Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Regen  (Read 1378 times)

Larry295

• View Profile
Regen
« on: June 16, 2012, 05:09:13 AM »

Does anybody know if:
- the rear brake pedal activate the regen as well?
- how to gage when the regen is maxed out, and the mecanical brakes take over.
thx

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
Re: Regen
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 06:58:10 AM »

The rear brake does activate regen.  It is on/off so as soon as it is activated, it is maxed out.  The regen is activated as soon as the brake light turns on.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 11:02:11 AM »

As soon as I roll off the throttle in ECO mode it appears to go into regen braking. Today I came down Swenny Pass without ever having to touch the brakes. That is a steep decent with a hairpin curve at the bottom. Always before, on any other bike, I have to do some serious brake dragging to keep my speed to a comfortable level for the turns. Today was the first time I ever did that decent without touching brakes. If I wasn't getting regen braking then why did my motor to such a great job of slowing the bike? I used a combination of throttle and ECO mode regen to adjust my speed of decent for every portion of the twisty, steep, decent. Never touched either brake.

Trikester

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
Re: Re: Regen
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »

There are two levels of regen. When you roll off the throttle you get mild regen. Hitting the brakes engages a stronger regen.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 11:58:43 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up, Harlan. I can use that knowledge in some of the more difficult dirt riding situations. It sounds like it will work with either brake because it is driven off the light circuit, which is activated by either brake lever. Is that correct?

Now that you have fixed my ECO mode operation (it's working great, much thanks) I find that it is perfect for quickly losing speed in sandy or rocky situations where accidentally using too much brake can cause trouble.  :( Knowing that I can change the intensity of the regen by quickly tapping a brake can be useful. I have found the regen deceleration to be a great asset in off road desert riding where speeds are changing constantly and rapidly. I do need that rapid acceleration also, dirt riding in ECO mode, which you gave me in the programming change.

Now if someone could figure out a momentary switch on the left bar that would not only activate the regen but also select between the two modes of intensity. 8) Hmm........ one sw to activate, or deactivate might be better, to be able to coast when desired, and another to activate the brake light circuit without actually braking. I'm going to work on this, it should be pretty simple. :P

Trakester

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 02:38:12 AM »

A switch or lever to activate regen braking would be like that old bike I rode that had decompression braking.  It was somewhat loud and sounded terrible when used though.  This  could give the rider the ability to adjust speed and conserve some energy, neat idea. 
Pages: [1]