• April 27, 2024, 11:25:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 10 Reasons You Should Never Buy An EV  (Read 716 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
10 Reasons You Should Never Buy An EV
« on: February 01, 2024, 02:23:57 PM »

See here for the ten reasons.

-Don-  Reno, NV

"
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Starpower

• View Profile
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Never Buy An EV
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 10:59:53 PM »

Can't read it. Seems that perhaps you need to be a subscriber.
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 01:30:40 AM »

Can't read it. Seems that perhaps you need to be a subscriber.
I don't think so, as I do not think i subscribe and the link works fine here. But you're not missing much as I thought it was mostly BS anyway.

Besides, here are ten reasons to own an EV.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 02:07:40 AM »

Yeah it's all just the typical bullshit, no range, takes forever to charge, not enough options, cost of apps and subscriptions (because we all know that's an EV only thing), no chargers anywhere, the drain on the electricity grid. Sounds like it was written 10 years ago.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 05:21:38 AM »

DON'T FORGET THE FROZEN CHARGERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    PANT PANT GASP !!!!!

I don't know how many times the car failed to start in the cold because of water in the gas line, not to mention the fuel economy goes to shit on both EV's and ICE when you load them up.  That's just a physics thing,  oh the inconvenient truths!  Let's not forget the pumps not even working because they are froze up.

Here's something they won't tell you about EV's in the cold,  you get your heat Right  NOW.  You don't have to wait 25 minutes for the engine to warm up before you can start warming up! :)

BTW when the power is out because of a hurricane,  HOW ARE YOU GOING TO CHARGE ASSHOLE !!!!!!!     Umm.... the same way your pump at the gas station will run,, ASSHOLE...  Oh wait,  You will have to wait 3 weeks for them to re run the grid to the station because everything was flattened.  My panels still work, I literally can throw them out in the yard and oh hey look, my vehicle is charged and I can get around.  Maybe I'll swing by to make sure you are ok and bring some hot coffee to you.

Aaron

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 04:28:24 PM »

DON'T FORGET THE FROZEN CHARGERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    PANT PANT GASP !!!!!

I don't know how many times the car failed to start in the cold because of water in the gas line, not to mention the fuel economy goes to shit on both EV's and ICE when you load them up.  That's just a physics thing,  oh the inconvenient truths!  Let's not forget the pumps not even working because they are froze up.

Here's something they won't tell you about EV's in the cold,  you get your heat Right  NOW.  You don't have to wait 25 minutes for the engine to warm up before you can start warming up! :)

BTW when the power is out because of a hurricane,  HOW ARE YOU GOING TO CHARGE ASSHOLE !!!!!!!     Umm.... the same way your pump at the gas station will run,, ASSHOLE...  Oh wait,  You will have to wait 3 weeks for them to re run the grid to the station because everything was flattened.  My panels still work, I literally can throw them out in the yard and oh hey look, my vehicle is charged and I can get around.  Maybe I'll swing by to make sure you are ok and bring some hot coffee to you.

Aaron

I've been fast charging my Ioniq 5 for a year now, and it never takes more than 25 minutes to go from below 20% to 80+% SOC (even when it's cold out, and at a 150KW charger (the car would be faster on a 350KW charger).  I'm only fast charging since it's free.  If I were level 2 charging it takes no time (as we all know, plug in when you are not using it and it's always ready).  The battery has a 10 year warrantee (so I'm not so worried about that either).  It's amazing how well the oil industry has done pumping misinformation into the market, and how suckers are willing to take it at face value.

You are spot on on the heat, it is warm in the cabin super fast!

Yep, same old tired points.  I agree 100% that the charging networks could be better, especially here on the east coast, but it's not often I NEED a fast charger anyway.

I can't wait until some of the potential battery technologies are in shipping (solid state etc.) that give cars 1000 mile range and can charge in 10 minutes, then what will the EV haters have to complain about?

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 10:42:46 PM »

I stopped reading at three, which was the second lie in the series.  Usual MSM trash.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 07:43:15 AM »

One thing I do know is, there are good reasons not to get roof solar panels. PG&E and CPUC have sucked a lot of value out of it, generation has been minimal for months, and the ceiling in one of my bedrooms just fell in because the buffoons who installed them drilled holes in my new 50 year warranty roof.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 07:50:56 AM by Curt »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 07:16:44 PM »

They have to drill the holes to mount the thing.  If it fell in, either your roof was shit to begin with and they just put new tiles on a shitty roof, shame on the roofer, or they didn't plug the holes properly, it got water and rotted out, shame on the installer!

You have a mortgage?  If so you must have insurance, so file the claim and get them to fix it, that's why you pay them the huge dollars!!
Suing the installer might be an issue, something you might want to let your insurance company handle if it WAS a faulty install.

Was the roof warrantied or the shingles?  I know GAF insures the shingles for that long, but the actual roof? they don't cover that.

Aaron

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 11:39:50 AM »

The roof was absolutely solid and beautiful until the buffoons drilled 28 holes in it and failed to seal them correctly. I can see that it has been leaking and rotting for years. This is a pretty standard problem. There are ways to use purpose-made flashing over the mount points, but they just don't. That takes time and thought. When it stops raining, I'm going to go up and see if I can figure out what they did.

The moment you install solar, your roof warranty is VOID. They don't tell you this. My 50 year warranty is VOID. Often a solar company won't install a system until a new roof is installed -- and then instant VOID. But I think you are right, the warranty might just be for the shingles anyway.

I have to look into my solar paperwork because it was a 25 year warranty, but I'm not sure what that covered -- probably just parts and not labor. The company looks rude and evasive on BBB, does not respond to calls or emails. I have a call into State Farm, who will almost certainly reject it because (1) the first line of the policy says rain damage is not covered, and (2) faulty installations are not covered. I hope they might at least handle it through subrogation to the installer's insurance.

It's likely all of the panels have to be removed, so that all the racks can be removed, so that entire side of the house can be re-roofed. The only roofers who can respond in a timely fashion don't touch solar, so they need to bring in a third party.

I feel pretty silly spending tens of thousands to ruin my roof, which will then cost more to repair than 25 years worth of generation could save.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 01:37:13 PM »

I hate to say it but State Farm. I think you are fucked.
I had them long time ago, they would NOT cover my solar panels except for theft.  I have a 2 story house, how they gonna steal the panels?  That is just obsurd.  They would not cover ANYthing else with them so I told them to pack sand and got a better company.
State Farm have turned into cock suckers anyways on claims, always looking for real sleazy reasons to NOT pay them.  Oh so you LET them drill holes in your roof, YOU did that INTENTIONALLY, so we are not paying, type of stuff with them.

Yah typically roof repairs, you will have to get a solar company to remove the panels and rails, do the roof work, then reinstall them, count on about 3 to 5k for them to do that, THEN they drill holes in your brand new roof again. 

Find a different company that WILL insure the roof.  A decent insurance company, I use USAA will insure solar, AND the entire house for rain, or whatever else you policy up for.
If it's a faulty install, there is a chance you can go after the city too, especially if, like most cities, it's something that needs to be permitted, ie an inspector is supposed to sign off on the job, you can try to claim the inspector was negligent for NOT catching that they did not seal the roof right, but it will be a battle since they ARE government.

Good Luck
Aaron
Pages: [1]