• April 29, 2024, 01:50:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Justin's Elcon  (Read 3288 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Justin's Elcon
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 06:23:33 PM »

For the 2014+ bikes you have to key the bike on, turn the resistor circuit on and start charging then turn the bike off.
Good to see that you don't need to mod it any more, just start it up and wait for the clicketyclick. It is sometimes hard to track al those minor differences for each year.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 01:31:22 AM »

Bonkers on a 2013 bike you need a 100k Resistor between B+ and the white black stripe wire at 3J on my wire diagram (click link in signature to find this)

If there is residual voltage in the controller this will close the contactor and put it into charging mode. If there isn't residual voltage then power the bike on for a second, then turn it off, and switch the resistor circuit on and listen for the contactor. Be sure to make this a switching circuit as you don't want it on all the time.

For the 2014+ bikes you have to key the bike on, turn the resistor circuit on and start charging then turn the bike off.

Come to think of it, for the 2013, if you install say a Super Charger to charge through the controller, does that mean tapping onto B+ and B-, then, rather than the M contacts? In which case I can see how it would work with the contactors and not depend on regen.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 05:15:36 AM »

Good god I hate the sound of my voice...  :-X

Normally I can get the Anderson in a bit quicker, but you know performance pressures... ;)
Good to know its in a bit better a location on the later bikes all the same.

I don't have to tell everyone here that a charger like the Elcon really transforms the bike, either when your out and about, or if you suddenly need the bike when at home, and you need to get the charge up on the bike in short order...

Right now, I'm putting money together to get the Diginow supercharger, as I'm totally onboard with the need for fast charging tech.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »

That's refreshing Justin, most people seem to love the sound of their own voice! We are often our own harshest critics. I thought you came across really well. [emoji4]

Won't you be able to use your cables with the Diginow by the way?

Hopefully this topic will help you sell your Elcon when the time comes. It'll be useful with your new bike until you get the Diginow at least.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 05:21:24 AM »

Sounds like Burton is the one with the knowledge! I've gotten it to work, will chalk it up to accidentally stumbling on how to initiate it.

Er, since this topic came up, I decided to retest it and my observations were not invalid:

I can repeatably get the Elcon to start charging the bike without ever plugging in the onboard charger. Now, this may be specific to the model year (2013) or having the pilot signal wire connected through the Anderson connector, but this works for me.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 05:42:38 AM »

Cheers for that info Brian.  ;D
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 11:45:25 PM »

A quick bump to this topic because I want to double check something. With the installation of my aux charger drawing nearer I'm feeling a bit lost in al the information on the forum.

I'm dealing with a 2015 DS and are having a bit of trouble with visualizing where the 100k resistor goes exactly. The fact that my bike is in the shop also doesn't help since I can't test things for myself.

Anyway to trick the bike to allow fast charging you need to put in contact to let the contactors engage but after that you need the 100k resistor to fool the canbus and keep them engaged right? So is it just a matter of wiring the resistor to the two connectors I circled in Burtons' diagram?

Some clarification would be really appreciated.
Pages: 1 [2]