• April 27, 2024, 12:31:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 900 Fast chargers per week?  (Read 890 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
900 Fast chargers per week?
« on: January 17, 2024, 01:32:24 PM »

See here.

"That's 900 new EV chargers each week, or more than 46,000 per year."

But IMAO, the number means little. The locations mean a lot.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 01:38:11 PM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: 900 Fast chargers per week?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 08:49:58 PM »

I read an article in my newspaper last week that said that the big push by the federal government to install 500K EV charging stations around the country was going nowhere fast. The article said that only one charger had been installed across the entire country under that program. The article claimed that many states had received funds to install EV chargers but were just not sure what to do with it and how to actually create charging station contracts with private companies who would build the chargers. The program was completely bogged down in politics and regulations that first needed to be established to determine where the stations would go, who would get the contracts, how much each station would cost, who would run the program, etc.

I wonder which news item is right? My personal opinion is that my newspaper article is more likely to be correct as I just can't imagine the government actually being able to install 900 EV chargers a week. If that is happening in the SF Bay Area I sure haven't heard about it and I am sure that if that was happening here it would be widely reported on the local TV and radio news stations.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 09:32:33 PM »

I read an article in my newspaper last week that said that the big push by the federal government to install 500K EV charging stations around the country was going nowhere fast. The article said that only one charger had been installed across the entire country under that program. The article claimed that many states had received funds to install EV chargers but were just not sure what to do with it and how to actually create charging station contracts with private companies who would build the chargers. The program was completely bogged down in politics and regulations that first needed to be established to determine where the stations would go, who would get the contracts, how much each station would cost, who would run the program, etc.

I wonder which news item is right? My personal opinion is that my newspaper article is more likely to be correct as I just can't imagine the government actually being able to install 900 EV chargers a week. If that is happening in the SF Bay Area I sure haven't heard about it and I am sure that if that was happening here it would be widely reported on the local TV and radio news stations.   ???
Yeah, I saw that article also. It's a slow process, as I kinda expected, but I do see a couple of more CCS fast chargers at great locations either already there or "coming soon". Such as the one in Coleville, CA (already being used) and the one coming soon to Portola, CA just south of Lake Davis. Those are great locations for my Energicas.

But they still need a CCS fast charger north on Hwy 395 from here. And many other places in CA as well as NV.  For this area, we would have enough now if all the broken ones were repaired, with the exception of Hwy 395 north.  But it is very rare for a CCS charger to ever be repaired after it breaks. Many important places have been broken for more than a year, such as the CCS at Incline, Village, NV and Hawthone, NV. And both rest stops at Donner Summit and many more.

I also would like to see J-1772s at every CCS station. Seems mainly only Chargepoint does such--with their newer locations.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 03:31:16 AM »

900 new installs per week? WoW

How many will still be working a month later?
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 04:26:03 AM »

How many will still be working a month later?

If they are installed under a government program, not very many. In general governments at all levels are good at building stuff, but not so good a maintaining and repairing them.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 05:07:34 AM »

How many will still be working a month later? Good question!

If they are installed under a government program, not very many. In general governments at all levels are good at building stuff, but not so good a maintaining and repairing them.  ::)
When it comes to CCS, the government could not be doing any worse than EV-GO. Broken CCS chargers all over the county with some of the most important locations out for more than a year.

Such as the EV-Go at Incline Village, NV. Same with the old ChargePoint's that are owned by the property owners, Such as the ONLY CCS charger in Fallon, NV.

I have yet to see even ONE CCS charger EVER repaired anywhere. Once they break, they are never fixed.

No way can our federal government do any worse than that!

Does ANYBODY in this forum know of even one broken CCS charger which was been repaired?  I don't.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 06:36:20 AM »

Richard a big part of the problem is the roolz.  I believe part of it states that to be able to qualify for some of the fed buxx, the charging station has to be within a mile of an interstate / major rode etc.  That is killing a TON of them right there.  I mean shit, even when you pull off the highway,you sometimes have to drive a mile or two to get to the gas station that advertised on that exit, or the booger king that advertised on that exit, or the hotel etc etc.   The price of the land right ON the highway is just too stupid expensive, so they build a little off, not to mention some of the regs make it very restrictive to realistically build essentially 'on' the highway.

