• April 27, 2024, 09:35:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero S statistics  (Read 1976 times)

evrolix

• View Profile
Zero S statistics
« on: June 12, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »

Hello,
I am the proud owner of a S 8.5 since 2 weeks : great bike!
I had some experience with a Honda CBR 600RR but the Zero S has it all: torque is incredible, swiftness in traffic, very cheap in maintaining, great fun factor overall while remaining very practical!

I was wondering if someone looked into getting statistics from the bike. I know about the phone app, but as far as I see this shows you only the last trip, nothing from the past and no info from during the ride.
The logs that you can mail from within the app are encrypted...

Thanks, and keep on riding!
Erik

vchampain

• View Profile
Re: Zero S statistics
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:52:09 AM »

You're right. It would be great if Zero could let us access our own data ! They would probably get free PR/web presence out of it...

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:10:12 AM »

My other motorcycle is a Gixxer 1000 and I too was impressed with the Zero S torque and off-the-line acceleration. The Zero is a much better city bike than the Gixxer...light, maneuverable, and expecially fast off the line. And in this Texas summer heat, ICE bikes run very hot which can't be good for them and you feel the engine heat too, but the Zero is happy to just wait at lights or creep along in 95 F temps. Moreover, I don't know about your 600, but with my Gixxer below 11 mph, in 1st gear you need to be either accelerating or applying the clutch cause below that is too slow for the big bike.

The bigger battery would be a trade-off for sure. I too have the 8.5 battery. Longer range, but more weight is not a good trade-off for me. On my other bikes the choice was to trade weight for performance. A person really needs to determine their range needs before buying I think. For me, the range is more than adequate and the lighter weight is much better. Although I programmed the eco mode for the best possible range with lower torque and max regeneration and 60 mph max, I really don't use that mode. To me, the Zero is a performance bike more than a commuter or energy saver.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:22:09 AM »

Some of us keep track of our stats, but I agree.  If zero would allow us to access the historical data directly from a USB port on the bike, or via the app, that would be epic!

Here is my data:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al1C9ABaL4hBdDVZT3UzNUtVTmhrT3Exa2NSTXNZclE#gid=0

I know others have tracked theirs even more carefully than I have.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:54:53 AM »

I signed in to my Google account but it said I didn't have permission to access your site.

Trikester

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 09:44:46 PM »

So here is a question for you all.... what statistics would you most like to see and track and what would you do with them?

You'll see in my Zero DS performance log what I track.  Some of this is based on what I know many of you are tracking. I also use it to validate the app's accuracy.

Regards,
Aaron
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles
Director of Customer Experience

2018 Zero DSR + 6kW Charge Tank
2016 Zero FXS
2015 Zero DS + 2.5 kW Charge Tank
2014 Zero SR + Power Tank
2013 Zero DS ZF11.4, Zero FX ZF5.7 and Zero XU 2.8
2007 Yamaha V Star

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 10:38:48 PM »

I'd like to be able to log:

* cell temp - monitor whether parking in the sun is okay, when the batteries can be gently charged
* pack voltage - monitor cold temperature performance, voltage sag under load
* cell voltage - track balancing, identify weak cells
* bike speed or motor RPM - useful for estimating range
* estimated SOC, battery capacity - useful for estimating range, tracking degradation over time
* motor and controller temps - track overtemp conditions, possibly experiment with better cooling
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 10:50:26 PM »

I'm not sure what stats can be recorded, but I might like to know estimated miles remaining to full battery depletion based on battery use for the trip to current time and current state of charge, highest speed attained, av. speed, elapsed time since the system as booted, instantaneous torque readings. I would settle for a clock instead of the rpm readout though. I would think knowing the exact status of your remaining battery is the most critical thing for most people. Right now, I can only estimate the last 5 miles or so. 

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 01:22:45 AM »

I would think knowing the exact status of your remaining battery is the most critical thing for most people. Right now, I can only estimate the last 5 miles or so. 

I'm starting to think that there's an effective rule of thumb for this. Here's my thought: use the ranges specified in the official manual for your specific bike configuration, then divide by the number of visible battery gauge bars for each range (leaving the reserve out of the question for normal situations).

For my DS 11.4, that means a maximum of 126 and a minimum of 76 miles (for 55mph or maybe a higher speed if I'm crouched all the way over the "tank"), then dividing that by 11 bars yields a rough idea of 11 to 7 miles per bar. So, I can use each increment differently but I basically just multiply the number of bars remaining by the general range I expect depending on the speed I'm going. So, 5 bars could be 55 miles if I absolutely need that range and can compromise on speed, or 35 miles if I'm stuck with the highway and it's not congested.

In my mind, that's been a pretty useful way to think about remaining range. Maybe we can refine this and add it to an end-user's guide.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 01:44:20 AM »

That's close. I'm not sure I get quite as much mileage out of the first bar as the lower ones. Maybe all those electrons being used up lightens the load...or maybe I just start sweating thinking I will run out of battery and the water loss gives me more mileage. LOL. One thing is for sure, if you find yourself down to a battery level where getting home is iffy, if you slow way down, you can get phenomenal mileage. I can get 10 miles per bar if I only go 25 mph. Creeping along is so much better than pushing. I'm used to e-bikes and their ranges, but there I do just the opposite since I have pedals for backup. On an e-bike I get my exercise first and use little battery, then use the battery to get home after I'm tired. On the Zero, I start out fast and end up going slow on the return trip if I need to. Just before my e-bike Li batteries die, the bike slows noticeably, maybe with a mile or so of range left. I wonder if the Zero does that too? If so, I've never experienced that. Again, it sure would be nice to know exactly when the Zero will stop running.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 03:20:27 AM »

Important Note:

This range estimation rule is way more precise than my gas bike's range estimation, where it has five bars and I have a reasonable idea of how many gallons remain on the last two bars and the reserve flasher, and then have to work out what my mileage might allow and also figure in the fuel pump safety factor because the gas cools the pump. This is on a very modern bike where I might get 300 miles on a tank, but I still have to kind of work it out in my head to be safe.

YUCK. Battery estimation is honestly easier than gas management. We just get jumpy because being fully discharged is too serious if we're far from home.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

evrolix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 06:57:09 PM »

To answer the values I would like to see afterwards : average speed, top speed, KMs driven, speed per km, battery usage during that trip and why not the map, the phone has GPS chip inside, that can be used
If there are any runners out there; Nike Plus is what I have in mind. For the non-runners: check out the Nike website pls :)

As to the discussion on how far can you drive on an empty battery? Well, firsthand experience : not very far. :) If you drive at normal speed that is. I made the mistake to take of after 1 hr charging (3 bars left) , and 5 km later the last bar was already blinking again. Then I slowed down and indeed, I got home without pushing!

Pages: [1]