• April 29, 2024, 01:40:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: RFID Ignition :)  (Read 2608 times)

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
Re: RFID Ignition :)
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 11:52:55 PM »

What are you doing for water protection?
Still working on the hardware. That will come in time.

ColoPaul mentioned adding an on/off switch for safety when working on the bike with the fob in his pocket. There already is one on the right handlebar.
I don't think I want to integrate with the kill switch because there may be scenarios where you want the bike powered up but still disengaged, so there should be a separate power kill switch, which you can see I have already integrated. The thought process behind powered up but disengaged would be diagnostics near or remote.

Actually there is; I just didn't think ahead enough. As several have pointed out, with a 3-foot range, having this in your pocket, and a controller/dash power enable switch on the bike, would be highly convenient. I suppose you could use the existing red one on the handlebar, if you wired it to bring up dash/controller power rather than just enabling the throttle. I think you'd need something to keep the computer from getting schizophrenic when you were lashing things onto the seat or something, as you walked into and out of range.
I think the functionality gained by a more powerful RFID key fob isn't really worth the cost or potential issues at the moment. Maybe later on, but for now my goal is to not need a key fob, and integrate the RFID with jackets and gloves. This I think would be far more  convenient. The longer range key fobs need power to transmit, and you also have to remember them just like a key. I am mainly concerned with safety and useability right now, and havent gotten past what happens if your key fob flys away on a corner in a canyon with a 1000 ft drop off the edge.

So what I am doing instead is having the hard switch be an off only switch, and the jacket or gloves be the on switch.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 11:55:11 PM »

@CliC But, once I get this method working, I will certainly be looking into the more powerful keyfob integration

nogasman

• I'm red in the face trying to be green
    • View Profile
    • Measuring Performance
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 11:52:51 PM »

In a similar vein, I used RFID tags on each glove for my garage door opener: https://picasaweb.google.com/117446794976301437784/RFIDGarageDoorOpener?authkey=Gv1sRgCOPqgrKB79HD3QE
2012 S ZF6, 2006 Kymco Xciting250 (sold)

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 08:16:47 AM »

In a similar vein, I used RFID tags on each glove for my garage door opener

That's pretty cool.  I take it you had to hold your glove up to the antenna?  How much did all that cost?
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 01:34:46 AM »

Updated UI

nogasman

• I'm red in the face trying to be green
    • View Profile
    • Measuring Performance
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 02:42:19 AM »

@ColoPaul - It was about 5 years ago I built it, maybe $80 total? Still working today. And yes you have to hold up glove to antennae, within 3" for this model. Looks like there are commercial solutions now: http://www.popsci.com/gear-amp-gadgets/article/2009-02/diy-rfid  Here is the model I used : http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/CommunicationRF/tabid/161/List/0/ProductID/517/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

@Electric Cowboy - That's beautiful!
2012 S ZF6, 2006 Kymco Xciting250 (sold)
Pages: 1 [2]