• April 29, 2024, 01:27:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How To Wire An Amp Meter?  (Read 1189 times)

Gregski

• View Profile
How To Wire An Amp Meter?
« on: July 13, 2011, 11:58:48 AM »

I haven't finished my motorcycle conversion yet but I am close so I figure I'll ask ahead of time.  How do you wire an amp meter.  I will have a 48 volt system with a 200 amp fuse 300 amp controller, 300 amp motor (peak).  I know I need a shunt, I plan on getting a 200 amp one, but how do you wire it up.  

I am guessing the shunt splits the positive wire coming from the battery probably after the fuse using the two bigger bolts on the shunt.  Then do I just connect the amp meter to the two small bolts and Bob's your uncle?  Or do I have to wire it to something for power.  The meter I am looking at has four wires, Blue, Green, Black, Red.

The Blue and Green say input, I assume those go to the shunt's small bolts.  The Black and Red are positive and negative for 5 volts of power, where do I get the power from, I will have the stock 12 volt battery in the vehicle as well, do I wire it up to that?

Please be gentle, I am learning.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:00:38 PM by Gregski »

Bogan

• View Profile
Re: How To Wire An Amp Meter?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »

Post a link to the ammeter you plan on getting. It should give enough info to get the proper shunt size, input voltage, and correct wiring. As far as I am aware there is no hugely standardised way of doing much on electric bikes, so each manufacturer will provide that info somewhere.
Pages: [1]