Makes And Models > Zero Motorcycles Forum | 2013+

MY20 SR/S tank compartment lock failure

(1/3) > >>

FlipOW:
Hi all, yesterday the lock of the tank compartment from my SR/S failed. I forced the black plastic part of the side panel (where the lock is located) a bit aside and saw that the cable came loose from the lock itself. Is there any (quick) way to force the lock open (as my charging cable is inside..) or do I have to remove all plastics (as advised by the dealer and as explained in the service manual) to reach the lock itself?

SwampNut:
It is technically possible to reach the locking mechanism with a hook, but you'd have to know exactly where to reach and what it looks like.  I've had the fairing off, it's not terrible.  And I would like to add a hidden non-key way to open the box, for access while riding.  I made some mental notes on possible options, but ... have forgotten them all.  You might also be able to simply loosen and pry open the side plastic to reach up.  The mechanism is simple, and if you can reach it, you can pull the unlock cable on the back of the lock.  The latch is below the charger area, I think, which is a pain to remove.

LeverCommaJohn:
As SwampNut suggested, removing the fairings isn't that terrible. This is likely the safest option for you to prevent causing more damage. Once you have the tank fairing off, it will be a quick and easy matter to reattach the cable. There are some videos on YouTube which explain the disassembly process, but in a nutshell, here is the process:

1. Remove the mirrors
2. Remove the front cowl
3. Remove the outer side fairings, being sure not to forget the two screws on the bottom of the chassis, where the two fairings overlap
4. Remove the two push pins connecting the tank fairing to the inner side fairings.
5. Remove the inner side fairings.
6. Finally, remove the tank fairing. It's only held on with 4 easy to reach screws, but it can be a bit fiddly to remove, as you have to rotate it to clear the handlebars, etc.

FlipOW:

--- Quote from: LeverCommaJohn on February 14, 2024, 08:20:55 PM ---As SwampNut suggested, removing the fairings isn't that terrible. This is likely the safest option for you to prevent causing more damage. Once you have the tank fairing off, it will be a quick and easy matter to reattach the cable. There are some videos on YouTube which explain the disassembly process, but in a nutshell, here is the process:

1. Remove the mirrors
2. Remove the front cowl
3. Remove the outer side fairings, being sure not to forget the two screws on the bottom of the chassis, where the two fairings overlap
4. Remove the two push pins connecting the tank fairing to the inner side fairings.
5. Remove the inner side fairings.
6. Finally, remove the tank fairing. It's only held on with 4 easy to reach screws, but it can be a bit fiddly to remove, as you have to rotate it to clear the handlebars, etc.

--- End quote ---

Thanks! Almost the same procedure as explained in the service manual.

I tried to find some video’s on YT but couldn’t find anything, do you have some suggestions / links?

SwampNut:
I just dug into it, and referenced the manual when I had questions.  It's time, but not a big deal.  It will be VERY helpful to have a second person to remove the one big, unwieldy top piece.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version