• April 29, 2024, 09:02:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: 2012 reviews?  (Read 8719 times)

zap mc

• View Profile
Re: 2012 reviews?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 04:45:42 AM »

For storage we sourced a rear rack for the Zero S range that just used the two seat bolts and the rear centre fender bolt to mount it. It was about £100 if anyone wants one. It was not for mega heavy loads but it would take a top box or spare helmet.

We have an 18" rear wheel for a Zero MX with chunky spokes and a road legal michelin knobbly if that will do? Not sure about the brake mountings though?

We also made some "footpegs" out of a cut off bit of plastic drain pipe that just slipped through the hole in the swingarm perfectly.

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 05:37:48 AM »

I was able to move, with some minor modification to the brackets, the low profile Corbin seat from my 2010 DS to the 2012 DS and the high profile seat from the 2012 to the 2010. I definitely want to ride with the lower profile seat especially in loose dirt/sand.

I moved as well my Corbin seat (which cost extra ... a lot) to my 2011S. No problem. What I find though is that it slopes right down in the front part and fixes your seating position pretty much. As well when breaking you "slide" forward easily. Would like to see overall a lower seat arrangement. Gets us as well out of the wind - and more range ??
T
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 11:47:40 AM »

zero didnt run their mirrors out wider becasue they just bought off the shelf mirrors from an italian manufacturer. We told them about the mirror problem in 2009 but they couldnt care less. We told them about the seat height issue in 2009 and again they ignored the problem. Their ability to use customer feedback to improve the product is extremely poor.

Clearly you have an axe to grind with Zero but everyone should know you are spreading misinformation. 

The mirrors on both the 2011-12 are not the same mirrors that were on the 2009-10.  Zero did listen to user feedback and replaced the original mirrors with Zero branded mirrors that are larger and extend out further.  They work great in my opinion but I'm a small guy.  I can understand how others may feel they are inadequate but then again I don't think mirrors that were any larger or extended any further out would be very practical.

The seat height has also been addressed.  The suspension on both the 2011-12 is much lower than the 2009-10 and as a result the seat height as well.  Additionally, they have used a different foam this year which makes it slightly more comfortable than past years. 

The energy gauge has not been voltage dependent since 2010.  That was the one and only year they did it that way.  Since then the gauge has been accurate with the number of bars reflecting the battery capacity.

They've actually made several more changes from customer feedback including 17" rims front and back on the S model for 2011-12.  This makes tire selection easier.  This year for 2012 they have also changed the rake angle slightly for better handling in corners.  The brakes and suspension have also improved from 2010 to 2011 and again from 2011 to 2012.

I've been working with Zero for nearly 3 years now and I have been encouraged every year as each year they have taken no small steps to improve their product.  Although it may not appear so just looking at pictures, I have put thousands of miles on each model year and can say that each year there is significant improvement over the last.

Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »

Thanks Harlan.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 10:57:29 PM »

Harlan is pretty much spot on except for the 17" rear rim. I realize he was speaking about the S model and I have the DS but I would expect that if they changed to 17" on the S they would have gone with that also on the DS, they didn't, it's still 16". I'm going to have to modify my 2012 DS to a 17" rear just like I did my 2010 DS.  :(

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »

A Brief Review - after riding 300+ miles.

First of all - the range: 

Typical of all EV manufacturers Zero lists the range that they were able to achieve in optimal conditions at low speed. As a Vectrix rider (for 3 1/2 years, 13K miles) I expected the actual range to be lower than claimed. So I wasn't disappointed. (See my post - Real World Range).
Plug-In American recommends that the claimed range be multiplied by 70% to avoid disappointment - I would recommend 50%, then results may actually exceed expectations a bit.

Secondly - the ride:

The acceleration is strong, the top speed is actually about 90% of the claimed top speed (my FZ9 tops out at 79 MPH vs. the claimed 88 MPH). I find the bike very comfortable - I was pleasantly surprised at how well the bike takes the bumps. Cornering is stable and precise. Braking is strong and reliable. I like the strong regen braking when in ECO mode. The seat, despite being narrow - is not hard, and although high - it is not overly so (I can reach the ground with my toes). I hadn't heard about the lower seat option - until reading today's posts.

