• April 28, 2024, 04:06:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: TORQUE OR SPEED MODE on zero MBB setting  (Read 2979 times)

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
TORQUE OR SPEED MODE on zero MBB setting
« on: May 21, 2013, 11:23:09 AM »

Today i playes again with the setting on the MBB of my zero to learn what each of them is really affecting the zero performances and how.

I remarked that the stock mode of the zero os TORQUE ( same feeling like the ICE give)  I have observed that this setting is also adding a  delay on the throttle response wich is also something that some people that i talked to and that had tried the MX and X zero complained about.

I changed the setting to SPEED mode instead of TORQUE mode. the throttle response was nearly instantanous !! really quick response !! just like we like !   , but the disadvantage is that it is really difficult to control the acceleration  .. and more at low speed. this is because in speed mode the controller receive very high current until it reahc the desired speed set by the throttle. it's like WOT intul it reach the speed set by the throttle position...

I found the best trade off to be the mode called BOTH.... or "TORQUE and SPEED".. wich is a mix of TORQUE and SPEED.

So for all of you that have a 2010, 2011  and that want to reduce that delay on the throttle response, this is a great solution!..

See picture below

Doc
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:15:45 AM by Doctorbass »
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

BSDThw

• View Profile
Re: TORQUE OR SPEED MODE on zero MBB setting
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 09:50:20 PM »

Nice, but for the 2012 - 13 I believe it won't work.

As much as I see the throttle is direct to the sevcon, the throttle setting are done in the sevcon, a Torque vs speed mode is adjustable at the sevcon settings.
BUT SEVCON SAYS
Speed mode (or speed control) is not recommended for on-highway vehicles as it can cause the
traction motor/wheel to remain locked or brake severely if the wheel is momentarily locked due
to loss of traction on a slippery surface and/or mechanical braking.

I never tried speed mode by myself.

There is a connection from throttle to MBB but I guess it is used to enable the "forward" input to the sevcon.
Zero use this input to stop the engine (side stand, main on/off, and it will only come up it you apply the throttle a bit).
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

baumisch

• EV - EREV - PEDELEC Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 05:51:25 AM »

Can someone give me a link in the forum or inet where I can learn about how to connect to the sevcon controller and see/modify those settings seen in the first post?
2011 GreenMover  MTB - 0,25 KW - 0,3 kwH - 27+ km/h - 2.100km
2012 Zero S ZF9 - 9 KW - 9kwH - 140 km/h - 6.200km
2013 Opel Ampera - 111 KW - 16/10 kwH - 160km/h - 55.500km
2015 Tesla Model S P85 - 306 KW - 85 kwH - 210km/h

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »

For the 2012 I guess?

You need the Software but the most problem is it works only with one CAN to USB dongle. It is the IXXAT and theirs special library.
The Dongle is about 200-270€. I was lucky to get one at eBay for 80€.

If you think to get better performance I have to disappoint you, the Sevcon is setup to it's limits. If you like to do some special mods like me. Have a Re-gen Brake with a clutch lever a revers switch... so it will be worth buying.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

baumisch

• EV - EREV - PEDELEC Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 08:20:45 PM »

Ohkay, I understand - thank you for the explanation.
I'll save my money for the sevcon 6 next year :)
2011 GreenMover  MTB - 0,25 KW - 0,3 kwH - 27+ km/h - 2.100km
2012 Zero S ZF9 - 9 KW - 9kwH - 140 km/h - 6.200km
2013 Opel Ampera - 111 KW - 16/10 kwH - 160km/h - 55.500km
2015 Tesla Model S P85 - 306 KW - 85 kwH - 210km/h

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 11:00:21 AM »

Today i playes again with the setting on the MBB of my zero to learn what each of them is really affecting the zero performances and how.

I remarked that the stock mode of the zero os TORQUE ( same feeling like the ICE give)  I have observed that this setting is also adding a  delay on the throttle response wich is also something that some people that i talked to and that had tried the MX and X zero complained about.

I changed the setting to SPEED mode instead of TORQUE mode. the throttle response was nearly instantanous !! really quick response !! just like we like !   , but the disadvantage is that it is really difficult to control the acceleration  .. and more at low speed. this is because in speed mode the controller receive very high current until it reahc the desired speed set by the throttle. it's like WOT intul it reach the speed set by the throttle position...

I found the best trade off to be the mode called BOTH.... or "TORQUE and SPEED".. wich is a mix of TORQUE and SPEED.

So for all of you that have a 2010, 2011  and that want to reduce that delay on the throttle response, this is a great solution!..

See picture below

Doc

great - sounds promising. Now, how do we get to that screen ? I have looked about and not seen steps or details on how to get into the MBB to change settings.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto
Pages: [1]