• April 28, 2024, 08:59:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Intrigued... with questions...  (Read 1913 times)

Vertigo1

• View Profile
Re: Intrigued... with questions...
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 10:53:08 PM »

I am absorbing tons of info about the Zero bikes reading these forums, thanks to everyone for the great questions and answers!

Back to topic, I have a question that is in line with the resale subject.

What is the upgradability like for these bikes? Is there any way to "bolt-on" some of the new technology that improves range onto one of the older bikes at a reduced cost? It would seem that this is probably something that could help with resale value assuming that the computer/battery/motor could be interchangable and that the rest of the bike holds value as a platform for future range improvements.

I have figured that it would take me approximately 80,000 miles when fuel is above $3.50/gal to leverage the savings on gasoline into the cost of the bike when compared to my current vehicle.

I am looking at the DS ZF9 for commuting on a 60 mile (mostly city) round trip and it would be great if there were a cost-effective way to improve the range a few years down the road as it seems the real-world tests would put me awfully close to the limits on this bike if I were not to charge while at work. I am confident enough in it to give it a shot as it stands, and find a way to charge at work if necessary, but it would be nice to be able to buy a little peace of mind in a few years without having to buy a new bike before the previous one has leveraged its value.

rotoiti

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 11:10:37 PM »

If you took a rebate/incentive (like CA $900 EV rebate) you're locking yourself into owning this bike for 3 years. I'd say "rebated" bikes will start appearing around early 2015 at the earliest.
2014 Zero SR, 2012 Zero DS ZF9 (gone)

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 11:18:03 PM »

It will be interesting to see the Empulse specs which are due out in just a couple of days.

I put my name on the reservation list for an Empulse when Brammo first unveiled it a couple of years ago, but in January, after waiting for almost two years, I bought a Zero ZF9 instead. I have over 2,000 miles on it now and I love the ZF9. My only criticism is the exaggerated range claims (count on about 50% of what is advertised), but to be fair - all EV companies advertise the "best case scenario" range. For the Zero they claim 114 miles/charge, but this is at an average speed of 20 MPH (see the post, 'Real World Range' for more info).

If you get the Zero I highly recommend getting the optional "high speed" charger, which will charge the bike in about 4 hours, vs. overnight. I used it last weekend for a longer ride and found that I could add about two 'bars' on the fuel gauge for 45 minutes of charging; not bad.

When I bought my bike there was no negotiating - so if you can get a break on the price - so much the better. In any case you won't regret riding an electric bike; no gas, low maintenance... and you are helping the economy, the environment... and enjoying the commute!

One last thought - I got my $900 rebate from California, but at no time during the application process was I asked to "keep the bike for three years". I never signed anything to that affect nor agreed to anything like that, so I'm not sure where that idea came from.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

rotoiti

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 11:32:26 PM »

One last thought - I got my $900 rebate from California, but at no time during the application process was I asked to "keep the bike for three years". I never signed anything to that affect nor agreed to anything like that, so I'm not sure where that idea came from.

From the CVRP Applicant Requirements, point 5:

"5. Retain ownership of the vehicle for a minimum of 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date. Rebate recipients who do not retain the eligible vehicle for the full 36-month ownership or lease period will be required to reimburse ARB all or part of the original rebate amount."
2014 Zero SR, 2012 Zero DS ZF9 (gone)

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 03:57:41 AM »

Ah - I didn't read the fine print  ;)
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Pages: 1 [2]