If they'd fix the fucking rules to let say people within 5 miles of the interstate get the funds to put up their charging stations, I believe they'd literally explode with new places to charge up.  I am with the American Legion, I wanted to do something with a charger at our post, yes, for me, Im not going to pretend I had no self interest in this,  BUT to bring people IN to our post to help support it, and was looking into the grants.  Now granted (no pun intended) am not an expert on this stuff or where exactly to look but it was just mind boggling and a total mess, only to find out, nope, you are 3.2 miles away, you don't qualify.

people really don't care about the J Plug chargers, they are more a novelty or advertising gimmick, and the cheapest fast charger is like 15k or more for just a 10kwatt station.  Ive got the board convinced that they'd allow such a thing but the money is the problem.  I think it'd be a great idea, come charge with us, and while you are waiting for your car to charge, we have a restaurant and a bar, and wifi.  Most nights there's some activity going on too.

The 'good chargers' are expensive as fuck, when they break, which they WILL, cost a LOT to fix, and you'd need a gob ton of people and thruput to break even on them let alone make any sort of profit off it.  At best, they might be a decent loss leader at this point without the fed buxx to justify them.

They put up the money for them but made it so obscenely hard for people who might be interested, to get any of it.

JMO.

Aaron

hotsauce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 11:06:14 PM »

Does ANYBODY in this forum know of even one broken CCS charger which was been repaired?  I don't.
-Don-  Reno, NV

Yeah, absolutely. The fast charger situation on the east coast seems all around less grim than on the west. Probably lower demand means less wear, and less frequent breakdowns means it's easier to keep up with repairing them.
That said, EVGo is useless half the time, and they seem to have the biggest problem with non-functioning chargers. Then there's Blink, which apparently took over a number of broken EVGo locations and then proceeded to not fix them

hotsauce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 11:08:20 PM »

I think it's pretty safe to bet that they're including Level 2 chargers in these numbers, and probably even home chargers

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 04:25:16 AM »

An article that I read a couple of weeks ago said that only two  :o fast EV chargers have been installed in the U.S. so far funded by the government program that was approved a couple of years ago.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2024, 05:32:23 AM »

Richard, one of the biggest problems is, I believe the rules say it must be located within a mile of the interstate.  Now anyone who has ever travelled knows for a fact that a lot of the gas stations might be a mile and a half, even two from the interstate, that is making them ineligible for the grants.  It's kind of hard to get right on the interstate in many places, the price is insane and it just might not be a good place to put a building, right in the middle of the clover etc as an example.

I hear a lot of complaining that the chargers are breaking down.
WHAT exactly is breaking on them, I want to know.  Is it the charger board, the internet connection thing, the keypad, what part is the most failure prone?

TBH there is a bit of copper in those charging cables, I am surprised that some places are not seeing a lot more theft of them from crack heads looking for a 5 dollar item to pilfer to the junkyard for a crack rock.

Aaron

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2024, 04:14:12 PM »

Aaron, In the case of a ChargePoint CCS charger near me the latch on the plug has been broke for over a year now. I notified ChargePoint on 19 January 2023 of this problem. It has yet to be fixed and seems to be abandoned.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2024, 08:34:02 PM »

Aaron, In the case of a ChargePoint CCS charger near me the latch on the plug has been broke for over a year now. I notified ChargePoint on 19 January 2023 of this problem. It has yet to be fixed and seems to be abandoned.

My guess is that ChargePoint and other companies like that check out their financial records for each charger that is reported broken and if they have not made a profit on it, they abandon the charger. Apparently there is no penalty for doing so. Maybe there needs to be some sort of government requirement that once approved and installed the company owning it will be required to maintain it in working order or be fined for every day that it has not been repaired after being notified to do so by public complaints.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2024, 08:32:54 AM »

My guess is that ChargePoint and other companies like that check out their financial records for each charger that is reported broken and if they have not made a profit on it, they abandon the charger. Apparently there is no penalty for doing so. Maybe there needs to be some sort of government requirement that once approved and installed the company owning it will be required to maintain it in working order or be fined for every day that it has not been repaired after being notified to do so by public complaints.
There  is a lot going on with EV-Go right now. They are removing all of their 50 KW DCFCs. Some will be replaced with 250 KW others will be removed and not replaced. But they are being very slow about doing anything other than taking chargers out of service.

In other news, Ford and a couple of other makes can now use the Tesla Superchargers (V3 & V4) PLUG & PLAY just like Telsa. Plug in and walk away. They still need the adapter until next year when they go to the NACS connector.

See here.

I wonder when Energica will get on this bandwagon.

-Don- Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2024, 06:29:25 PM »

How does it work with the pricing on these fast chargers.  With gasoline pumps they used to have to put numbers on top of the pump maybe 1 inch high but now there is a little window with the per gallon price some electric digit.  Sure, it can be plug and play if you have a card on file and the vehicle is recognized by the charger but what do you have to do to know how much it intends on charging your card.
Pages: [1] 2