• April 29, 2024, 03:32:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero lands deal of 59 bikes for Hong Kong police  (Read 1214 times)

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
Zero lands deal of 59 bikes for Hong Kong police
« on: May 17, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »

now, next week I am again in Hong Kong. always meant to see the BRammo bikes that they had sitting with a distributor for a couple of years now.
and today, Zero Germany (all in German) shares that they landed a big fleet deal. in fact the biggest Zero fleet deal in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong went through a selection/tendering process. Would love to know how participated. Considering the strong chinese EV market - but then the selection really shows that not many are up to quality and performance.

Congrats Zero.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151612246854932.1073741826.125511504931&type=1
(in German)

now u don't hear them coming in Hong Kong. guess need to be careful or get one as well while over. For anyone that knows Hong Kong - it had has amazing hills - these I want to see a Zero take - and the remaining charge ....

edit - moved to "news" as is more appropriate place.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 06:18:37 PM by manlytom »
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Zero lands deal of 59 bikes for Hong Kong police
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »

Brammo isn't going to be happy about that.  For the past couple of years they seemed to have had the Hong Kong police market tied-up (with their Enertia model) - with the help of Jackie Chan.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 05:44:52 AM »

Brammo isn't going to be happy about that.  For the past couple of years they seemed to have had the Hong Kong police market tied-up (with their Enertia model) - with the help of Jackie Chan.
I kept searching for the Brammo's every time when I was in Hong Kong. Scouted out the distributor even. For some reason it never went beyond showing prototypes. Now they new Brammo Empulse is not really a utility bike one can sell for fleet use. Guess the best Brammo has is the Enertia plus.
For an EV manufacturer to survive fleet deals might just be the bread and butter they need.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 06:16:58 AM »

I kept searching for the Brammo's every time when I was in Hong Kong. Scouted out the distributor even. For some reason it never went beyond showing prototypes. Now they new Brammo Empulse is not really a utility bike one can sell for fleet use. Guess the best Brammo has is the Enertia plus.
For an EV manufacturer to survive fleet deals might just be the bread and butter they need.

As I've been saying, Brammo was stupid for spending so much money on racing and booth babes instead of R&D against a sound product marketing strategy like Zero's. Now Brammp is effectively a one product company after putting all its eggs in the "Electric that's kinda like an ICE sport bike but with less range and more expensive" basket. Good luck with that. This deal is another nail in Brammo's coffin.

Well played, Zero.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »

I think this was more about cleaning out excess product inventory rather than a "sound product marketing strategy". Zero certainly didn't spin up their 2012 manufacturing line for HKPD.

Brammo does have an LE version of both of their bikes. I imagine both the Brammo and Zero LE bikes are a pretty penny over the base bike cost.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 08:30:44 AM »

I think this was more about cleaning out excess product inventory rather than a "sound product marketing strategy". Zero certainly didn't spin up their 2012 manufacturing line for HKPD.

Brammo does have an LE version of both of their bikes. I imagine both the Brammo and Zero LE bikes are a pretty penny over the base bike cost.

No. Zero got the real HKPD deal vs the marketing deal because Zero made a better product vs BS.

Brammo is 80% BS and 20% product and Zero is 99% product and 1% BS.

That's why Brammo is screwed.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 12:02:32 PM »

Which explains why the HKPD deal was 2012 bikes and not 2013? Obviously Zero didn't make 59 new bikes on an assembly line that got shuttered probably nine months ago.. I bet HKPD got a sweet deal.

I'll take my nerd points now, thanks.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 08:16:24 PM »

I have to agree with Protomech about the HKPD purchase.  I figure that Zero really needed to clean out their unsold 2012 models from their warehouse and you know how the Chinese like a good deal.   ;)  Plus, it gives Zero a good way to penetrate the Chinese market and get their name and motorcycles into the public's attention.  The police get around town and into the pubic eye a lot more than any other person or organization would.  It was likely a win-win solution for both Zero and Hong Kong.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]