• April 29, 2024, 06:13:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Cold temperature, effects on 2012 Zero energy gauge and range prediction  (Read 4314 times)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Cold temperature, effects on 2012 Zero energy gauge and range prediction
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 09:38:04 PM »

Warmer temps sure were nice while they lasted. Yesterday dropped down to 35F midday, back up to 37 when I went home but still saw the vanishing bars. Arrived home with 1 flashing bar left @ 26 miles. Used 3.9 kWH to overnight charge (150 Wh/mile), but that may include a pack balance .. so battery used was probably 3.0-3.2 kWh.

Edit: It was raining yesterday. I use more power in the rain, so 150 Wh/mile is reasonable for me @ 45-55 mph.
The overall wall power usage doesn't bother me, I'm more concerned about seeing a > 50% range reduction according to the energy gauge with temps in the mid 30s.

I guess I just need to get off my butt and contact Zero support, verify that nothing is wrong.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:26:23 AM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 01:28:25 AM »

Sorry but I don't ride my bike at the moment, too much salt on the street that eat my aluminum.

But the last commuting rides I did, I was lightly covered with ice when arrived at work (10miles) so it must be around 32°F. I could see slightly more energy use at the display but nothing like you have. I can't test it more for you, but I believe there will be a mismatch in your system.
Maybe oxidation at a current / voltage sensor point?
But I think it is odd.

Do other folks agree with my experience? So let protomech know and he can decide to be sure there is a defect or otherwise we find out it is a design glitch.  :-\
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

swiftsam

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 02:36:55 AM »

I've been riding to work all winter so far on my '12 ZF6 with morning temperatures between 25 and 45.  My round trip is 25 miles and I haven't noticed any real change in battery indication compared to warm weather.  I almost always get back with 1 bar more than half a "tank", and I haven't seen a change worth reporting as the weather changes.
2013 S ZF14.4

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2013, 12:25:15 AM »

I've been riding to work all winter so far on my '12 ZF6 with morning temperatures between 25 and 45.  My round trip is 25 miles and I haven't noticed any real change in battery indication compared to warm weather.  I almost always get back with 1 bar more than half a "tank", and I haven't seen a change worth reporting as the weather changes.

That's reassuring to read. :) Thanks.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2013, 07:11:23 PM »

It dropped below freezing for the first time this Winter yesterday.  Funnily enough i didn't take the bike out.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2013, 09:30:06 PM »

I take it that the temperature outside was Zero.   ;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2013, 10:53:19 PM »

That's what my bike looked like when I walked out of work Thursday ; )

45 degrees when I left Friday. 6 bars remaining when I got home.

pepeps

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 04:29:43 AM »

Today I test rode a DS in 41 degrees F.
The gauge read 50% charge throughout the ride, but after about 20 minutes my top speed was 41 mph after gradual deterioration.  I don't know if this is because of the relative cold or because of an incomplete charge; perhaps it was a malfunction.
Although I am committed to the concept of electrics, I doubt I will purchase until performance is more assured.
For the cost it did not seem a very refined machine.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 07:33:37 AM »

Was it a ZF6?  I havent experienced that on the ZF9 but it happened below 50% on the X.  Its because the power available from each cell decreases when they get cold and low on charge.  On a bigger pack like the ZF9 the load is spread across more individual cells so it is much less noticeable.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 08:02:10 PM »

Today I test rode a DS in 41 degrees F.
The gauge read 50% charge throughout the ride, but after about 20 minutes my top speed was 41 mph after gradual deterioration.  I don't know if this is because of the relative cold or because of an incomplete charge; perhaps it was a malfunction.
I have a ZF6 and have seen similar cold performance, although not as dramatic.  Maybe a top speed of 60ish at 1/2 charge at that temperature.   
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 08:53:22 PM »

Last night I got a chance to pin my ZF9 after a 35 degree F cold soak at ~70% SOC. I could hit a maximum of 75 mph in Sport mode, and it held that speed for at least a mile.

swiftsam

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 08:40:18 PM »

Last night I got a chance to pin my ZF9 after a 35 degree F cold soak at ~70% SOC. I could hit a maximum of 75 mph in Sport mode, and it held that speed for at least a mile.

I just got a speeding ticket going 70 when it was 19 degrees out.  I had just gotten onto the highway and was trying to jump in behind a truck for wind cover.  passed an unmarked car in the process.  I guess I'm saying I haven't experienced enough cold-temp performance degradation for my own good.
2013 S ZF14.4

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:34 PM »

Cold temp performance has been perfect for me.  Went for a 60 mile ride in 28 degree weather and the battery gauge reading was accurate (similar to performance in 50-60 degree temps), performance was great!  Had an estimated range of 80-85 miles.  Didn't feel like going fast in the cold, but I'm sure it would have been a (icy) blast.

Seems like any anomaly in performance is on individual bikes.  I've been riding in all temperatures and haven't seen much performance difference in different temperatures. 

Slightly less range in cold temps, but when compared to similar speed runs at higher temperatures, there has been only very little difference.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 10:56:45 PM »

Seems like any anomaly in performance is on individual bikes.  I've been riding in all temperatures and haven't seen much performance difference in different temperatures.

Yep, that seems possible.

I'm also typically seeing the anomaly only after the bike sits in the cold; when I start from my garage @ 55 degrees F there is very little range degradation.

Somewhat tempted to charge the bike to full, then let the bike sit overnight @ 25 degrees, then go for a ride and see if the indicated charge immediately plummets (as it does on the far end of my commute).

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »

I just got a speeding ticket going 70 when it was 19 degrees out.  I had just gotten onto the highway and was trying to jump in behind a truck for wind cover.  passed an unmarked car in the process.  I guess I'm saying I haven't experienced enough cold-temp performance degradation for my own good.

Hey, Swiftsam, does that count as the first speeding ticket ever for an electric motorcycle?  I think you should frame it and put it in a museum!

I rode in in mid-20s weather this morning and had no trouble hitting 89 on the speedo, but I discount that by 5-10%.

--Karl
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4