• May 09, 2024, 04:14:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero Next Gen App Update. Old App Retired  (Read 1053 times)

EVFX

• Tweaker
    • View Profile
Zero Next Gen App Update. Old App Retired
« on: September 20, 2023, 12:42:27 PM »

I was made aware of this message from Zero on the Discord regarding the Cypher II bikes and Next Gen App.
I noticed it hasn't been mentioned on this forum, so I found the post from the Elektroroller Forum in Germany and will share it here:
Original Post Dated: August 30, 2023

Hello Zero Owners,

In about one week, NextGen app version 2.8.0 will be released with full functionality for ALL Zero models. This is a particularly important update for Cypher II Zero owners (FX, FXE, S, DS, DSR) to pay attention to.

If you own a Cypher II model and have not updated the firmware on your bike, now is the time. The older legacy Zero app will be permanently retired August 31, 2023, and in order to be eligible for future firmware updates through the new NextGen app, you will need to have the most recent app version (2.7.2) installed. Failure to complete this prior to August 31 means you will be required to visit a local dealer to manually update your MBB/BMU/BMS firmware to the latest version to ensure future firmware update eligibility through the NextGen app.

This newest app version addresses the following bug fix and concerns:

• Restores firmware update functionality for Cypher II bikes (with eligible firmware) from the app (explained above).

• Significant improvement to firmware updates for Cypher III bikes.

• Improvements to Cypher upgrade systems.

• Updated urls of Privacy Policy in stores.

• Refinements in custom ride modes.

• Bug fixes and improvements.

This app version will go live for both Android and iOS users.

Please contact us at ownersupport@zeromotorcycles.com if you have any questions.

Thank you for your continued support!

Original Post:
https://www.elektroroller-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=37309
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 12:44:36 PM by EVFX »
2022 Zero FX
1983 Honda V45 Sabre

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Zero Next Gen App Update. Old App Retired
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 05:52:54 PM »

You're right.  I would've SWORN I posted something about this as Zero announced it on the Facebook Group a couple of weeks ago.  I'm wondering when we'll hear that the dealer-installed software upgrade to the Gen2 bikes will be available so I can schedule an appointment to get my 2021 SR upgraded.  Once the firmware has been installed, Zero says all future upgrades will be user-installable via the NextGen app.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 06:24:41 PM »

I'm confused, and it doesn't help that both apps have the same version number. Do both apps need to be installed and on 2.7.2 to apply FW updates to gen 2 bikes? I can't see why the old app would be required. And does the bike need to be updated to the latest firmware for the new app to do future updates? Again I don't see why this would be needed.

My original app is only on 2.1.3 on Android, automatic updates are on and the app store says the last update was all the way back on 4th March, so if 2.7.2 is required then I'm fucked. Last time I tried the new app it wouldn't connect to my phone and when I tried opening it just now it would close itself. Uninstalled and installed it again and it's now on 2.8.0, so I guess I'll try it tomorrow and see if it'll connect this time.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 07:32:45 PM »

I just tried the Zero app on my Android phone for my 2018 Zero S and it still works fine. Whether or not it will pick up any more updates from Zero, I have no idea. But my observation is that Zero has not offered any updates for my bike for over a year and I am pretty sure that they are done with messing around with the older Gen 2 models, when it come to firmware updates - which is probably a good idea as they seemed to have solved all of the bugs that may have been around on those models by now.

I will also mention (again) that my daughter's 2014 Zero S has never had a firmware update since it left the factory in early 2014 and still runs just as well as my fully-updated 2018 model. So go figure.....   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Floki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 02:31:18 AM »

I just tried the Zero app on my Android phone for my 2018 Zero S and it still works fine. Whether or not it will pick up any more updates from Zero, I have no idea. But my observation is that Zero has not offered any updates for my bike for over a year and I am pretty sure that they are done with messing around with the older Gen 2 models, when it come to firmware updates - which is probably a good idea as they seemed to have solved all of the bugs that may have been around on those models by now.

I will also mention (again) that my daughter's 2014 Zero S has never had a firmware update since it left the factory in early 2014 and still runs just as well as my fully-updated 2018 model. So go figure.....   ???

