• April 29, 2024, 04:13:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2011 Zero performance settings  (Read 3367 times)

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
Re: 2011 Zero performance settings
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 12:47:30 AM »

totally unfamiliar with CAN bus or anything similar.  trying to decipher practical implications of your post.  is it the case, for example, that if i knew which physical port to connect to (2012), and it's pinout, and, for example, it's baud rate, that i could simply send those command pairs over in sequence, i.e.

set
peak
lowsp
...etc

to configure the race mode you created?

any additional info would be appreciated, and likely productive with respect to my previously stated goal.

This is for 2011 models only. and yes that would be the case for a 2011 model

i've done a fair amount of hobbiest specialty device building based primarily on arduino and arduino-like controllers, all for my own use (home irrigation controller, entertainment system controller, thermostats, etc).  i'd really be interested in building such a bike interface myself.  however, of course i lack enough knowledge of the bike's design, and the communication system/protocols.  not sure where to look to learn.

Where do you live?

Electric Cowboy
Thank you for the information.  I've done many a CAN and 232 (actually K-Line but the handler is the same for 232) preprogramming interfaces.  My interest was in the bike's control structure; that is, what elements reside on which boards and such.  Apparently Zero is supporting access to some of these values via smartphone applications and blue tooth for the MY13s so I will probably wait a few months for the new bike to show up and not muck with my MY12.

Mine was more a curiosity about how Zero is managing the motor and pack.  I thought I read on another thread that current inrush for acceleration was managed by the "ECU" which I assumed was the CAN reflashable normal ICE motorcycle looking bit under the seat.  I got the impression that the speed controller CAN based flashing was either passed through the "ECU" or was simply another node on the CAN bus (along with the "ECU").  Do you have any description on the command set for 232 based altering of the MBB?

I love to read about your exploits (along with those of Doctorbass) and am willing to chip in on the design side if it would be of any help.  The benifit of being retired is that I have a lot of spare time.

Thank you, I will keep that in mind :)

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 09:33:35 AM »

This is for 2011 models only. and yes that would be the case for a 2011 model

neato.  thanks.

Where do you live?

grand junction, co

and today i find this interesting bit:
http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/arduino-canbus-shield-with-usd-card-holder-p-706.html

:)
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 11:39:25 AM »

Hello Brandon,
Could you  post complete information for people that want to change some setting on their  MBB with the RS-232 ( for the Zero 2011)?

Normal USB to 232 cable adaptor?
Where do you connect it ? is it on the OBDII CAN high and CAN low pins? for the TX and RX fo the 232?.. Are the voltage compatible?
9600 baud on the hyper terminal?

Please post all steps and all required proper equipment ( ex: serial cable with usb adapter, a PC with a hypertewrminal?... etc)

and if possible pictured or a demo video.. etc...

Also what is your tool you sell  200$  for doing that? Is it only for people that have a smartphone?.. I would do it with my small laptop so it would be USB to ?? 232?

Big Thanks!

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 08:30:33 PM »

Hey Brandon,

I might have some niumbers that will be interesting you ;)

Yesterday i reprogrammed succesfully my DS 2011 using a OLIVE DTFI usb to 232 ( 3.3V) interface and Teraterm.

I have put all the numbers of the RACE MODE that you posted plus all temp stage setting with 20 degree lower to protect the motor from melting.

Now here is the difference in numbers:

Before the mod:
Max battery amp: 390A
Max KW power from the battery: 18kW

After the mod:
Max battery amp: 475A
Max KW power from the battery: 22kW

The major diference in acceleration is starting at about 10km/h and more. I really see a difference but light but enough to say it worth keeping these parameters.

The powerband is a bit better and the acceleration above 90km/h is significantly better too

I did not monitored the motor current but i monitored the battery current.

The difference is about 4kW ( about 5hp).

I tried to find the max speed setting but it seem that it is already set to 100%. I think it was "maxmph"

The max speed i have got from now  on the highway ( flat no hill) is 119km/h  but average is about 110 with some front wind and as low as 95km/h with heavy front wind. This was befor ethe RACE mod setting applied. but  with the RACE SETTING, the re is no change in speed.

Doc

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon
Pages: 1 [2]