• April 28, 2024, 11:24:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Not too many return waves - typical for dualsport riders?  (Read 10464 times)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
Re: Not too many return waves - typical for dualsport riders?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 11:22:34 PM »

The common joke here is that they're just afraid that the handlebar will drop on the street as soon as the release their hand from it.

when he specifically said dual sport, I thought the same thing. Some of these guys are terrified the entire time they're riding down the street.

tigerbike

• Zero DS-R 2016, Photovoltac-charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 10:00:07 PM »

In Winter-with-snow-countries often the rules are as following: "Winter-riders" dont wave, they know the others in Winter. And the guys who ride only in summer, when there is guaranteed NO rain, and temp. above 25°C are mainly posers. So why greet them? Often Winter-riders dont ride on too beautiful weekends, -- too many idiots on the road.

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 04:45:45 AM »

winter riders, summer riders, dualsport riders, hummm. and there are no "normal" riders?  :-)
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

tigerbike

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »

From my personal point of view, the normal riders dissapeared, when the motorcycle-industry found out, that yuppies and WASPs are customers, who buy bikes.
In "the old days" it was totally normal, that if you see a motorcyclist on the pavement, you stopped and asked if he needs help. Today ( suffered myself, because a screw of the gear lever broke and I stuck in the first gear, 20 miles from home ) I waited 45min. for roadside assistance, at least 20 riders passed by and only 1!! was asking if I need help. And if I stop and ask, I often earn incredulous faces.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 06:55:21 PM »

From my personal point of view, the normal riders dissapeared, when the motorcycle-industry found out, that yuppies and WASPs are customers, who buy bikes.
In "the old days" it was totally normal, that if you see a motorcyclist on the pavement, you stopped and asked if he needs help. Today ( suffered myself, because a screw of the gear lever broke and I stuck in the first gear, 20 miles from home ) I waited 45min. for roadside assistance, at least 20 riders passed by and only 1!! was asking if I need help. And if I stop and ask, I often earn incredulous faces.

You must live in a very crappy place.
Pretty much everyone around here would stop... The other day I had an issue with my XB12R and ended up pulled over in a painted median. No less than 5 riders stopped in 20 mins, and the only two wheeler that didnt stop or loop back to check on me was a scooter.
And this is on a bike that no one would recognize when riding by.

tigerbike

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 11:54:34 AM »

Pretty much everyone around here would stop... The other day I had an issue with my XB12R and ended up pulled over in a painted median. No less than 5 riders stopped in 20 mins, and the only two wheeler that didnt stop or loop back to check on me was a scooter.
Is the surrounding of Vienna/Austria crappy? Maybe at that point of view. Or is it an European phenomen? Is it better in the US or even in other countries?
Could be an interresting discussion here. Perhaps it is better in areas, where help is not just "around the corner" or a phonecall away.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 08:28:15 PM »

Is the surrounding of Vienna/Austria crappy? Maybe at that point of view. Or is it an European phenomen? Is it better in the US or even in other countries?
Could be an interresting discussion here. Perhaps it is better in areas, where help is not just "around the corner" or a phonecall away.
Maybe its because in the US, most riders are enthusiasts, but elsewhere motorcycles are just basic transportation.
In anycase, I'm not calling the area crapy, but I think it says something when no ones stops to help someone in need.

swavess

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 11:54:33 PM »

I'm in the US and go with the head nod.  In my area it seems there are as many bikes as cars on some days and waving every 2 seconds begins to really suck.  Maybe people think I'm rude, but it was one thing when there weren't many bikes but those days are gone.  Now, if I'm in the middle of snowstorm or somewhere really remote, I definitely wave to anyone who's out there as well!

I wave from both my cruiser and my scooter when its safe to do so and when it looks like it will be noticeable

I think for this reason Head Nods are much more common here in the UK. Actual hand waves are rare by comparison.

BoB Mobil

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 05:20:35 PM »

So far, its like with my Goldwing around 80% here in Québec, Canada

dittoalex

• Load the tire before you work the tire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2019, 08:07:10 AM »

Don't relinquish control of the bike by waving.  Hands stay on bars and attention remains focused with the same discipline as if you were riding on a track.
Pages: 1 [2]