• April 27, 2024, 05:03:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 2011 Zero S performance mods?  (Read 5767 times)

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
Re: 2011 Zero S performance mods?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 12:28:18 AM »

I agree. Love the acceleration from 20 to 65, but that first 20 is a bit timid. Otherwise the bike is perfect for my needs. I ride 20 miles round trip work and it does this perfectly.

I rode a 2012 DS last week. In sport mode it was plenty quick off the line.  Do you mean in econ mode?

cirrus pete

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 02:34:47 AM »

Tried this myself tonight, on the ride home, in the empty street in front of my house. When I pulled the front brake just enough to activate the light, I felt some additional deceleration, maybe 1/3 again what I was getting from eco-mode regen when the throttle was closed. At rest, I pulled the brake in the same amount and pushed the bike to try and gauge how much the front brake was actually grabbing; it didn't seem like much, not enough to explain the deceleration.

So yes, I'd have to concede that you get some more regen when the brakes are applied. But it's not huge. Does give me some future modding ideas, though.

I am just curious because there has been so much speculation about this: Why not just email zero and ask if it does? Do you think they are shy about answering this for competitive reasons?

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 05:09:21 AM »

Tried this myself tonight, on the ride home, in the empty street in front of my house. When I pulled the front brake just enough to activate the light, I felt some additional deceleration, maybe 1/3 again what I was getting from eco-mode regen when the throttle was closed. At rest, I pulled the brake in the same amount and pushed the bike to try and gauge how much the front brake was actually grabbing; it didn't seem like much, not enough to explain the deceleration.

So yes, I'd have to concede that you get some more regen when the brakes are applied. But it's not huge. Does give me some future modding ideas, though.

I am just curious because there has been so much speculation about this: Why not just email zero and ask if it does? Do you think they are shy about answering this for competitive reasons?

Here are the difference in the controller parameters between Eco/Sport mode.  These are the actual values, not speculation.

Sport
Maximum Torque 100%
Regen on closed throttle 7%
Regen on braking 15%
Maximum Speed 6300rpm

Eco
Maximum Torque 70%
Regen on closed throttle 30% 15%
Regen on braking 30% 25%
Maximum Speed 5300rpm

Hope that answers your questions.

Edit: Sorry, I made a mistake on the regen values in Eco mode.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:41:49 AM by Harlan »
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 06:18:29 AM »

Thanks, Harlan! You're always a fount of Zero information.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 06:42:46 AM »

Now that is interesting.  In Eco mode there is no increase in regen when activating the brakes.

I might add that I once had my bike up to an indicated 79 mph up a 6% freeway grade in Eco mode (which should have been about 5260 rpm). On the same day, up the same hill, I was able to hit 81 mph in Sport mode. Both rides were against a stiff wind.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 09:43:38 AM »

New Zero S owner here. Thrilled with the bike. Brilliant.  ;D

Is there any way to give it more off the line acceleration? Plenty of oomph after 20MPH but I get beat out by Toyota Corolas when lights turn green.   :-[

Any software adjustments? Thanks!

A 'hardware' tweak would be the DS front sprocket, which would change your drive ratio from 4.71 to 5.28.   I'm looking for an "S" sprocket for my DS--  let's make a deal!

[see the "Glitch" thread;]
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX
Pages: 1 2 [3]