero streamliner in 2014.

I mean there is at least one person that did it, why is there no record on the archive? Do people just do it and not get it certified?

"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

Specter

• View Profile
Re: What happened to the Live Wire Iron Butt?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 07:12:06 PM »

Or maybe so few people care about it that they don't bother anymore.  What started out sounding like a great or run idea, never got the support it needed and then just fell by the wayside?  Over the years I have seen that a lot with various challenges here and there.

Did you reach out to them and see what they said about it?

Aaron

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 10:48:20 PM »

I've sent them an email and reached out through the online contact form. I haven't heard back. The last time they updated the website was January of this year for rides certified through December 2022.

I mean they aren't a profitable club and they use volunteers to certify and record the sanctioned rides. I guess I can't be too critical.

But, it's been a month since I did my ride and they haven't even confirmed it will be certified. Their documentation requirements are pretty strict. I can't imagine it would be easy to get them to accept anything other than gas receipts or Spotwalla tracks. Maybe it's just too hard to demonstrate to their satisfaction that you actually did 1000 miles in 24 hours or less with a bunch of screen shots from 12 different charging apps. lol
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 01:10:56 AM »

I called bullshit from day 1. The route was fake, the numbers were unrealistic, and there was no data. Someone involved insisted they would get back to me with numbers and data. They never did. I still call bullshit.

It didn't happen.

edit- I am friends with Mike, the head of the IBA. He takes these records VERY seriously and will not certify bogus records. No one has successfully set a production electric record because it's hard to do. And he has specific requirements for electric to make sure people don't fudge it. And the requirements are no joke. We're talking specific routes, timelapse footage to make sure you're not drafting, rider height/weight, specific check-ins at all stops, etc.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 01:13:35 AM by MVetter »
Pages: [1]