• April 29, 2024, 01:01:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Future of Charging  (Read 6143 times)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Future of Charging
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2013, 07:34:09 AM »

I dont believe that current wireless charging is anywhere close to 90% efficient.  Part of the point of an EV is that we arent wasting energy.  Is plugging in a single cable really that difficult?

Well, that's the claim.

From a BBC report on wireless car charging:
“Tests show the system is more than 90% efficient compared to a cable charge,” he says and the car does not even need to be perfectly aligned with the device. As a result, it could be built into low street curbs over which the car-borne magnet (which is installed under the bonnet) would hang, he says.

From an efficiency point of view, I agree that wireless charging is never a win. However, consider that wireless charging is still generally more efficient than an ICE vehicle - so if it sways someone to choose electric over gas, then it is probably a net win.

Wireless charging also has a huge convenience advantage over wired charging for short stops. A 15 minute stop may only give you a few miles - you might not bother to plug in with a wired connection, especially if your hands were full on either end. But that's still a few miles worth of charge.

Wireless charging also *should* be more resistant to vandalism - thick lengths of copper cable are sometimes snipped & stolen - and it may even be cheaper to lay out new parking lots with multiple units vs buying a J1772 EVSE for every 2-4 parking spots.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Biff

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2013, 02:47:04 AM »

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:51:36 AM by Biff »

kbfcanada

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2013, 02:07:48 AM »

Without reading this entire lengthy thread (sorry, I only stop by once every 2 months!), my vote is for compatibility with Tesla Superchargers :) Seriously, all it NEEDS is a NEMA 14-50 plug, and it will be fine, and these are all over the place (RV parks) and CHEAP to install. In an emergency, most houses have them if they have relatively new ranges. It's what I use with my Tesla at home and is completely sufficient. Road trips where you are time-limited are the only situations where you need anything more.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]