• April 27, 2024, 02:43:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Results of big dirt climbs, 2012 DS ZF6 rides  (Read 1264 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Results of big dirt climbs, 2012 DS ZF6 rides
« on: July 05, 2012, 03:49:51 AM »

Here are the data I took using my GPS on big climb rides in the Klamath National Forest, in NoCal. The bike outperformed my biggest expectations. The middle ride is inconclusive because I trucked the bike part way up and then got lost and did a bunch of altitude losses and regains that I don't have data for. All of the listed elevation changes are point to point. There were some altitude losses and regains on all of the rides. I have listed the most significant three rides that I did during the week I was there.

The dirt roads hadn't been maintained since winter and were very rocky and rutted. The third ride was like a miles long slalom dodging many rocks that had fallen off the mountain sides onto the road.

I rode in ECO mode entirely. Next I will add a momentary switch lever on the left handlebar so I can quickly defeat it to better coast the shallower slopes, I had to use some throttle on those to keep moving. I did notice that the mode changes don't engage until the throttle comes on briefly. On the first ride I was able to do the 4100 foot decent back down without using my brakes even though there are many 180* sharp switchback turns. I was controlling speed with throttle and regen combination only. It, however, was not as step as the other rides.

The third ride was very encouraging. I did not expect to reach the top, but to turn around when the gauge got down to lees than 1/4. I made it all the way to the top with 1/2 "tank" to spare! The initial climb on that ride is brutal steep and I was not looking forward to having to return the same way. By going over the top I was able to return by a less intimidating slope on the other side of the mountain. I kept the climbs slow and easy on the throttle. At the top of the steepest long climb I could hold my bare hand on the motor and controller. The days were cool which I'm sure helped. I regained one bar by the time I descended back to pavement again. The pavement rides are not fast either because the roads are one car wide with tight, blind, curves.

Next year I will try to do the ride (middle one) from the beginning that I trucked the bike part way this time. There is a possibility that I can make it all the way from the lodge, especially since I won't get lost again ;D

Here are the results:

KLAMATH NATIONAL FOREST FIREROAD RIDES, 2012 ZERO DS ZF6

June 26. 2012: Forest road 10N04 from Otter Bar Lodge to High Point & return.

Total pavement (round trip) = 4.2 mi.
Total dirt (round trip) = 28.2 mi.
Total ride (round trip) = 32.4mi.
Elevation difference, start to high point = +4100’
Gauge @ high point = 6 bars (1/2 “tank”).
Gauge @ finish = 6 bars.
Moving time = 2hr, 16min.
Moving speed ave. = 14.3mph
Recharge = 2.838kwh

June 28, 2012: Various forest roads to Eddy Gulch fire Lookout & return.
(I got lost on way up, was not on the road I thought I was on, much screwing around on the bike)

Truck carry from Otter Bar to start point = 10.5mi & +3288’ gain.
Total pavement (return ride only) = 2.2mi.
Dirt from start point (return ride only) down to pavement = 8.3mi.
Ride start point to Eddy Gulch LO = 18.4mi.
Eddy Gulch LO return to start point = 13.1mi.
Total dirt, from start point to Eddy Gulch LO and return to start point = 31.5mi.
Total ride, start point to EGLO & return to Otter Bar (passing through start point) = 42.1mi.
Elevation @ Eddy Gulch Lookout = 6510’
Elevation difference, start point to Eddy Gulch LO = +2022’.
Total elevation gain = unknown due to getting lost & making several significant losses and regains.
Elevation difference start point (return ride only) to Otter Bar = -3288’
Gauge @ Eddy Gulch LO = 7 bars
Gauge @ finish = 6 bars.
Moving time = 3hr, 20min.
Moving ave. = 12.6mph.
Recharge = 2.99kwh.

June 29, 2012: Yellow Jacket Ridge over the top loop, Otter Bar start & return to Otter Bar.

Pavement, Otter Bar start to dirt start = 4mi.
Pavement return to OB from dirt end = 12.6mi.
OB start to top = 15.3mi.
Total pavement = 16.6mi.
Total dirt = 22.8mi.
Total ride = 39.4mi.
Elevation at top = 5865’
Elevation difference, OB start to top = +4665’
Gauge @ top = 6 bars.
Gauge @ dirt end = 7 bars.
Gauge @ finish = 5 bars.
Moving time = 3hr, 6min.
Moving ave. =12.7mph.
Recharge = 3.713kwh.

