• April 29, 2024, 11:27:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The ZERO CanBus communication protocol  (Read 7759 times)

Joseph

• View Profile
Re: The ZERO CanBus communication protocol
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 11:24:42 PM »

Thank you for the usefull information.
With the intention of getting better information about powerconsumption and especially remainig energy and range,
i am searching for useable sensors.
offthegrid wrote: "..There is a port for the bms near the sight glass behind the rubber plug and one for the main bike board which looks like an OBDII port but only uses 4 pins."
If there is a connetcable CAN-bus in ZERO S 2012, the desired informations can be read out by an approporate Equipment.
This Equipment is easy to built (Microcontroler an LCD-Display).
I found the bms port, but not the OBDII port on the main bike board.
Very useful would be the pin assignement of CAN-connectivity.

kind regards,
Joseph

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 12:20:46 AM »

Standing in front of your bike looking at the left side under the tank you see the OBDII.

It is covered.

Pin 6 is CAN high
Pin 14 is Can low

It is the standard on the OBDII and Zero did it in this way.

Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 03:16:42 AM »

BSDThw, thank you very much for the information.
I will report as soon as i am successfully in evaluating the CAN-protokol of ZERO S 2012.

kind regards
Joseph

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 12:37:54 AM »

Does somebody know the RS232 connection?

I can't ask my dealer, because he is still waiting for the Software/Cable him self.

Why do you use a RS232 to USB? (OK if your Laptop has none, but are there any other reason?)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 01:31:40 AM »

Zero uses a USB to RS232 (custom 8 pin connector) because their dealer support kit includes a netbook without serial.

When I tried hooking up directly with RS232 (bypassing their cable) I saw scrambled data coming back (character echo). This could be due to an incorrect configuration on my end or intermittent connection for the data signals. It also could be a simple system protecting against casual access to the serial port.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »

Set the data rate to 38400 baud for both the BMS and Main bike board OBDII connection.  I can't say any more on the forum but you'll need to know some Back To The Future trivia on power quantities to get any further.  If you know where I'm going with this please keep it to yourself. Earlier this summer when I was having cut outs the customer service guys at zero, knowing I was hundreds of miles from the closest dealer, explained to me how to retrieve the info off the bike to try to diagnose the issues and get data and logs to send them to help troubleshoot remotely, but since then they have decided to not want customers to do this themselves.  And I can understand why, lots of commands can accidently erase eeprom data and more.  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 08:00:04 AM by offthegrid »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 09:25:37 AM »

Set the data rate to 38400 baud for both the BMS and Main bike board OBDII connection.  I can't say any more on the forum but you'll need to know some Back To The Future trivia on power quantities to get any further.  If you know where I'm going with this please keep it to yourself. Earlier this summer when I was having cut outs the customer service guys at zero, knowing I was hundreds of miles from the closest dealer, explained to me how to retrieve the info off the bike to try to diagnose the issues and get data and logs to send them to help troubleshoot remotely, but since then they have decided to not want customers to do this themselves.  And I can understand why, lots of commands can accidently erase eeprom data and more.  
Now here is one that Zero can improve on the 2013s or even do a firmware up that allows us to have a layer of access for read or safe adjustments only. Far away or people to like to tinker within a certain level.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »

Tanks Offthegrid,

to help troubleshoot remotely, but since then they have decided to not want customers to do this themselves.

I see the intention and I can understand Zeros attitude. It can destroy Data or even worse kill somebody or yourself.

pinaz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 04:18:25 AM »

I'm a new Zero owner (and an EE).

The OBDII connector for my '11 Zero XU was hidden under the starboard "fuel tank" body panel.  To find it, I went through the torture of removing the seat followed by trying to pop off the body panel without damaging the flimsy plastic fasteners.  However, if one buys an OBDII "extension cord" and has a small hand, it is feasible to ignore the physical pain of cramming one's hand underneath the body panel to reach it.

The connector location (accessible from the front of the bike) mentioned on another thread for a different Zero model (DS?) seems far preferable.

At least on this model, the connector has contacts populated for pins 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, 13, and 14.  Zero seems to be using all the vendor specific pins:

5 signal ground
6 CAN high
8 vendor specific (+3.3V when ON)
9 vendor specific
12 vendor specific (+3.3V when ON)
13 vendor specific (+5V when ON)
14 CAN low

A normal OBDII scanner won't work without pin 16 (+12V battery voltage) to power it, which seems to jibe with other posts.  What a pity... surely Zero could have tied that pin to the DC:DC converter output used to power the 12V accessories like the headlamp, etc.  Doing so would have also opened up the market to allow an adapter for smartphone integration, which seems to be a topic of interest on this board.  Anyway....

Now, just because Zero used the CAN pins it doesn't necessarily mean that:
a) it talks CAN, and/or
b) the CAN implementation conforms to OBDII

With a scope, I see CAN-like traffic at about 12kbps, which is not promising, since I believe OBDII CAN is 250kbps.

Moreover, I put together a test rig where I injected power manually to an OBDII scanner and tried talking to the bike.  No dice.

So, I guess it is proprietary all the way for Zero. :(

I'm a bit puzzled about the posts of using a USB "RS232" adapter to talk to the MBB.

At the risk of being pedantic, "RS-232" proper could use signal levels anywhere from +5V/-5V to +15V/-15V.  However, from what voltages I'm seeing on the pins when the bike is ON, it is using logic levels (either +5V/0V or 3.3V/0V).  If someone used a store-bought USB to RS-232 adapter and connected up the pins, the MBB could be damaged.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
Re: Re: The ZERO CanBus communication protocol
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 01:42:51 AM »

Also remember the 2012 and 2011 are very different. The 2011 uses the mbb for its main I/o and settings, and the 2012 uses the sevcon.

So the 2011 is 9600 baud with the mbb serial and the 2012 is 38400 with the canbus for the sevcon. Both achieved easily via the odb2

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:33:06 AM by Doctorbass »
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Re: Re: The ZERO CanBus communication protocol
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »

Also remember the 2012 and 2011 are very different. The 2011 uses the mbb for its main I/o and settings, and the 2012 uses the sevcon.

So the 2011 is 9600 baud with the mbb serial and the 2012 is 38400 with the canbus for the sevcon. Both achieved easily via the odb2

OK now the BIg Question is:

Does the 2011 zero that use RS-232 is using the CAN low and CAN high as TX and RX for the rs-232 serial communication ?

CAN Low = TX ? or RX

CAN high = TX ? or  RX ?

Is that right?

And does the magic BTTF password is working for both 2012 and 2011 ?

Big thanks for that important answer ;)

Doc
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:16:37 AM by Doctorbass »

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 08:46:49 AM »

The 2011 does not use can from the ODBII. The 2012 uses CAN.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 12:38:47 PM »

So the 2011 use RS-232 ( serial) with the TX and RX from the u-art line ?

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 09:56:17 AM »

So the 2011 use RS-232 ( serial) with the TX and RX from the u-art line ?

Hi guys I have now disassembled the whole bike and swapped throttle, controller, motor and MBB ==> no change ! Checked contactor, cables etc. all seems good. At the end of my ideas but for getting the log files of my 2011S. How do I do that ? It seems the 2011 talk RS232 on the OBD2 plug. so 9600baud, pw??? or how?
help appreciated as it is now over 8 weeks and bike in pieces and Zero gone quiet !
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto
Pages: 1 [2] 3