• April 28, 2024, 12:43:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: S vs DS 'gearing'  (Read 1126 times)

blake

• View Profile
S vs DS 'gearing'
« on: April 21, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »

In an online review of the 2012 models in Classic Driver (http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/popup_print.asp?print=true&lPageID=3150&id=15902), the author states that:

the Zero S is more of an urban commuter, with the longest gearing for motorway speeds, while the DS’s trail bike style will appeal to those looking for something a little taller, and its lower gearing gives the strongest acceleration.

This is the first I hear of this. Can anyone corroborate this? I'm not worried, BTW - if anything it would make my choice of the S over the DS even more definite.

CliC

• View Profile
Re: S vs DS 'gearing'
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 10:53:31 AM »

The DS "gearing" is slightly lower -- a couple sprocket teeth different IIRC. Claiimed top speed is 88 mph for the S vs. 80 for the DS. I test rode a couple of S bikes, and I didn't feel any noticeable difference in acceleration between them and my DS, though they were both ZF6 models, whereas mine is a ZF9 (about 40 lbs. or so heavier).

The DS is quite a bit taller, which may or may not affect handling (and foot contact with the ground) in a way you like. I thought the S was a bit quicker in the steering, while the DS soaked up bad pavement better. But both bikes are so much lighter than my Road King that I felt much less difference between them than between either and the Harley. 
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

craigq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »

Top speed of the S: 142 kph
S Final Drive Ratio: 4.71
Top speed of the DS: 129 kph
DS Final Drive Ratio: 5.28 or 5.46 with the optional chain kit

Through a combination of tire size/gear ratios the DS is geared for slightly quicker acceleration, S for higher speed.
bikeless

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:27:10 PM »

I graphed the power curves for the S and belt-drive DS vs mph here, based on a motorcycle.com dyno plot.

The gearing shifts the power curves around a bit. The DS has the "meat" of its power curve (> 25 whp) between 40 and 62 mph, where the S is 45 and 70 mph. The DS has a bit more power below 40 mph (15-20% more), the S has a bit more power above 55 mph (10% more).
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/
Pages: [1]