• April 28, 2024, 01:43:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ~ Secondary battery from 2016 SR ~ $1000  (Read 537 times)

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
~ Secondary battery from 2016 SR ~ $1000
« on: February 28, 2024, 12:29:18 AM »

I have the extra range-extending power-pack battery on my 2016, but I'd rather have the storage space instead.
 Nothing at all wrong with this battery.
 The motorcycle only has a little over 3K miles on it.
 It looks like the battery will fit perfectly on a 2014, 2015, and possibly other years.

I'd like to sell my battery, mounting hardware, and the "gas tank" that goes with this battery for $1000 plus your old "gas tank" that has the storage compartment. My SR is red.

I'm located in south Texas. Meeting somewhere in person would be a lot easier than mailing this big battery and plastic "tank".

Specter

• View Profile
Re: ~ Secondary battery from 2016 SR ~ $1000
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 07:15:20 PM »

When was the battery pack actually purchased?  2016 or a later year?

Aaron

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 11:56:34 PM »

The secondary battery was purchased new, in 2016, as part of the motorcycle. A little over 3,000 miles ago. As you can see from the mileage, this motorcycle is only used on little trips around town.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 08:43:01 AM »

A Zero has to have a dealer software update to work with a power tank. An old 16 PT likely won't play nice with a newer less degraded battery if it can be connected at all.  Anyone interested can check with their local dealer for advise.

I'd advise Alan to just keep it and actually put some miles on an eight year bike and get a back pack.

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 08:37:25 AM »

I advise NEW2elec and other forum trolls that if they don't want to buy the battery, they are free to simply pass and move along in life, without making unwanted comments.

To everyone else,
 Contrary to what NEW2elec puked up, the battery is NOT degraded and, according to Zero's website, this power-tank is compatible with SR's ranging from 2015 - 2021, similar to what I originally wrote when I posted the ad. However, I'm not convinced it won't also fit in a 2014 model and I'm also not convinced that it isn't a plug-and-play installation. When I inspected a 2014 model, all of the wiring and plugs looked identical to my 2016.

If, like NEW2elec, you are one of the few people who even HAS a local dealer (many of us do not) and if you enjoy throwing money at said dealer (many of us do not) then by all means: go there and spend the $3,000+ that the local dealers charge (according to Zero's website.)

In the meantime, my working, low-mileage power-tank battery is still for sale for $1,000.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 07:30:55 AM »

Alan I don't care if you think I'm a troll.  Everything I posted is true and just points out this isn't a plug and play option for someone.  They have to get the Power tank software to use a power tank thus they have to have a dealer.  The two Atlanta dealers for Zero dropped them so I'm not a "lucky dealer close person" any more.

If you don't think Li Ion cells degrade after 8 years then you need to do some research.

But bottom line for someone looking to buy this is the fact this guy would rather have an empty hole than this $3k range extending battery option that came with this bike.

Might be a reason why.  Caveat emptor.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 06:36:39 AM »

One of the quirks about Lithium. You don't have to be using it, they will still degrade.  They have an inherent shelf life, regardless of usage profile.
8 years is starting to push the edges of that shelf life, that is why you see most batteries today being sold, with an 8 year warranty, or less.  Because they've been around long enough now, that they have a very good view, real life, not laboratory, of how long they last.

This is one of the main reasons I asked, how old is this battery.  Even if it was still in the OEM box, dendrites still grow.

Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 06:44:09 AM »

One of the quirks about Lithium. You don't have to be using it, they will still degrade.  They have an inherent shelf life, regardless of usage profile.
8 years is starting to push the edges of that shelf life, that is why you see most batteries today being sold, with an 8 year warranty, or less.  Because they've been around long enough now, that they have a very good view, real life, not laboratory, of how long they last.

This is one of the main reasons I asked, how old is this battery.  Even if it was still in the OEM box, dendrites still grow.

Aaron

The battery pack in my daughter's 2014 Zero S with PT is now over 10 years old and the range of her bike is just as long as it was when new.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 03:45:28 AM »

It does sound like a reasonable and negotiable deal for someone who is in South Texas and has a dealer nearby.

It's easy to see how a bike with such low mileage wouldn't need a power tank. It would help to know what the current difference in range is on this SR, with and without the power tank.

I'm also curious as to which Alan this is. :) Alan would you also need to visit a dealer to remove it?

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 10:43:20 AM »

Alan would you also need to visit a dealer to remove it?

No. I removed this battery with no problems. I prefer riding my Zero without that extra weight and with a lower center-of-gravity when this battery isn't in there. That cut into my range, but since I'm just making little trips around town, without any long commutes, I don't care about the range.
Pages: [1]