• April 29, 2024, 11:19:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Got to ride a Verge TS today  (Read 2112 times)

Fred

• View Profile
Got to ride a Verge TS today
« on: April 29, 2022, 09:48:28 PM »

I spent the day at Fully Charged Live today. The main reason I wanted to go was to see the Verge TS - which in my opinion is the most interesting not-yet-release electric bike out there. I only had a quick 10 minute ride at sensible speeds just up and down a road outside the airfield where it's held, so far from a full-on road test. However, here are a few thoughts.

So, this isn't a bit of vapourware like some other bikes we hear a lot about. I rode it. It exists.  Spencer from Verge was nice enough to grab a quick video and this is me on a real road registered bike - with Finnish plates of course. The unique hubless wheel motor works. I didn't give it load of throttle and it was in eco mode, but power felt in Zero territory if perhaps a little highly geared. Regen seemed to be set fairly high and worked well. Some minor "grumbling" from the motor under braking whish I was assured was due to magent alignment rather than anything mechanical. There are apparenelt two very large bearings in there. I would worry about longevity of those considering their large diameter and hence linear speed. Time will tell.

I didn't ride it far or fast but my initial impression was the there was a lot of oversteer at low speed. I had to keep a fair bit of pressure on the inside bar. Maybe this was down to the rake fo the front forks. Maybe it was down to the rear tyre sitting on a very wide rim and seeming quite square in profile. Maybe it just needed more getting used to. I wasn't keen on the low speed handling of the Energice Eva Ribelle either (and prefe the Zero SR/F) so make of that what you will.

I didn't touch the rear brake on the left hand bar but the large rotor with the caliper inside should be up to the job. Personally I prefer a right foot rear brake, but with no foot controls at all the Verge has two sets of rider pegs. I can't imagine I'd ever want to use the Harley-style forward ones. I didn't spot any any pilion pegs but there seems to be a pillion seat, so I'm sure there will be.

The bike I rode was apparently an earlyish prototype that had a lot of use and dodgy head bearings. It did feel a little rough around the edges. Even with that in mind, I can well believe that Verge are only weeks away from production.

To sum it up, they have definitely built something unique and amazing. I can't imagine parking this anywhere with bikers around and not being trapped by 15 minutes of questions. The low speed handling wasn't to my liking. I suspect the price won't be either. However, for a small Finnish company to produce something like this is astounding. It makes everyone else look ordinary. C'mon Zero and Energica. Time to up your game!
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

itisempty

• View Profile
Re: Got to ride a Verge TS today
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 03:16:37 AM »

Thank you for posting this. Sorry I didn't notice this earlier. Well done on the review.

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 03:11:21 AM »

Got an email from them today stating deliveries will be Q2-24, The one I was interested in goes for 40,000 USD, Think I'll Pass

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 05:46:25 AM »

29 blue-loctited bolts have to be removed so you can change the rear tire. And the phase leads remain totally exposed to things like road debris.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 11:32:43 AM »

This would be the time for the fix a flat or that other stuff in the tire  or one of those hard rubber solid tires.  UGH, not something you will change on the road.

Aaron

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 02:27:27 PM »

The 29 blue loct-tited bolts just remove the metal sleeve the tire is affixed to. Once you get that off god only knows how to actually change the tire from there.
Pages: [1]