• April 28, 2024, 09:33:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Delta-Q User's Guide  (Read 1709 times)

BSDThw

• View Profile
Delta-Q User's Guide
« on: April 20, 2013, 11:23:59 PM »

If someone need to check if the Delta-Q use the right algorithm I have attached the "User's Guide" and "Programming Instructions" I got with my additional Chargers.

Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

BSDThw

• View Profile
Re: Delta-Q User's Guide
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 11:26:59 PM »

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 11:27:44 PM »

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 01:48:32 AM »

I got that also with my charger. However, the indicator LED's don't follow the published sequence. I contacted Zero engineering and they said they were aware of that and were working with Delta-Q to straighten it out. They said to go ahead and use the charger even though it continues to do a full current charge for awhile after the green LED indicates that it is at full charge. The charge current level bar-graph LED's don't ramp down, it just stays at the top one and then goes dark while the current is still at high level as indicated by my Wh meter. After about five minutes, with the green indicating full charge that whole time,, it starts ramping down as indicated only by my Wh meter on the AC input, since no current bar-graph LED's are lit. At no time during the charge does the 80% LED come on.

I explained all of this to Zero and they said it was OK, they are aware (as I said earlier). They think that Delta-Q has set the full charge indicator to come on at 90% so it stays on high charge current for awhile.

The chargers on my earlier bikes followed the published LED indicator sequence.

Has anyone else observed this change in the chargers LED patterns?

BTW- The paperwork that came with the charger said it was algorithm #99, 48v output, lead acid. The label on the charger said 96v output, lead acid battery. Zero said that was OK and to use it and it worked, but with the odd LED sequence I reported. I notice that your paperwork says algorithm 123, Emoli, Li ion. Very strange stuff!

I measured my battery no load voltage, after the charge ended, and it read 113v so it doesn't seem to have overcharged my battery but the label and the incorrect paper are worrisome.

Trikester
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:52:24 AM by trikester »

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »

I never watched the charger during charging and I have installed it in the GIVI Box so it is not easy to see the LEDs.

When I got the chargers I checked the algorithm setting and it was 123!

I use the additional charger very seldom, but I should try to monitor it once.

As much as I know there exist a SW and adapter to reprogram the Delta-Qs. I will ask my dealer what he knows. (I don't need it but maybe in some years I will sweep my batteries and it would be nice to adapt the charger.)

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 10:49:35 AM »

Yes, Zero eng told me I would need the Delta-Q programmer to actually change it.

When I followed the algorithm check as described I got: 9 + 9 then a pause and then 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 I don't remember which. I don't know how to interpret that last group. To me, seeing the 9 + 9 would indicate that the algorithm was the 99 it said on the paperwork. Do you see 1 flash (pause) 2 flashes (pause) 3 flashes, for the 123 algorithm?

Despite all of the assurances from Zero, I'm still a little worried that my charger doesn't have the correct programming. Why would it say "lead acid" if it had the correct algorithm for Li ion? However, if it is constant current / voltage clamped it should work for either as long as the clamping voltage was correct for either.

Trikester

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »

Do you see 1 flash (pause) 2 flashes (pause) 3 flashes, for the 123 algorithm?

I am not 100% sure it was in July 2012 but I believe it was so.

I think we have a different SW on the Delta-Q but the Algorithm we use is very simple 10A constant till we reach cut off voltage and than reduced current to hold the voltage.

When did you get your charger?

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »

When did you get your charger?

Last week along with the FX Powertrain kit. I also got the adapter to plug the charger directly into the battery connector, so I did the charging on my bench. The battery seemed to charge properly even though the LED's made it look like it wasn't being done right.

Trikester

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »

So mine is older, hope it will be ok for my battery.

If you like post your paper too, so people find old and new at the same place.

Hope we will see soon some photos of your project, I would really like to test ride one of your trikes it seams to be the right way to build it.

Thomas
Pages: [1]