• April 29, 2024, 10:33:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero as only bike?  (Read 2548 times)

blake

• View Profile
Re: Zero as only bike?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »

yeah, I wondered about that (pulling it behind me on a small collapsible travel cart). I had back surgery last summer so I have to be careful what I lift and how...   It looks like the retaining bar is held with a screw (I would have preferred some kind of locking mechanism using a key for theft-proofness and ease of removal).

blake

blake

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 10:14:34 PM »

by the way Craig, how do you like the WRX? that was on my short list of alternatives, along with the CBR250R, Ducati Hypermotard 796, V7, Aprilia Mana 850GT, used Buell XB9 or Yamaha MT-01 (I know, a weird grab-bag of different bikes, but I have unusual tastes).

If I had the garage space I might consider an XU and the CBR (still less than the S-9), but not keen on paying insurance on 2 bikes either. My wife has her motorcycle license also, but would rather be in the garden than riding. My wife says get the ZF9 or else I'll be regretting the more limited range of the other (cheaper) models...

craigq

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 01:37:33 AM »

Blake,

The 2012 XU power pack retaining bar is held in place by a "security bolt" which I'm guessing is the type with the post in the center of the bolt head and an allen key or torx style wrench with a hole in the center to accept the post.

Overall the WRX is good, fuel mileage is good, oil changes are easy but messy, valve adjustments every 42K km or so, the stock seat height is quite high (36.6") but the sitting/riding position is great for commuting. There is no wind protection, but at the speeds I ride on surface roads that isn't a problem. I actually considered a Yamaha MT-01 too, until I started acquiring insurance quotes  :o  I was considering a Royal Enfield or TU250X (even though the MSRP is a bit nuts) until the 2012 Zero specs were released...
bikeless

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 09:45:16 AM »

If you don't plan to ride cross-country - the Zero will suffice. I rode my ZF9 350 miles last weekend (charging every 30 or 40 miles with the high-speed charger), but all local riding.

Last year I rode from California to Sturgis and back (5,000 miles round trip) on my gas-hog (Honda Shadow 750 - 50 Miles/gallon).

I still have my Vectrix, which now has over 13,000 miles on it, but I'm giving it to my son - I don't really need two electric bikes   ;)

Imagine the day when you can plug in your electric bike at a 440V, 125A CHAdeMO level III quick-charging station. Saiyonara gasoline  :D
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:54 AM »

Individual cells claim 15 minute (or faster) quick charge. If an entire pack could handle those charging levels, then you could charge a 12-15 kwh pack in 15 minutes. That's a good 100 miles of freeway range if you also had an aero fairing. It would cost about as much as the coke at the gas station..
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

blake

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 01:49:54 AM »

If you don't plan to ride cross-country - the Zero will suffice. I rode my ZF9 350 miles last weekend (charging every 30 or 40 miles with the high-speed charger), but all local riding.

Must be nice to have that kind of infrastructure. No such thing here yet...

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »

How did you find multiple 15A or single 20A circuits everywhere you went? I wouldn't be able to do that around here.

I'm still debating getting the fast (extra) charger. So far I haven't needed it.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log
Pages: 1 [2]