Third - the design:

The bike is light and visually appealing. I get compliments from everyone that sees it. I like how the cord fits inside the tube in the frame. The fuses and connectors are easily accessible. The LED panel inside the lower-right-hand front cover, at the bottom of the battery pack is upside down (or the diagram in the owner's manual is upside down).
The 120V charging socket is open and exposed to the elements, just behind the front tire. This seems like an oversight - I cut the end off of an old cord and used it to cover up the hole.
The only thing I can see in my mirrors are my shoulders (I am 5' 7", 155 lbs.) - I'll have to check out the mirror extensions.
The gauges are clear and intuitive (other than the decision to display eleven bars on the fuel gauge... eleven? really?) I like the clean, simple design of the speedometer and fuel gauge (well, except for the eleven-bar thing... did I mention that already?) After the 9th bar disappears the last two bars begin flashing on and off to let you know it's time to plug in. A simple error indicator next to the odometer lets you know something is wrong and the owner's manual explains how to diagnose the problem more specifically.

The Extras:

I ordered the storage bags - which you will need since there is no storage on the bike. I haven't received them yet, but I'll post when I get them. Ditto for the windshield and the high-speed charger. Nine hours is a long time to wait for charging (the standard setup), so the high-speed charger will make the bike much more practical on longer rides. The J772 adapter is supposed to arrive in a couple of months - this will open up many more charging opportunities. Zero's decision to offer this option should be applauded - it puts the bike at the cutting edge of the two-wheeled EV market.

So much for a "brief" review... now I'm anxious to learn about the experiences of other 2012 Zero owners!
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 09:53:10 PM »

I'll be providing lots of comments about my ownership of a ZF9 S - once I finally get one.  As usual when I order a new model I wait and wait. I waited 18 months for an Empulse to arrive. Still waiting for an email on that, too.

(I think the weather is too nice right now for the Zero to arrive. It is waiting for the rain to return.   ::)  )

Thanks for your latest report oobflyer.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 12:50:12 AM »

A Brief Review - after riding 300+ miles.

First of all - the range: 

Typical of all EV manufacturers Zero lists the range that they were able to achieve in optimal conditions at low speed. As a Vectrix rider (for 3 1/2 years, 13K miles) I expected the actual range to be lower than claimed. So I wasn't disappointed. (See my post - Real World Range).
Plug-In American recommends that the claimed range be multiplied by 70% to avoid disappointment - I would recommend 50%, then results may actually exceed expectations a bit.

75-79 mph will use a fair bit more energy per mile than 70 mph, which is a fair bit above 55 mph.

I'm interested to see if the range improves over time. Zero is claiming 43 miles at 70 mph and 60 miles at 55 mph (based upon XU's power consumption). Are your range observations to the point of discomfort / end of your trip, or to the point of performance degradation? I believe the EPA's tests are performed until the bike is no longer able to maintain the requested speed, which might be a little beyond the point the flashing energy indicators turn on.

The acceleration is strong, the top speed is actually about 90% of the claimed top speed (my FZ9 tops out at 79 MPH vs. the claimed 88 MPH). I find the bike very comfortable - I was pleasantly surprised at how well the bike takes the bumps. Cornering is stable and precise. Braking is strong and reliable. I like the strong regen braking when in ECO mode.

ZF9 instead of FZ9. Unless you're riffing on the yamaha FZ bikes.

Does Eco vs Sport mode affect top speed? Are you going by indicated top speed or have you tested the speedometer accuracy with a GPS? I assume your top speed tests are performed on level ground without a headwind..

Can you hold a steady 75 mph, or is the sustained top speed lower as well? How long can you hold 79 mph before it falls back to 75?

The J772 adapter is supposed to arrive in a couple of months - this will open up many more charging opportunities. Zero's decision to offer this option should be applauded - it puts the bike at the cutting edge of the two-wheeled EV market.

Good to hear the 2012 bikes have a J1772 option, I didn't see it in the options list. I think the onboard charger can supply 1kw regardless of voltage, so J1772 won't charge faster than a standard 120v outlet; but the EV industry in the US is rapidly settling upon J1772 for parking-access charging. It's the future for the next five years before wireless charging is standardized.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

zap mc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 04:05:28 AM »

Hollywood Electrics said "Clearly you have an axe to grind with Zero but everyone should know you are spreading misinformation."

I disagree, I speak as I find, good or bad.

A person with a Zero Dealership could also be said to have an axe to grind as well surely?