Trikester
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 04:06:08 AM by trikester »

Larry295

• View Profile
Re: Results of big dirt climbs, 2012 DS ZF6 rides
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 07:36:01 AM »

Give us more details on what the regen does. It is able to actually recharge the battery and get some bars back?? If yes how long do you need to stay on regen to regain 1 bar?
Thx

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:18:03 AM »

great report Trikester ! the Zero seems to be well suited for this kind of stuff. Sounds like fun.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:30:06 AM »

Sweet. I have to find me some decent trails around here (they won't be Klamath fire roads, unfortunately :))
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 11:45:10 PM »

In reply to Larry295's question it does put energy back into the battery, like being able to manufacture gasoline while going downhill in a car  ;) However, it takes a lot of downhill to gain back one bar. I did that two or three times and it appeared that I was just barely into that new bar because it didn't take much uphill riding to use it up. It would help to have the remaining battery energy divided up into more bars to get better resolution. I read somewhere in ZERO's writings that the most we can get back is 25%. I don't remember where I read that. Also, it takes a very steep downhill to continue coasting in ECO mode. Most of the time it was; "a little throttle then back off, more slight throttle, then back off, and so on. That's why I want to be able to "play" a momentary switch for "Sport - Eco" as I ride. I would have it in ECO and then momentarily defeat it with the handlebar switch to coast more freely. However, the bike still doesn't coast completely free in SPORT mode (as I'm sure every rider has noticed) and that's why I have a "quick link" in my chain (conversion), so that if I had to push or coast back with a dead battery I can remove the chain to freewheel.

In reply to manlytom: I had an extreme amount of fun the whole week. I liked the bike before, I'm in love with it now! This 2012 handles even better than my good handling 2010 DS. One time in a "panic" slow down to miss a hole, lurking in deep shadow, I slid the front wheel on the gravel and quickly recovered without losing control or balance. When the wheel slid it turned about 30 or 40 degrees to the right, but releasing the brake I quickly recovered without even starting to fall. This bike is definitely a confidence builder! Oh, and I missed the hole also. Reminder to self - keep hand away from front brake on loose, rocky, dirt descents. :o

Trikester

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 12:23:30 AM »

I forgot to mention my tires and pressure in my original posting.

Front tire = Kenda K270, 4.6" x 17" running at 12 PSI.

Rear tire = K270, 5.1" x 17" running at 17 PSI.

Trikester

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 07:29:53 AM »

So for such kind of adventure riding the DS seems to work out well -- hmmm I might need to get one to compliment my S :). Like the belt drive however ...

Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:40:40 AM »

Belt is nice and quiet but one rock can leave you stranded with no repair. It is not a good idea for dirt riding unless your trails are good soil without many loose rocks. I was disappointed that ZERO put a belt drive on the 2012 DS (OK, in my opinion, for the S).

When I converted to chain I also increased the ratio some (lower gearing) for dirt riding. It's still fine for the highway.

I carry extra quick links, a short length of chain, and a chain break tool in my tool kit but fortunately have never had to use them in the field.

Trikester

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 10:13:20 AM »

AN IMPORTANT THING I FORGOT TO MENTION!

Harlan at Hollywood Electrics, my ZERO dealer, modified the software controlled profile of my ECO mode to give me acceleration and torque that is equal to SPORT mode. This was very good for dirt riding control. Previous to this change I didn't like using ECO in dirt because often I needed fast torque response, as any of you experienced dirt riders will understand. Now with the ECO profile change I get instant and direct response when I twist on the throttle, just like SPORT mode.

Anybody's dealer should be able to do this for them. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Trikester
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:22:16 AM by trikester »

CliC

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Results of big dirt climbs, 2012 DS ZF6 rides
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 10:48:54 PM »

Anybody's dealer should be able to do this for them. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Trikester
I'm going to ask mine next time I'm there. But I sometimes get the feeling that Harlan is the only one that attempts this stuff :)
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 07:23:57 AM »

I guess the dealers need to swap the spark plugs with a computer.
Tom
Pages: [1]