• June 17, 2024, 05:52:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Ribelle - talk me out of it !  (Read 2030 times)

princec

• View Profile
Re: Ribelle - talk me out of it !
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2024, 05:33:40 PM »

That was the total time from taking the bike in to getting it returned, so it included scheduling in the swap (which is quite a big job). The actual battery was almost immediately sourced - however it took several more weeks to get ahold of some of the wiring harness gubbins that are associated with the new pack. See how long it takes to get a pack replaced on any other EV ... I think they did reasonably well myself!

I wasn't too bothered at the time as I had another bike to use.

Cas :)

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2024, 04:00:14 AM »

Seat position: My testride of the Ribelle RS felt fine. Slightly more sporty position than FZ6 but I liked it.

Dealer network: There is supposed to be a new Danish dealer. I wrote to Energica to ask about it since nearest dealer on their website is in Sweden (where I tried the Energica). Sweden dealer is about 60-70 km away + bridge tax so it’s not great. Google doesn’t really get me any official Danish dealer. Maybe Energica answers me some day - just wrote to their standard mail found in website.

My FZ6 got sold today!
Weird to see it go… my first bike and had it for 16 years. First date with my wife was a backseat trip on this very bike about 8 years ago so a bit weird for her too.
I think I will not buy an Energica straight away. We are very busy with renovating parts of the house + also I wanna really feel the need to ride before before paying $$ for something that I don’t really need at all - but want ;)
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2024, 04:42:15 AM »

I wish my dealer was that close, ours is about 250 km.
You can change tires and play with the shocks a bit to get the bike a bit lower to the ground / feel different sitting on it, but while it is a bit forward, it is very easy to just let off it, sit back and relax when you are at lights etc and the bike will stay very well balanced.  It's not like the EGO where you are really pushed into a race stance.

I think you'll miss your bike soon enough that you'll want to get your EGO, or at least get it ordered now so that if it's not immediately available, in a few months it'll be there for you.

One thing that you probably did NOT notice on your test ride, which you will appreciate.. well maybe not so much where you live at but... it's not putting off heat when you DO find yourself stuck in traffic.  It's not putting off nasty fumes to breathe in either or noise.  You will learn to appreciate nature more, being able to take a nice quiet ride and hear the sounds around you much better than you would with an ICE rumbling at you.

Aaron

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2024, 08:24:29 AM »

Aaron >>

I am pretty sure I am going for a slightly used 2nd hand Ribelle.
Just like with our car (Tesla Model 3) I am simply still too cheap to buy brand new.

Not buying an EV bike to save the planet. But especially due to having owned a Model 3 LR for 4 years that has kind of ruined most of the joy of ICE (car and bike) - it’s simply too good.
I understand what you mean with the “off while idle”. It’s simply more effective…
About noise I actually think an Energica might generate the same noise as my now former FZ6 at low speeds. The Energica gear seemed surprisingly loud on my test ride (also recently saw/heard one slowly drive past our house while I was working on the front yard). As the FZ6 had stock exhaust it had a low monotone (almost electric ish) sound over it at constant low speed/rev.
Me being surprised of the kind of whiny Energica gear sound was likely because I tried a Zero SR/F a few weeks before I had a go on the Ribelle.
/// MrMogensen ///

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2024, 01:52:39 AM »

The Ribelle can be quieted down a tad by turning down the Regen a bit.  When it's regenning, being used as a generator, yes it can make some noise, but if it's just idling by, no electric / field / pole noise being generated, it's just gliding and you'll hear a soft rattling of the chain.  the noise is a derivative of the frequency of the electric you are making,  yes technically it is DC, but it's actually a chopped 3 phase sinusoidal waveform the motor is actually making, that gets smoothed by the inverter and put back into the battery, so it has a frequency to it, which of course changes, as the speed of the motor changes, and the rotor passes the windings at a slower rate.   anyways....

In glide, they are very quiet.