But I wont be stooping to personal comments to make my point as the facts should do that on their own. At the end of the day i can only speak as I find based on what I observe either good or bad and not in anticipation of future sales.
1) Mirrors
Zero bought off the shelf mirrors from an Italian company in 2009/2010, I know because i saw the boxes. If they had sucessfully reacted to customer feedback would people still be complaining about the mirrors? I doubt it. Either they didnt react to customer feedback or they reacted inadequately. In either case it is not confidence inspiring really.
2) Gauge
You also stated "the energy gauge has not been voltage dependent since 2010.  That was the one and only year they did it that way."  They did it in 2009 as well as that gauge sagged when used hard as well.
3) Seat Height
There were journalists that could not ride the pre production versions of the Zero S and this was made known to Zero top brass at the press launch. However the seat height remained the same on the production bikes in 2009 and 2010 so that is 2 years of not acting on feedback, again, Zero not in a hurry to remedy the problem I would say. The bike still has an unexplained gap under the seat that could be used to drop the seat height to more usable levels even as an option but it does not seem to be happening any time soon.
4) Pillion passengers
Many people have asked to be able to carry passengers, what have Zero done ? Nothing.

Do I need to Carry on? ...

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 04:47:46 AM »

My recollection of the information contained in the 2012 Zero's owners manual is that a passenger can be carried on the bike with a accessory kit, available from Zero. I assume it contains a set of foot pegs and a passenger grab strap or bar. Although you and your passenger are limited to a maximum weight of 340 pounds.  I have no explanation why this is an extra-cost item, though.   ???

But then I also can not explain why BMW sells motorcycles with hard, uncomfortable, seats and then offers a "comfort" seat as an accessory for an additional $500.  Why not just install a comfort seat on the stock motorcycle?  Now let me see...... ::)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:51:53 AM by Richard230 »

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 06:05:12 AM »

Hollywood Electrics said "Clearly you have an axe to grind with Zero but everyone should know you are spreading misinformation."

I disagree, I speak as I find, good or bad.

A person with a Zero Dealership could also be said to have an axe to grind as well surely?

But I wont be stooping to personal comments to make my point as the facts should do that on their own. At the end of the day i can only speak as I find based on what I observe either good or bad and not in anticipation of future sales.
1) Mirrors
Zero bought off the shelf mirrors from an Italian company in 2009/2010, I know because i saw the boxes. If they had sucessfully reacted to customer feedback would people still be complaining about the mirrors? I doubt it. Either they didnt react to customer feedback or they reacted inadequately. In either case it is not confidence inspiring really.
2) Gauge
You also stated "the energy gauge has not been voltage dependent since 2010.  That was the one and only year they did it that way."  They did it in 2009 as well as that gauge sagged when used hard as well.
3) Seat Height
There were journalists that could not ride the pre production versions of the Zero S and this was made known to Zero top brass at the press launch. However the seat height remained the same on the production bikes in 2009 and 2010 so that is 2 years of not acting on feedback, again, Zero not in a hurry to remedy the problem I would say. The bike still has an unexplained gap under the seat that could be used to drop the seat height to more usable levels even as an option but it does not seem to be happening any time soon.
4) Pillion passengers
Many people have asked to be able to carry passengers, what have Zero done ? Nothing.

Do I need to Carry on? ...

You can continue to speak freely and I will continue to correct you.

The 2009 Zero models you may have seen were pre-production, shipped in limited quantities to dealers as demo bikes.  2010 was the first year the bike was widely available to consumers.  If you want to include all the prototypes as well, you're right, 2010 was not the only year for a few of those issues I mentioned. 

As for the mirrors, I stand by my statement that the problem has been addressed.  I spend a little extra time with our customers to make sure the mirrors are adjusted properly for them.  If they are incorrectly adjusted, I'm sure it's quite possible you won't see anything past your shoulders.  Since there is another member on this forum whose dealer didn't even point out the eco/sport switch, it wouldn't surprise me to know that there are other dealers who don't spend the extra time with the customer to properly adjust their mirrors and therefore they are not setup optimally.

I have a good friend who is 5'3" (160cm) and he has not trouble riding the Zero S, even with the standard seat although he does prefer the lower Corbin Seat.  For anyone who still has trouble with the seat height, there are other adjustments that can be made to accommodate them.

