• June 16, 2024, 07:43:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: 2012 S zf6 Motor cutting out  (Read 15149 times)

rotoiti

• View Profile
Re: 2012 S zf6 Motor cutting out
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2013, 05:37:42 AM »

So what's the preferred method dealing with this glitch? I am actually closer to Zero than to the dealer I bought the bike from. But I guess they would want me to go to the dealer anyway. Should I call Zero? The dealer? My worry is that by the time I get to the dealer the glitch will stop manifesting itself (it seems to happen at the beginning of a ride usually).
2014 Zero SR, 2012 Zero DS ZF9 (gone)

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2013, 01:14:21 AM »

My experience was that if you keep calling Zero tech support you will eventually get through.  They might tell you to go to the dealer to download the logs from your bike, but maybe you can talk them into letting you come to the factory.

--Karl

swiftsam

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2013, 09:53:30 PM »

My bike has been at the dealer for 4 days now, and it doesn't really sound like they've made any progress.  They've got a bike with similar problems at the factory and the engineers are hoping to find a solution for that one that will fix my bike too.  So basically, mine is just sitting in the corner waiting for an answer.  No real forecast for when it might be resolved.

I'm feeling frustrated.
2013 S ZF14.4

rotoiti

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2013, 12:50:03 AM »

Any updates from people having issues?

I noticed that my "glitch" happens when I walk the bike backwards (i.e. from a parking spot or garage) while the "ignition" is on. The bike then emits noises from the engine and starts having problems shortly thereafter.

For the last 2 weeks or so I have been careful to turn the bike off with the key if I had to back off somewhere and didn't have any recurrence of the "glitch". I have put about 400 miles on without a glitch. It might be a coincidence though, I am not sure.
2014 Zero SR, 2012 Zero DS ZF9 (gone)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2013, 06:36:51 AM »

No problems here.  In fact my starting in the morning double-boot problem seems to occur less and less often lately.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2013, 11:08:38 PM »

Yesterday, I had three stalls in one mile, then the bike would not restart.  Warning light flashing.   Started to walk the bike home.  Then I noticed the kill button (almost never used) was partially pushed in.  Releasing the kill button fixed the problem.  Now my kill button doesnt work at all, bike still runs even if I push the button in.

Bringing the bike to Carbon Negative on Thursday to ship back to Zero while I am on summer vacation.  Hoping we will get all problems resolved  . . .

--Karl

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »

I've dropped my bike off at my local dealer (~100 miles away). They say it'll take 2-3 weeks before they even get a chance to look at it. I'm pretty irritated. I fully charged the bike before I shipped it over so there should be no danger of "bricking" the battery .. but I'd just as soon not keep it at full charge for that length of time either.

I'll update when I hear back.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

swiftsam

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2013, 11:27:42 PM »

My bike as been at the dealer for 2.5 weeks now.  I've spoken with the Zero rep three times now since I dropped it off and it hasn't been very reassuring.  The bike they have at the factory worked fine again after they replaced the encoder.  They were considering just replacing mine, but I got the sense that they didn't think it would fix it permanently, just reset it to the beginning of its lifespan.  It's been 8 days now since they gave me an update.  It's too bad that I rode my bike all through the winter but now I'm missing most of June.
2013 S ZF14.4

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2013, 02:59:10 AM »

Yesterday, I had three stalls in one mile, then the bike would not restart.  Warning light flashing.   Started to walk the bike home.  Then I noticed the kill button (almost never used) was partially pushed in.  Releasing the kill button fixed the problem.  Now my kill button doesnt work at all, bike still runs even if I push the button in.

Bringing the bike to Carbon Negative on Thursday to ship back to Zero while I am on summer vacation.  Hoping we will get all problems resolved  . . .

--Karl

I've never used the kill switch. I understand the concept on an ICE bike but an electric? Just turn the "ignition" key.

Seems like that useless kill switch is causing more headaches than it's worth. 

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2013, 03:29:39 AM »

My guess is that the kill switch is required by DOT regulations.  I recall that both of my Electric Motorsport GPR-S bikes had one too and it also seemed to be useless - other than it was designed so that you needed to operate it in order to get the bike moving.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Re: 2012 S zf6 Motor cutting out
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »

Got a call from the regional Zero tech. The encoder on the motor is indeed glitching. They're looking at a motor replacement (still on lengthy back order), but also may be able to replace just the encoder.

Zero is also working on MBB and controller firmware updates that may fix the problem as well. I hope they can come up with a solution that kills the encoder glitching for good.

I understand the concept on an ICE bike but an electric? Just turn the "ignition" key.

Seems like that useless kill switch is causing more headaches than it's worth.

Suppose your throttle faults open somehow, or another glitch causes the motor to go full power.

You can brake and probably overcome the motor torque, probably .. until the pads heat up.

You can kill bike power, which also kills your indicator lights.

Having an off switch adds another component that can fault, but I think it still has a purpose.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2013, 09:56:47 PM »

With 6600+ miles on my '12 DS, I've recently experience my first several "no response to throttle" glitches, each time after waiting several minutes at left-turn lights.  Had to waddle the bike along the crosswalk while rebooting to avoid holding up traffic.  First time was after exiting the highway after moderately high speed commute; latest was after a few blocks of surface streets.  Sigh... :(
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

Bdavis

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2013, 02:09:08 AM »

So far I have had my 2012 zf6s "repaired" two times for the glitch. Both repairs taking close to a month each. This weekend the glitch came back yet again.  I have less than 2500 miles and it just hit one year. I do not want to, but I may have to get a lawyer and try to return under The state's lemon law.  I love the bike, but almost getting killed in an intersection due to this takes all of the fun out. 

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2013, 07:27:34 AM »

I love the bike, but almost getting killed in an intersection due to this takes all of the fun out.

I have been lucky enough to be able to coast to the shoulder on each of my cutout events at speed, and able to get out of traffic by pushing at the two traffic light turns green no-response-to-throttle events.  The "waiting for the glitch" is impinging on the joy, for sure...  Sure hope there is a robust fix in the pipeline!
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2013, 09:36:27 AM »

I also had these  famous glitch recently on my ZF9 ::)

A problem that i did not had on my brushed motor of the DS 2011 :-\

- With about 3 bar remaining, motor stopped while accelerating ( i had to cycle it to restart)
- Motor wnt restart after few miniutes of no use but with key ON ( had to cycle it to restart)
- While accelerating at about 40mph the motor vibrated more and i noticed power loss for few second then that dissapeard....

If the solution is to return the motor and/or controller to Zero and to not have my bike for couples of weeks remaining of the summer i am not sure i would do that now!

Where is the sumarry of problem vs cause? and wich problem is from teh battery bad waterproofing pcb and wich is from bad encoder exactly?

Can  Recalibrating the motor encoder using the MBB solve the problem ? if so, then i can do that.

Doc

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10