Thanks for sharing, all. This firmware business is most vexing. Knowing about Richard’s daughter’s bike still working well after 9 years with no updates makes me think if it’s not broken don’t fix it. My FXE works great, so I’m not going out of my way to get an update that might actually create problems. There have been several reports of updates that left bikes with problems they didn’t have before.
2022 Zero FXE
2011 Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 SE

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 02:33:30 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them pull a stunt like apple did some years back, purposely fuck up the phones to force people to buy newer ones.

Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 03:29:39 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them pull a stunt like apple did some years back, purposely fuck up the phones to force people to buy newer ones.

Aaron

I hear that a lot of internet companies are transiting to a "subscription" format where you have to pay a fee every month to get access to their product or service. That really helps their bottom line and keeps income coming in even without someone new buying their product or service.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

EVFX

• Tweaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 05:11:42 AM »

The way I understand it is the old app will still work, but won't push any firmware updates.
So you will need the latest firmware for the Cypher II bikes to enable or allow firmware updates from the Next Gen App.
The Next Gen App version I have is 2.8.0
The picture they posted just adds confusion so I'll ignore it.

I didn't plan on doing any firmware updates to my FX as it works fine. But I still made an appointment with the dealer anyways. I didn't want to lock myself out of the new app if I do run into problems in the future. Any company's app support is questionable as time goes on.

The dealer flashed the latest firmware to my bike:
MBB version 37
BMS version 44

Zero's website with Firmware info only shows 36 and 43 as the latest versions available for the Cypher II bikes.

When I check the firmware information on the Next Gen App, it tells me the firmware is out of date and to see the dealer as soon as possible  ::)

The bike still operates as it always did, however I swear the motor isn't as buzzy as it used to be, and the throttle roll-on in sport mode seems to be more responsive. Butt dyno could just be out of calibration though.... ;D
Also it seems the motor temp reads higher. Normally it would be just under 80f whenever I pulled it out of the garage. Now it seems to be closer to 95f. I would have expected the motor temp to be whatever the garage temp is when I first pull it out for the day, but that was never really the case to begin with.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 08:46:06 AM by EVFX »
2022 Zero FX
1983 Honda V45 Sabre

EVFX

• Tweaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2023, 07:18:41 AM »

I noticed Zero posted a response to their original message. I thought I'd share it here for those who aren't on the facebook

Hello Zero Owners,
We apologize for any confusion or sense of alarm caused by our previous post concerning both app and firmware updates. We hope to clear up any confusion, but please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at ownersupport@zeromotorcycles.com if you have additional questions.

The older legacy Zero app will be sunsetting support as of today, meaning it will no longer be accessible for download in the App Store or Google Play Store, nor will it receive another update. One point we want to correct & clarify is that you do not need to take action regarding updates today, we simply want to inform you about the legacy app’s retirement and the brighter future coming of seamless firmware updates for all Zero owners.

In about one week we’re releasing version 2.8.0 of the Zero Motorcycles NextGen app. This app will offer fully integrated features for both Cypher II and Cypher III owners, including the functionality for Cypher II users (on both iOS and Android) to push firmware updates via the app.

In order for Cypher II users to be able to utilize app based firmware updates in the future, they’ll need to have the next firmware update (expected in September) installed. This release will be MBB version 37, BMS version 45, which will need to be completed by your dealer. This will be the last time a Cypher II owner’s firmware will require a dealer visit, because once completed, all future firmware revisions will be accessible via the NextGen app.

Moving to one app is going to allow Zero to more accurately direct resources to ensure ALL owners have a continually improving experience. We'll be sure to update you here as soon as NextGen version 2.8.0 is live.
Thank you for your patience and continued support!
2022 Zero FX
1983 Honda V45 Sabre

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2023, 05:38:14 PM »

Guess I'll E-Mail Filipacchi in Manhattan to see if they've got the CypherII firmware upgrade yet...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2023, 07:37:04 PM »

Will this announcement affect legacy models made before the Cyber II system was invented? My app still seems to be working as usual for my 2018S, although I haven't received any updates for about a year. But perhaps that is because they are no longer needed as the bike is running great and seems to have no firmware problems.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2023, 02:54:39 AM »

Just heard back from Filipacchi.  They said they spoke to Zero, and that the upgrade has been pushed back a few weeks so it isn't available yet and that I should check back with them in two weeks time.  They don't have any more information than that.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1]