• April 28, 2024, 11:32:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero motorcycle support  (Read 3622 times)

Whit

• View Profile
Re: Zero motorcycle support
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 11:57:39 PM »

It's either 69.7 or 83.3--can't get a solid reading.

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 04:17:57 AM »

If it's a 2011 it should be more like 56-58V. Your multimeter might need new batteries.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

Whit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 02:23:04 AM »

I've got a bad feeling about this.  I have been unable to get anyone at Zero on the phone this week.  I guess I've called every other day, a couple times, and several times today.  The bike would not turn on today, not even the LCD display, and I'm getting two then four red flashes on the gauge display, which means BMS throttle disable.  The manual says contact Zero or CSC.  Anyone have any ideas?  I replaced the battery on my voltmeter (thanks for telling me that--the low battery indicator came on the next time I used it) and the voltage is 53.6.

Thanks for any help you can give--I wish the company would step up on this.

Whit

craigq

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 02:50:45 AM »

I'm getting two then four red flashes on the gauge display

That's what I'm getting for an error code too! I wonder what the failure rate statistics is on Zero's so far... Good luck with getting a response.
bikeless

Whit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 03:50:11 AM »

I got an email that they would call me in a few minutes.  Of course that email was sent over an hour ago...hopefully I won't be waiting by the phone all afternoon for nothing.  I'll keep you posted.

Whit

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »

They needed the serial number from the battery.  I assume that the defective board is a problem on my power pack as well.  I've got <100 miles on the bike and its been dead for three of the four weeks I've owned it.  Now I get no response to emails from the weekend or today.

Is this just typical for zero motorcycles?  Are the other companies this indifferent to their warranties as well?  If I handled my customers complaints this way, I'd have no customers pretty quickly.

Just ranting now.  Very frustrating, and I wish I could just send the bike back where it came from.  This thing should not have left the factory.  It should call into question their quality control on current bikes as well.  I'm not trying to smear them, but I wouldn't wish this experience on anybody.   As bad as I feel about my situation, I'd be devastated if I'd spent about $14k on this thing.  I had considered ponying up for a new model, but after this I just can't take that risk.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »

My guess would be that Zero's engineers are trying to figure out what the problem is and are reluctant to contact you until they have come up with a solution.  That is not what I would do with a customer complaint.  I would at least respond back that we received your message and are still working on the problem.

But then I am not in the manufacturing business.  Perhaps not responding to customer complaints is standard practice in the industry.  It certainly is the way BMW and Honda (to name two motorcycle manufacturers) deal with customer complaints.  They respond quickly to their franchised dealer's concerns, but they ignore the customers who bought their products and let the retail dealer handle that part of the business.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Whit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 07:36:32 AM »

Well it's been a month now since the battery went out.  I've been told that they are looking for another but will most likely have to build one.  Not a whole lot of 2011 motorcycle parts lying around I'm sure.  I've got the feeling that although they have been very polite about it, this isnt really a priority.  I'm still hoping that they can make this right--soon.

Just thought I'd give an update. 

Rewski

• View Profile
Zero motorcycle support
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2013, 11:03:01 AM »

Well it's been a month now since the battery went out.  I've been told that they are looking for another but will most likely have to build one.  Not a whole lot of 2011 motorcycle parts lying around I'm sure.  I've got the feeling that although they have been very polite about it, this isnt really a priority.  I'm still hoping that they can make this right--soon.

Just thought I'd give an update.

Hang in there. The same thing happened to me after I ran into issues with my original 2010 DS. They eventually swapped it out with a dealer demo 2011 DS with only 37 miles. I drove that one home and it also was not acting right. Last fall Zero built a brand new pack from scratch and got it installed on my bike. Has worked flawlessly ever since...well until I tore my patellar tendon and have not been able to ride it yet this season!

Zero.DS.Sweden

• View Profile
Zero motorcycle support
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2013, 02:11:30 PM »

My DS 2010 got the same problem last week. 10x red flashes on warning indicator and dashboard black. Does not run. Any ideas what it can be? Fuse?

pres68y

• 2013 MX -setup for only Flat Track.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 02:10:53 AM »

I didn't get a manual but I got a couple of sheets with some algorithm changing info and the description of the LED charging indications (which it doesn't follow at all, and Zero is aware of the discrepancy).

Even though it shouldn't make a difference, I will be more comfortable by connecting the battery first and then the AC power. I'm more comfortable because normally, with the built-in charger it is always connected to the battery when ever the AC is applied. So I will duplicate, when using the external charger, what the charger in the bike sees.

Trikester
We have a 2013MX and I realize that this is a 2012 forum. However, our machine only has an external charger and this question seemed relevant.
FWIW: We found out (the hard way... as usual) that the only consistent charging occurred if we plugged in the charger to battery connection first... then to the 120vac. Perhaps the Delta-Q charger determines the battery status first then enables the appropriate charging after the 120vac input is available.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 09:39:24 AM »

I think that the battery disconnect prevents voltage appearing at the charger socket contacts until the charger is energized and signals the battery to turn on. Therefore, it would make no difference if the battery was connected first since there wouldn't be any voltage present at the connector. I'll check that with a voltmeter to see if that is correct.

The reason I think this is: I sent a question to Zero as to why my external charger, when charging my 2013FX, starts flashing the "low voltage" red LED signal a little while after it has completed charging. The answer from Zero was: A short period of time delay after completion of charge, the battery contactor disconnects the charger and therefore the charger sees no voltage at the connector (open connection) and flashes the low voltage @ battery (two red flashes) indication.

Trikester

oregonrider89

• Motorcycles: 2017 FX, 2015 SR, 1995 BMW GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 10:11:42 AM »

I have a 2010 DS with about 10k miles. I bought it in September 2011.

My speedometer stopped working at ~6000 miles (about 10 months ago). Zero support has been very good about responding to my issues. There is no dealer nearby so all the replacement parts have been installed by me. I have replaced:
front speed sensor (X3)
Instrument panel
Battery, yes battery (they had to make me a new one and that took four months. They don't have a lot of the old 4 kW packs lying around!)

Recently I had the power cut off occur twice and they said it was the potentiometer in the throttle so I will have to replace that. Last week I had another issue which service said was the brushes in the motor so I will probably be replacing those soon.

The bottom line is that Zero has been great to me. All my correspondence has been via email and Zero is pretty responsive. I recommend using email when attempting to get the attention of service.

Zero has provided all the parts and shipping at no cost to me and I am out of warranty so their obligation to this consumer has been fulfilled...although it could be argued that the issues I have now are related to the original issues. Even with all the problems I have experienced I have nothing but love for that damn motorcycle. I feel that being an early adopter comes with increased risk and Zero has done everything they can to keep the project running.

I would not, however, drop $15k on a new one until I get 20k trouble-free miles off the 2010 DS.

nigezero

• View Profile
Zero motorcycle support
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 06:53:28 PM »

I've got a 2010DS too. 1600kms. Brushes failed at 1000km but Zero were great and helped out with a motor and advice. Still no go - throttle failure which they also helped with. I suspect transients from the motor took it out. I'm also suspicious about the contactor but so far so good; almost 700d since rebuilt
Pages: 1 [2]