Aaron

EvaMuc

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2024, 03:11:51 AM »

The motor does not generate a sound. The noise of the Energicas comes from the gears between motor and pinion and was made on purpose by Energica, see e.g. here
https://www.epaddock.it/en/motoe-2021-interview-with-giampiero-testoni-technical-director-of-energica/

Is the bikes' sound electrical or mechanical?
“It's mechanical. The sound of MotoE was born from a precise marketing requirement of the commercial models: the management didn't want the bikes to be silent. This choice was transferred in the track model. The sound is generated by the gears installed between the electric motor and the pinion. Although they are rarely used because they are noisy and more expensive to be manufactured, we chose spur gears because of the characteristic sound above 20km/h. This choice also has advantages from a technical point of view because spur gears don't generate axial thrust as happens with helical gears".

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2024, 06:54:10 AM »

Loading the gears up with either power or regen they mesh harder and make noise.  Letting them free wheel with no load on them, they should be a lot quieter, ie coasting to a stop .vs. a powered stop via regen.  They will make some noise but nowhere as near as much as when under a load.

Aaron

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2024, 12:49:49 PM »

One thing that you probably did NOT notice on your test ride, which you will appreciate.. well maybe not so much where you live at but... it's not putting off heat when you DO find yourself stuck in traffic.

Aaron

That's such a true statement and very reason my itch was scratched back in 2009 when this was first realized...eBikes don't emit heat like IceBiikes...the Ribelle holds worthy to this.
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2024, 11:24:58 PM »

Ive ridden in numerous rides with groups of individuals.  Mostly Harleys, but anyways.  when we get into heavier traffic, or even a long light, there is always at least one of them, pulling off to the side because their bike is overheating, turning the thing off, they are sweating like pigs, (which I find very amusing because I always ride fully geared up and am not sweating much at all TBH), the hogs on the  back of their hogs are bitching because they are so hot from the air being blown up by the bike, etc etc :D :D

I have a little USB powered fan, I suction cup it to the windshield and plug it in the USB port and leave it running.  I just smile and say, you want to borrow this?  I don't need it, my bike runs cool.  Then there are the ones where the bike is bouncing and jumping and jittering all over the place like a dildo on overdrive, I just don't get that.  WHAT is appealing about that?  I can't think of anyone who enjoys being bounced all over the place.  Now throw radiator heat and exhaust fumes on top of that...along with loud obnoxious pipes and scratchy music being run thru shitty speakers because they got torn up by being bounced around so much.  E bikes practically can sell themselves.

Aaron

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2024, 01:10:16 AM »

Haha, actually one of the things do and don't miss is my VFR trying to roast me alive, it was nice in winter but in summer trying to thread through completely jammed traffic on the way home from a tour ...
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2024, 12:37:07 AM »

Since some of the bigger battery + EMCE/Mavel Ribelles from 2021 or 2022 are soon out of warranty (if they didn’t opt for extended warranty)…

If someone like me who might buy 2nd hand ends up unlucky…

*How much does a new battery cost in case a single damaged cell can’t be repaired?
*How much does a new EMCE cost?

/// MrMogensen ///

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2024, 03:32:48 AM »

EMCE, as in the motor?  I can't see that going bad really unless you really molested it.  The battery,  it's only 3 years old tops?? it should have at least another 3 left in it, if treated poorly.  Now granted you may get the oddball that may die early but the chances of a one cell death like you describe should be pretty remote id think..  I would like to believe that if there was a faulty cell in the thing, it'd have manifested itself by now.

The price for a new battery?    Hate to say  but it's probably about half the cost of the bike, which thankfully with proper care, the battery should last 8 years or so.

Just because it's guaranteed to have 80 percent of it's life left, does not mean it WILL be that degraded by the time it reaches 3 or 4 years of age, that's more of a worse case scenario thing I believe.  Unless you are running it pretty much every single day and putting 20k a year on it I don't see it really being in that bad of shape.

