• April 28, 2024, 02:33:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Brammo Empulse vs. Zero S 11.4  (Read 6518 times)

BSDThw

• View Profile
Re: Brammo Empulse vs. Zero S 11.4
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 07:48:27 PM »

your cross sectional area..... tucking sounds better doesn't it

I am soooo excited to see how Terry's "Vetter fairing" will change the values!
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 03:42:09 AM »

Luke (liveforphysics) who seems to be in the know about Zero motorcycles had this to say about the differences in performance between the DS and the S on the elmoto forum:

You're aware one bike uses a Sevcon Gen4 size6 and one uses a Sevcon Gen 4 size4 right?

That was news to me.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 04:21:57 AM »

Luke (liveforphysics) who seems to be in the know about Zero motorcycles had this to say about the differences in performance between the DS and the S on the elmoto forum:

You're aware one bike uses a Sevcon Gen4 size6 and one uses a Sevcon Gen 4 size4 right?

That was news to me.
He didn't say that Richard........ He was replying to another post about the original topic, Zero S versus Brammo Empulse R......not to my posts about the Zero S and DS.

Brammo Empulse R/E1 = Gen4 Size 6
Zero S/DS = Gen4 Size 4

Luke works at Zero, BTW.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 04:25:21 AM by frodus »
Travis

emotofreak

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2013, 04:22:21 AM »

Still waiting for dyno comparisons and/or side-by-side drag races. Until then it's all speculation.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2013, 04:52:28 AM »

That was news to me.
He didn't say that Richard........ He was replying to another post about the original topic, Zero S versus Brammo Empulse R......not to my posts about the Zero S and DS.

Brammo Empulse R/E1 = Gen4 Size 6
Zero S/DS = Gen4 Size 4

Luke works at Zero, BTW.

Well, that response got me confused.  I was wondering why two such similar models would have different controllers.

Regarding the topic about the efficiency between the S and DS, I wonder if the specifications are incorrect?  Perhaps the original plan was to use the lower gearing on the DS (as was done in 2012) and then the plan changed when the bikes were put into production - but the performance figures didn't change from what might have been determined from a prototype.  That would explain the difference between the two bikes, although I still think the DS would be a little slower and have a little less range due to the previous discussion - just not as much as are listed in the brochure.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2013, 05:09:40 AM »

I think you brought up good points about the taller cross sectional area.... and together with the higher rolling resistance, and 8lbs more in weight.... I think it would effect the bike. Weight and speed both effect the drag from rolling resistance.

So the S to DS change in city, was about 9%... we can assume that air friction is almost negligible at that point so it's mostly going to be because of the rolling resistance. That rolling resistance increases with speed, so the faster you go the worse it gets (linearly).

Then, the S to DS change in highway was about 15%.... and the main difference being speed. the difference betwen the city and highway change is 6%..... So lets say the Cd*A (Coefficient of air friction times cross sectional area) is most of that, and the rest is because of the rolling resistance.

So I'd say it's close.... I don't see any glaring errors in those values.
Travis
Pages: 1 2 [3]