8 - 10 years
- 2 (6.1%)
10 - 15 years
- 0 (0%)
More than 15 years
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How old is your zero?  (Read 1353 times)

victor6.7y

• ^.^
    • View Profile
How old is your zero?
« on: May 26, 2024, 06:31:45 PM »

Also because I am wondering how reliable a Zero is. But also because forums usually discuss problems. I thought this could add a positive note.

So the question. How long have you used your bike?

Bonus.
  • version:
  • bike production year:
  • years you have used it:
  • km you have put on it?
- 2019 Zero S 14.4
- 2000 Honda VTR 1000F

victor6.7y

• ^.^
    • View Profile
Re: How old is your zero?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 06:33:39 PM »

• version:Zero S
  • bike production year: 2019
  • years you have used it: 4
  • km you have put on it: 21000
- 2019 Zero S 14.4
- 2000 Honda VTR 1000F

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2024, 06:42:30 PM »

My daughter's (which used to be mine) 2014 S with PT (built in December 2013) still runs like it did when new. It has never had a firmware update. The only major issue has been the need to replace the OBC.

My 2018 S with PT also still runs great, although it also suffered the OBC failure. So far the updated OBC replacements are working just fine.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2024, 09:08:44 PM »

16.5k miles since 2021. It's had a lot of warranty work! Brake discs twice, MBB, battery, both charging units, dashboard. And it's on its third belt!

It feels quite sorted now though. The new battery range is especially impressive (125 miles), although it's nerfed my charging rate by 50%. Hoping to get another 35k miles out of it before I've had my money's worth.

Cas :)

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2024, 09:40:45 PM »

2019 DS 7.2. I got it a few months after it was first registered, ex-demo with about 100 miles on it. It's now at around 8300 and my issues have been having to replace the throttle a few months back, some isolation faults near the beginning of ownership when it would get wet (has been fine for years now), and one of my wheel speed sensors is bad and would give me an ABS fault so I pulled the fuse on that. That last one happened not long after I got new tyres though so I think the shop may have damaged it, I've got a replacement but haven't got around to fixing it.

In terms of maintenance expenses I changed the tyres around 6k miles I think, changed the front brake pads maybe 1k miles back. Had some corrosion in the front brake reservoir from the screws that hold it to the master cylinder, sucked that out with a syringe and topped it back up but I should probably give both brakes a full flush soon.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2024, 11:17:07 PM »

DSR
Took ownership in 2017 with about 2.8 k miles on the clock.
Now approaching 150k km (92,512 miles)
One deer kill to its credit
Charge port & On Board charger changed under warranty   
Battery replaced just before 5th yr (warranty) with just under 60k miles
Not sure how the original owner kept the battery SOC but with the original battery I would charge to 100% at work & return the next work day with as little as 12%  SOC left.
After the battery replacement I cobbled together a combination electronic & mechanical timer(s) to allow precise SOC level to obtain a max SOC of 70 & typically only using between 70~30% of the batteries level.
So far, so good with over 30 k miles on the new 14.4 battery & just now @ 69% SOC the cell balance is 5mv & # of cycles (charge to 100%) is 12. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2024, 11:33:47 PM »

That's a lot of miles, and a lot per year. How many other parts have you gone through, like belts, brake rotors? You're regularly only using 40-50% of your battery, have you had many times when you've needed to use more or do you think you could have coped with a 7.2 model all this time (although of course having less power as it wouldn't have been an R model)?

Also if you're going off the number of cycles shown in the app then I don't think it means full charge cycles (0-100%), I don't think anyone knows for sure what it means. At most you'd get what, 140 miles to a full charge? So you'd be looking at over 400 cycles for 60k miles.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 12:16:01 AM »

Two of my Zeros are year 2017. I used those for the question.

I would say they are reasonably reliable.

In my DS, I needed a battery replacement under warranty. I also had to replace the front ABS sensor. That also happened during the warranty, but I purchased one from AF1 racing and did the work myself instead of dealing with the dealer.

I do not recall having any issues at all with my 2017 Zero SR.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2024, 05:35:06 AM »

I had my 2016 DSR for 3 years and never had a problem, traded it for my 2020 SR/F (purchased in 2019).   The only problem with the SR/F (big one) was a battery replacement last year, but that has turned out well so far (new battery has been great so far).