I think someone in New York had a Ribelle for sale here, one of the newer ones if I am not mistaken at a decent price.  How much would it be to ship the thing to you?  If the price is THAT good, it  may be worth the 1500 bucks for the shipping if it's that high.

Aaron

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2024, 04:02:47 AM »

Maybe I am just a bit concerned that an Energica battery isn’t as good quality as for example the ones Tesla seem to use.
Tesla has an 8 year / 190.000km warranty on the battery. It’s kind of a little red flag that Energica doesn’t trust themselves more than offering a 3 year standard warranty.

I am not at all concerned about the battery or motors in my Model 3. One reason is also that there are so many other Teslas out there and battery/motor fails aren’t common. The only Energica riders I “know” are you guys/gals  ;D

There is one Danish Energica for sale (he is also in this forum but can’t remember his handle). It had a battery fail after he imported it from Germany but luckily it was still covered by warranty - he got a new installed. It’s from 2021 so one of the first with EMCE/21,5kWh.

Importing an Energica to Europe? I would likely have to pay a large import tax (due to importing from outside EU). They build them in Italy and are likely already a bit cheaper in EU compared to US. There are some 2nd hand for sale in EU (some of them has been for sale for a while).
/// MrMogensen ///

Grauteufel

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2024, 05:07:46 AM »

An out of warranty battery failure would be utterly uneconomical to replace, which is one of the reason EVs in general take a massive depreciation hit. For example, it appears that the battery is more than half the NEW bike cost, not including labour. To use the Model 3, a $36k new car will need a $13k battery. Due to most pack construction methods, a single failed cell cannot simply be replaced.

Something to be aware of, batteries degrade largely through three modes. Calendar aging, cycle aging and duty aging. This makes it bloody hard to compare any battery like for like based on age/km beyond actually testing the internal resistance on each cell (which is what I believe battery health reports). A 100,000km bike that had only ever AC charged, lived in a garage and pootled around town will be in better condition than one that had DC fast charged at 25kw, been ridden at 200km/h and freeze/melt in the sun. Batteries will degrade regardless of use year on year (calendar aging). Cycle aging is the number of times a battery is discharged/charged, which results in physical changes to the structure of the electrodes and chemical decomposition of the electrolyte. Duty aging is the same process as cycle aging, but more impacted by the charge/discharge rates, physical damage (vibration) and temperateure exposure, with the higher C rates, temperate and vibration exposure accelerating damage to the cells. There is absolutely nothing special about the longevity Telsa battery packs, aside from compared to earlier EVs they used liquid cooling vs air cooling, which maintained pack temperature better. While a telsa NCM battery outperforms a nissan leaf NCM pack which used air cooling, they are likewise vastly faster degrading than a Chevrolet Volt, which has set greater limits on C rates and reserve capacity (After three years Leaf - 94.7%, Tesla S 95.9%, Volt - 98.2%). The lesson here is our air-cooled packs are likely going to be a little worse than a leaf pack...... Having said that, provided a pack hasn't been mistreated, I've anecdotally heard good things about energica honouring replacements. The 3 or 5 year warranty on the energica is actually pretty outstanding in the motorcycle world, most motorcycle manufacturers only offer 1-2 years.

The Telsa warranty sounds good, but isn't actually outstanding. Yeah, its 8 years, but its only 70% health. Lexus is 10 years/80%. Kia/Hyundai do 10 year/70%. Almost all other warranties are 8 years/70%

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2024, 12:27:17 PM »

There is one Danish Energica for sale (he is also in this forum but can’t remember his handle). It had a battery fail after he imported it from Germany but luckily it was still covered by warranty - he got a new installed. It’s from 2021 so one of the first with EMCE/21,5kWh.

There are several Energicas for sale here in Germany, a '20 EGO is standing in the showroom of my dealer in Meppen. A black beauty!
With Aaron as role model, I would like to buy it myself as a racetool but I am facing constraints in budget, garage space and spouse's tolerance  ;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4