• April 28, 2024, 08:57:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Toggle switch for SPORT/ECO mode  (Read 2542 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Toggle switch for SPORT/ECO mode
« on: July 20, 2012, 11:47:03 PM »

FYI

I replaced the SPORT/ECO rocker switch with a waterproof toggle switch (this switch is waterproof without having to use a rubber boot). I find the toggle "bat" handle more convenient and don't have to physically look at the switch now to change modes. The switch is a SPST with "Faston" baldes.

To fit a round mounting boss on the toggle switch into the rectangular slot in the bracket for the rocker, I made a fitted aluminum rectangular washer piece on my mill. However, I don't see a reason why a regular round steel washer wouldn't also work to hold the switch (since I have a mill, a lathe, and aluminum stock, I got fancy). 8)

Trikester

baumisch

• EV - EREV - PEDELEC Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Toggle switch for SPORT/ECO mode
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »

Please post a few pictures ...
2011 GreenMover  MTB - 0,25 KW - 0,3 kwH - 27+ km/h - 2.100km
2012 Zero S ZF9 - 9 KW - 9kwH - 140 km/h - 6.200km
2013 Opel Ampera - 111 KW - 16/10 kwH - 160km/h - 55.500km
2015 Tesla Model S P85 - 306 KW - 85 kwH - 210km/h

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 11:14:39 PM »

I would if I knew how.

It seems like I read somewhere that I have to first put them on a web based photo archiving site, which I don't have.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:25:15 PM »

Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 11:31:19 PM »

You can upload the images directly to the forum, if the filesize is small (< 500 KB). Click additional options below a post, then click browse to attach an image.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 11:45:56 PM »

Thanks I'll give it a try after I take the photo. I wanted to post a photo when I made the original posting because I think the toggle switch looks good there. It sure is a lot easier to use than the rocker switch.

I'm also pursuing my goal of having a handle bar lever switch to momentarily go to ECO from SPORT modes when dirt riding. Right now I have rewired the high beam passing finger switch to do that job. But ultimately I want a clutch like lever that will put it in ECO mode and turn on the brake light so it will be in the 25% maximum regen mode. This will give me maximum regen deceleration and the safety of the brake light showing. When I get there, I will post the results here.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 12:56:13 AM »

Here is the photo. You can see the rectangular stepped washer that I machined to sit in the rocker sw hole. As i stated before; I'm sure an ordinary round steel washer would work, but since I had the tools I got fancy.

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 02:10:02 AM »

Good job trikester!
Not as fancy as the std. one, but far more effective  ;)
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

jpaulus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 10:25:23 PM »

I'm also pursuing my goal of having a handle bar lever switch to momentarily go to ECO from SPORT modes when dirt riding.

My manual (2012 S) says that the bike needs to be stopped and key off to switch modes.  no?

baumisch

• EV - EREV - PEDELEC Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 02:12:37 AM »

I'm also pursuing my goal of having a handle bar lever switch to momentarily go to ECO from SPORT modes when dirt riding.

My manual (2012 S) says that the bike needs to be stopped and key off to switch modes.  no?

My manual says the same (2012 s ZF9) BUT everybody on this board seems to switch during driving - I do the same now .. I got used to switch to sport at every full stop and switch back to eco while driving .. I would LOOOVE to have a firmware which just has more recu in sport mode ... I hate eco acceleration - it's so slow it's dangerous ...
2011 GreenMover  MTB - 0,25 KW - 0,3 kwH - 27+ km/h - 2.100km
2012 Zero S ZF9 - 9 KW - 9kwH - 140 km/h - 6.200km
2013 Opel Ampera - 111 KW - 16/10 kwH - 160km/h - 55.500km
2015 Tesla Model S P85 - 306 KW - 85 kwH - 210km/h

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 08:55:41 AM »

Harlan (my dealer) reprogrammed my ECO mode so that it has the same acceleration curve as is standard in SPORT mode. Except for the regen deceleration in ECO I can't tell the difference now. Ask your dealer to reprogram your ECO mode for fast acceleration (equal to SPORT).

You mentioned wanting regen in SPORT mode. There is some already in SPORT mode but I want to go the opposite way and ask Harlan to reprogram SPORT mode for no regen at all. When I'm dirt riding I want to chose between free coasting in SPORT (no regen) and rapid deceleration in ECO (full 25% regen) selected "on the fly" by a "clutch" type lever on my left handlebar. It will require a two pole "micro-switch" operated by the lever. One side will short the ECO mode switch contacts (set in SPORT mode) and the other side will drive the stop light to kick it into 25% regen. This is what I'm working toward.

There is no harm done (I've been told) by switching between SPORT and ECO while riding (no matter what the manual says) except Harlan has warned me that in the logic system there is a register that is totaling the number of times it is switched. After thousands of cycles I will get an "error" indication. I can't figure out why ZERO designed it to tally up the number of ECO/SPORT changes. Makes no sense at all ???

ZERO, if your reading this please "splain" the register's purpose! >:(

Trikester

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »

What I really want is to have the motor acceleration not occur for a few more degrees of throttle twist and have the regen progressive.  So to coast you have to turn it more than you do now, and the further you release it, the harder the "engine braking" effect.  I would like it to be so extreme that you consciously sometimes don't let off the throttle all the way coming to a stoplight or red light because you'd stop too soon.  But in Sport mode you can have max regen with out flipping switches. 

I moved my switch to be activated with out moving my hands from the handlebars when i had less than 50 miles on the bike, as I felt the current positioning was unsafe.  The first day I was always riding with one hand and looking to find the switch instead of looking at the road.  I now have over 6000 miles and try to use eco mode each time I stop, but always remain in sport mode.  I was just thinking about it and i'm pretty sure I have close to 1000 "switches" between Eco and Sport if not a whole lot more.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 09:46:26 PM »

I rewired the headlight "passing flash" switch to put it momentarily into ECO mode while riding in SPORT mode (no passing flash, which I never used, available anymore). This works without having to take my hand off the handlebar, by using my index finger, but I still have to tap the brake to get max (25%) regen. However, that flash switch isn't very comfortable to hold down, but is a good interim solution. Going to an actual brake or clutch type lever that will also light the stop light (& put it into 25% regen) will be my ultimate solution. I will still have to "blip" the throttle each time I change modes in order to get it to implement the change.

I'm glad to see that you have about 1K of mode changes without (so far) getting the "dreaded" error indication.  :) Harlan told me it would take thousands of changes to fill the register, so your experience tends to confirm that.

Trikester

Pages: [1]