• April 29, 2024, 10:55:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 2012 Zero charger  (Read 5373 times)

dkw12002

• View Profile
Re: 2012 Zero charger
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 07:29:45 AM »

I can tell when my bike is fully charged. The charger cord is no longer hot.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 07:49:24 AM »

When I charge using the Delta-Q charger, I never see the 80% bulk LED light up or the ammeter LEDs (I II III IV V). Only the AC integrity LED and the full charge LED (when charging is done) light up in my experience.

Do others see the ammeter LEDs on their QuiQs light up as the manual indicates?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 08:47:28 PM »

I just plugged in my charger (my bike was fully charged yesterday and I pulled the plug for the night).  The bulk charge indicators came on with a green light at the bottom and two yellow lights above it. The the amp meter did not light up.  A few minutes later, the upper yellow light went off and now only the green light and the yellow light directly above it are lit.

A couple of hours later I happened to look at the charger again and both yellow lights were on, as well as the green light. Now I don't know if I am seeing double or being confused by those yellow lights.   ???  So the green light appears to mean that the charger is plugged in (when I pulled the plug, all the lights went dark). The yellow light above it means that the battery is fully charged, but the owner's manual says this should turn green when the pack is 100% charged, but I don't think I have ever seen it green, just yellow. The top yellow light indicates that the pack is 80% charged and the charger is on the "absorption" phase - whatever that means.  When I look at the Kill A Watt meter, all I ever see is either bulk charging (750-950 watts) or trickle charging (7 watts) and nothing in between.

I think I recall seeing the amp meter indicators lit up once, but I may have gotten that confused with the row of lights below it. If this rain ever ends, I'll ride my bike around to drain the battery some and double-check what is going on when I plug it in with a discharged battery.  I must say, those indicators are not very easy to see, although using a flashlight helps. That is why I usually use my Kill A Watt to see what is going on with the charger.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:03:14 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 02:46:14 AM »

While my bike was charging today, I took a close look at the charger indicator lights. One big issue is that the charger is installed upside down, compared with the illustration contained in the owner's manual for the 2012 S and DS models. Also, it appears that the light from one indicator bleeds over to the adjacent indicator, making it look like they are both lit. But, by standing on my head, I finally figured out what was going on.

When recharging after a ride, the charger lights up the "11111" ammeter position (which bleeds over to the "1111" light). As near as I can tell, it stays at that maximum charging indicator until the charger shuts off and it goes on trickle charge, which gives you a green light on position "C" on the set of four indicator lights located above the ammeter indicators as shown in the manual.

When the pack is bulk charging, position "D" lights up yellow, indicating that the AC is on. But it's yellow light bleeds over to position "E", which is the fault indicator and should turn red (which I have never seen), not yellow, if the charger has a problem. I just checked the lights again and light "C" is flashing yellow, indicating that the charger is in its "absorption" phase and charging is nearing completion. The Kill A Watt is showing a charge rate of 950 watts.

The charging is now complete. The meter is reading 7 watts, light "C" is now green, the light above it is yellow, indicating that the charger is still plugged in, and the ammeter is dark.

All-in-all, it is probably best if you just don't look at those lights.  It will make your head spin less and the knees of your pants last longer.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:31:44 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: 1 2 [3]