• April 29, 2024, 03:14:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: MCN article on electric motorcycles  (Read 3410 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Re: MCN article on electric motorcycles
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 11:51:19 PM »

Harlan has reinforced what I said previously about the need for bulk energy storage at service stations in the case of very fast charging of multiple vehicles.

As I mentioned in my previous posts, most of the fluid flow battery research has gone into huge batteries (the size of storage containers) for bulk storage from wind and solar. In addition to the flywheel/generator storage I previously mentioned, I would imagine that the same fluid flow battery technology could be used for the bulk electrical storage at service stations for peak demand.

In reply to Clic about sending fluid into many small cells; The fluid flow battery would not be anything like the Li-ion batteries we use now. From what I have read about the technology the fluid chamber is one complete cavity (can we say "fuel tank"?).

Trikester

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 12:47:10 AM »

I wouldn't expect the same kind of demand of electric filling stations as gas stations and i have never come across a gas station with 30 pumps.  The largest here has 8.  The only places that will need capacity for 10 or so cars at once would be a major highway route as you wouldn't need to fill up once a week like i did with my gas bike as it charges overnight.  Its only on a long journey.

Besides, 10 cars charging at 120KW isn't all that significant.  The last outdoor TV production I did we used 1.5MW of generators.  Google continuously pulls 300MW from the grid and they don't have problems running in the power lines for new server farms.   If China can build a 700 mile long aquaduct then im sure the US can stretch to hanging a few extra HT lines on their pylons.  Its just back to the chicken and egg thing but the advantage of fast charging is that electricity is always electricity.  The chances of every EV manufacturer standardising on a single type of electrolyte and delivery method is slim to nil.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 01:09:54 AM »

The chances of every EV manufacturer standardising on a single type of electrolyte and delivery method is slim to nil.

Yeah, they used to say that about gasoline back when cars ran on alchohol or lead batteries and gasoline was dumped into rivers because there was no demand for it.

No matter what we think or say today it will be the technology that best serves the market that will become the "standard" in the future. It may even be something we know nothing about today (probably will be).

Back when I was first flying electric model planes it was a challenge to just make them fly at all and then stay up more than a couple of minutes. Now I fly electric models that outperform gas powered models. Years ago I would have thought that to be impossible. Years from now the electric bikes we are riding today will be curious collectors items. They probably won't even be rideable because nobody will have the batteries that they used "back in the old days".

That's what keeps the future exciting!

Trikester

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2012, 03:49:18 AM »

Don't forget that wireless charging will increase the number of opportunity charges that people will be able to do. this means that fast charging will remain a thing of the motorways.

I can remember that some company once presented a bike stand where you could ride your front forks into and which would lock the bike and deliver a charge at the same time. I would love one of these at home but they were never taken to production.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2012, 06:36:52 AM »

Whatever they eventually come up with, I do hope we can still charge at home. It's the only cheap thing about owning an electric bike. If we have to pay $10 to recharge a battery at a service station, it's going to take a lot of the fun away.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2012, 10:39:34 PM »

The good thing you will always bee able to charge at home, it is only a question of the charger or an converter from grid to your charger.

I don't know how it is in the US, but we have "colored heating oil" so you can't use it with your car without being punished if tested.

So it is not possible to make "colored" "expansive current" ;D for motor vehicles => this explains to me why our government is not really interested to push electromobility. ;)

Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7
Pages: 1 2 [3]