Zero has a solution for those who wish to carry a passenger.  This is one of their press images, you would have seen had you spent any time actually researching this product you claim to know so much about.  As Richard has already stated, there is a footpeg and grab bar kit available.

Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

zap mc

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 06:08:25 AM »

If that is the case then the bike will have needed to be homologated by Zero at the factory for use as a two person machine which entails another set of braking and load tests. The fact they are selling those kits would seem to suggest that it is now homologated as a pillion bike which would be one up on the Brammo. Surprised that they did not make more of an issue of this as it is not widely known and would be a good selling point.

I have never claimed to "know so much about this product", that is only your inference, I am merely sharing my experience, hopefully for others benefit, and trying to learn by other peoples experiences, I tend to find this is more meaningful and accurate than press blurb and hype, be it in type or picture.

The bikes I have had were certainly not bought or offered as "pre production" models in 2009 and 2010, however if Zero were doing what you say and shipping prototypes instead of proper production machines then that may explain some of the issues.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:46:02 AM by zap mc »

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 09:22:04 AM »

Generally 5'3" would be too short for a sport bike.  Can they put their feet down flat? As seat hts. go for sport bikes, the Zero S seat ht. of  30.8" for the low seat option is still low. The only one lower than that I know about is the Ninja 250 at 30.5. One advantage of the Zero is that the seat gives a little so once you do get on, you reduce the ht. by an inch or so, plus it is narrow. 

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 12:02:07 PM »

Since there is another member on this forum whose dealer didn't even point out the eco/sport switch, it wouldn't surprise me to know that there are other dealers who don't spend the extra time with the customer to properly adjust their mirrors and therefore they are not setup optimally.

I guess that would be me. You are right Harlan - the dealership knew nothing at all about the bike. When I asked simple questions, like, "How can I tell the bike is charging after I plug it in?",  the salesman had no idea. I expected some sort of flashing light on the fuel gauge, but I eventually found the little LED window myself.

I also had to adjust the "dashboard" so that it tilts out at a sharper angle, otherwise I cannot see the top part of the gauge. I can't imagine that anyone actually sat on the bike and looked at the gauge before tightening the screws  - it would only have worked for someone much shorter than me (it was very easy to adjust when I got home).  As far as the mirrors... there was no discussion about adjusting them, but to be clear - I checked carefully and the only adjustment possible is the angle of tilt forward (up vertically - or down towards the ground) - there does not appear to be a way to extend the mirrors out further towards the handlebars - so I quite literally cannot see behind me while riding. The only way I can use the mirrors is to lean way out to one side and look in the opposite mirror. I'm not trying to cause any more controversy - I didn't even realize there was an issue with the mirrors in the past. But I don't feel safe when I can't see behind me. I will have to extend them, or replace them.

I don't see this as a make or break issue, however. Many people replace their stock mirrors for all kinds of reasons.

the onboard charger can supply 1kw regardless of voltage, so J1772 won't charge faster than a standard 120v outlet

Is this true? I thought that the whole point of the 240V J1772 standard was to be able to charge more quickly.

Does Eco vs Sport mode affect top speed?

No, the acceration is slower and the regen-braking is stronger, but the top speed is the same.

Can you hold a steady 75 mph, or is the sustained top speed lower as well? How long can you hold 79 mph before it falls back to 75?

Yes, the bike accelerates quickly to 75 MPH and cruises comfortably at that speed. On the way home today I looked down to see my speed at 78 MPH. But, beyond that... there just isn't any more power to push it any faster. I didn't try to sustain the top speed for more than a few seconds, since it had clearly reached its limit. I'll be picking up my windshield this weekend - I'll check the top speed again with the windshield installed - with the hope that it will be a bit more aerodynamic.

Meanwhile - I rode another 70 miles today, flying on the freeway, passing cars and trucks with my EV grin hidden inside my helmet.  This thing is amazing  :)

2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 12:26:07 PM »

One fix for the stock mirrors might be add those stick-on fisheye/bubbles that you can buy at Napa, Autozone, O'Reillys, even Walmart that show the blind spot.

I'm surprised the new S didn't go right up to 88 mph. Programming error? My 2011 seems programmed to go 67, accelerates fast right up to 67, then no further, not that you would want to ride at 88 probably, but I would occasionally if I could. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5