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2024, 10:08:54 AM »

That's a lot of miles, and a lot per year. How many other parts have you gone through, like belts, brake rotors? You're regularly only using 40-50% of your battery, have you had many times when you've needed to use more or do you think you could have coped with a 7.2 model all this time (although of course having less power as it wouldn't have been an R model)?

Also if you're going off the number of cycles shown in the app then I don't think it means full charge cycles (0-100%), I don't think anyone knows for sure what it means. At most you'd get what, 140 miles to a full charge? So you'd be looking at over 400 cycles for 60k miles.

I only mentioned components that failed as the OP was wondering about reliability, not consumption of expendable consumables.
But to answer your question, yes plenty of tires, belts, pads, & even a rear rotor. 
I should have mentioned that I’ve replaced the swingarm bearings (forgot the miles so guessing at 50k(ish) as they had become notchy.
Oh, I also had the front sprocket replaced as I blew it out attempting to get through a 10” or higher mud flow that I didn’t see (heavy rains in the local mountains heading into work at 0dark:30 one stormy morning)

As far as charge cycle count: it’s my understanding that it’s the amount of times the charger has been able (in my case enabled via timer) to obtain 100% or very near it.
As I limit my typical SOC I’ve only charged this battery to full (or close to it) only 12 times in 3 years/33k(+-)  miles.

In theory a 7.2 battery may have been able to get away with that size but at the time I purchased (used) 6.5 was the smaller battery & that provided wouldn’t work & would wear out much sooner having to use practical all the capacity every day. 
Besides, I justified the elevated cost (compared to ICE) by being able to charge at work for the lions share of my needs (that strategy changed when the original battery wore out).

Eric
2016 Zero DSR

rgutt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2024, 04:13:28 AM »

Had my '21 SR for 3 years now. The only major problem it ever had was an intermittent issue of the BMS' failing to awaken, leaving the bike inoperable. Each time, it would right itself within about 1 to 4 days. On about the 4th occurrence, there was finally a local dealer, so I was able to have the firmware updated. The issue hasn't repeated since. The only other issue I've had that I was able to remedy myself was failure of the ignition switch. Lack of internal strain relief combined with inadequate slack in the harness eventually pulled a wire from its solder pad inside the switch.

I don't consider it an issue, but I'll add that I have never been able to push a firmware update to the bike via the app ... ever. And since brand new, the dash clock has never kept time, and of course, the battery is soldered to the board inside the dash.

PaulZero

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2024, 10:53:04 PM »

version:  SR/F
    bike production year: 2020
    years you have used it: 4
    km you have put on it?  10k

Issues thus far:
1. CCM failure, replaced under warranty
2. Front brake micro-switch failures x 3 (all original black seal ones,  now got new orange seal one on)
3. Battery "magic charging", replaced with 17.3kWh pack under warranty.

No more warranty so got my fingers and toes all crossed.  ;D

Eicas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2024, 12:37:31 AM »

2021 SR/S with 9,410 miles on it.  Had some warranty work on the rear brake the first month and reliable after that.  Bike is my good weather runabout for small chores and fun.  I have, but normally do not ride in the rain or if temperatures drop below 40 deg F.  Not a hard rider, so still have the original tires that will get replaced in the next couple of months.  So far, only one service where everything checked out good, they bled the brakes and replaced the belt because of damage from road debris at my request, just precautionary.  My typical ride is short, less than 50 miles so I charge the bike to 75% which at 70 deg or above F. will get me 75 miles range in town & county riding.

theoutsider

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2024, 02:48:19 AM »

I have a 2022 SR (SR/F Lite) with 10,700+ miles on the ODO, all local LA/OC miles with a mix of freeway, streets and technical canyons. No problems at all. Replaced the stock tires at about 6K miles with Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs. The Dunlops are wearing well, however they're much harder compound and don't give you nearly as much confidence in the corners, but they're sport touring tires anyway. Brake fluid was replaced at 2K miles and 10K miles (1 year of service and then again 1.5 years of service after the first change). Front brake pads are still at 50% (I used a lot of regen when stopping).
2022 Zero SR

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2024, 03:19:04 AM »

That makes me wish the gen 2 bikes had as much regen. I still like to go with the front brake when stopping hard, however there's so many times when I could be fine slowing using the rear wheel and I'll be trying my best to only use regen (not just to save the pads, a little bit of recovered energy is also good) but it's just not enough and I always end up having to pull the brake lever that little bit further.

Your brake fluid replacement, was that just preventative due to the time or was there some sort of issue?
Pages: [1] 2