• April 29, 2024, 08:09:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: 2013 Zero S start/charge problem (Replacement bike received)  (Read 7230 times)

DesignerDan

• View Profile
2013 Zero S start/charge problem (Replacement bike received)
« on: March 24, 2013, 04:53:48 AM »

I just bought a 2013 zero s 8.5 yesterday. It ran fine yesterday and most of today. However earlier I was riding and the bar battery gauge displayed half bars and the bluetooth app also indicated 50% charge. Well all of the sudden the RPM analog gauge dropped to zero (I'm going about 45 mph) and the battery bar gauge went to zero bars. The bluetooth app "froze" in place. After about a mile the whole bike shut off but the dashboard was still lit up. I tried cycling the key switch but then the dash wouldn't even turn on. I pushed the bike to the nearest outlet and tried charging it. Nothing. (I know for a fact the outlet was powered) I tried plugging/unplugging several times. I tried cycling the key switch. Still nothing. I called customer support only to find out they don't operate on weekends. Great. I tried cycling the key switch a few more times and then all the sudden it turned on. The dash displayed half bars or 50% just like where it left off. I plugged it in and it started charging. I charged for a few minutes and went immediately home. At home I had one bar left. I plugged it in and it started charging. After about 20 minutes the the green charging light became solid green. In disbelief that the charging was complete I tried turning on the bike. Nothing. I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in. The green charging light comes on but is solid green. The bike refuses to turn on now.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here!? It's like there's gremlins in my bike and zero's customer support wont be available until Monday.

-Dan
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 07:14:22 AM by DesignerDan »

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: Please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:09:38 AM »

Id have to say this is what warranties are for, on such a new bike get them to sort it rather than messing with anything.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 06:55:07 AM »

It sure sounds like a wire came loose somewhere.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Biff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 10:22:56 AM »

If you do get the bike to turn on, or charge, connect your bluetooth device and use the "contact support" screen to email the bike log to customer support. I am sure they would like to see it.

-ryan

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »

Is there any update?  Did Zero get you back up and going?  If so, can you share what they found?
Thanks,
Bill
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 10:32:15 PM »

Unfortunately the bike is still sitting in my garage, useless. It still wont turn on or recharge. I was contacted by zero yesterday and today and they said the engineers are looking at the data logs. There's still no answer to what the problem is but they suspect it's a problem with main bike board. Ill post an update when they find out what is wrong and how they will go about resolving the problem.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 05:40:45 AM »

The bike has to go back to the dealership tomorrow.

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 03:52:59 AM »

I understand your frustration, and it reminds me what happened when Bill Gates a long time ago (at a show called COMDEX) made his analogy about the car business development -GM- vs Microsoft...

Now, seriously, this looks like a control system malfunction, nothing serious, I guess, not nice, as we all expect reliable products when we buy them.
Do not worry, Zero will fix it.

Welcome to the early adopters club  ;)
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 03:25:48 AM »

Wednesday, 6:01 pm. The zero was loaded on the trailer. Don't worry, I promise I didn't "Broder" it. It's legitimately not working. The guy from the dealer that loaded the bike said "You know these things don't need gas, right?" (The zero was being picked up at a gas station) I didn't find his joke funny.

Thursday the problem was determined to be the main bike board. A new one was overnight shipped with an expected delivery date of Friday.

Friday (today), the part hasn't arrived yet and the dealership closes in less than two hours. The mechanics at the dealer heard my story and said if all this happened to them they would have returned the bike and demanded their money back.

Tomorrow will mark a full week of the bike being broken. I'm losing money because of this issue. Not only am I paying for a bike, and insurance on said bike that I don't even have, but I've lost approximately $50 in gas this week by having to drive a car around town everyday for work.

Here is a video of what happens sometimes when the bike turns on but doesn't move:

That video was taken right before the bike went back to the dealership on Wednesday.

Just to recap, this bike was ordered from the dealership February 25. There was a one delay in the estimated delivery date. Then, when it did arrive at the dealer it was "critically" damaged and had to be sent back. That was March 13th. The second bike had a delivery date of March 21st. It came March 22nd and I picked it up that day. It then broke March 23rd. It is now March 29 and still, no bike.

It doesn't seem like there is anyone to blame. I apparently was just a really unlucky costumer and Zero and the dealership are working hard to resolve the issue. It's just a shame the nature of the issue resulted in me only having my California wonder-bike for only one day.

Hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow and I will have it back and I will be in a much better mood because how could anyone ride this bike and not be smiling! :)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 03:44:49 AM »

You have my best wishes for a speedy recovery, DesignerDan.  We would all like to see your Zero moving instead of making funny faces at you.  Have a Happy Easter!
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 09:52:07 AM »

Time heals all wounds. Soon this will all be a distant memory trying to sneak back into a happy head and to be rejected by a smile  :)

Trikester

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »

I would join Richard & Trikester in their statements...In a few days you will be a happy rider.
I do not own a 13' model, yet ::) but I did test with a few other people all of the new models last year (the bikes were pre-production units), they all worked fine, not a single failure...and they are great, huge step forward in comparing with 12' models.
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 07:55:40 PM »

Thanks for video, good to see detail of dash and controls. Still no bike in Australia.
So any info and video is good to see.
You have your bike fixed soon, at most you wait a week or bit more
I have been waiting 2 years to purchase a zero :(

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 10:49:59 PM »

Just to give a quick update, the dealership contacted me yesterday (Saturday) at about 4:30. They said the main bike board wasn't in yet but they expect it early next week. They also said I could stop by and pick up one of their floor models (2013 DS 11.4) and I could ride that until mine was fixed! I was really happy to here that. Now that's service! Unfortunately, they closed at 5. I suspect the intentionally waited until 30 minutes before closing to inform me of this in hopes that I wouldn't be able to make it in time. (Which I wasn't) The dealership is closed today and I have to go to work tomorrow before they open. So chances are by the time I get off work my bike should be fixed and I won't need to borrow one of their floor bikes. But it's nice knowing that even if they aren't able to fix it on Monday I will still be taking a Zero home Monday night. :)

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 11:38:47 PM »

Change of plans; they gave me their 2012 ds demo bike. It's still a zero and still a great bike so I can't complain. I just hope they are able to fix mine in a timely manner.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5