• April 29, 2024, 10:42:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Vectrix, what happened?  (Read 5160 times)

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Vectrix, what happened?
« on: July 16, 2009, 02:19:22 AM »

I guess they are not bankrupt for the next 30 days but they did let go of most of the staff...

http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=980

Curious on everyone's thoughts on what they did wrong.  Was the market not there for scooters? Did they not target the right customers? Were there not enough happy customers to spread the word? Are gas powered scooters too fuel efficient to be replaced by existing electric technology? Was the business structured inefficiently?

The scariest question, is the market demand not strong enough for electric two wheeler businesses to profit?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:23:55 AM by skadamo »

guity

• View Profile
Re: Vectrix, what happened?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:04:44 AM »

When I went to see/ride the Vectrix, it was a $12,000 400-pound bohemoth with lead batteries and a speed limit of 55.  They promised they were going to start using lithium batteries in a year, but I never checked back.  I wonder how many people are of the scooter-riding variety of motorcyclists who are willing to pay lots of extra money for an environmentally friendly (but inherently more dangerous) ride?  Like Neal Saiki of Zero told Jay Leno, the things have to be fun to drive in order to get people to buy them.  Looks like the Vectrix wasn't fun enough...

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:08:42 AM »

their later models moved to Nickel Metal Hydride.
Travis

drivin98

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:38:01 PM »

The first, and really the only Vectrix model, the VX-1 was always nickel metal hydride battery-powered. Their 2 newer, lower cost models were lead acid but they never made it to market.

What happened to Vectrix is the same thing that happens to a lot of new companies. They crawled out a little far on a branch and the economy sawed it off. They had an aggressive expansion plan which seemed to be going decently but then the markets tanked and consumers got scared and the price of gas plummeted. They had a lot of overhead and sales practically dried up. I'm not sure how much they spent developing the new models with the lead acid batteries but in my opinion that whole backwards-looking battery tech shift was a huge mistake.  They range on the regular Vectrix was barely adequate and even if the VX-1e was $1,500 cheaper, it wasn't good enough. If anything, they should have developed the sport bike that everyone agreed was amazingly beautiful using lithium, though the recession might still have bitten them.

The silver lining for people who like the VX-1 is that there are some nice scooters kicking around on eBay for a much more palatable price. I think I saw one for $3,000.

picasso

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 06:30:15 AM »

Wow at those prices it sure is tempting to get it for the parts.

guity

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 12:48:58 AM »

Sorry, when I saw the Vectrix, it had nickel metal hydride batteries, as opposed to lead.  I am not well enough educated in this field to differentiate.  The best I was able to do was realize that they weren't lithium, and after that it was all the same to me...

Brammofan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 07:46:04 PM »

David Herron (moderator of visforvoltage forum, and now a writer for examiner.com) did a great 3 part series on the impending bankruptcy:
Why Vectrix is teetering on bankruptcy, pt. I
Why Vectrix is teetering on bankruptcy, pt. II
Why Vectrix is teetering on bankruptcy, pt. III
2010 Brammo Enertia

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 12:00:10 PM »

Yeah, thanks for posting those. Lots of great information. Your finding your way around BB code pretty well now BrammoFan! :D

gogreenmoto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 10:38:07 PM »

I actually participated in a photoshoot with a Vetrix in 2007, before Leonardo DiCaprio got his (I hear). Anyway, talk about a behemoth! Yeah, no kidding. It took two vetrix employees to move the thing around for the shoot because it was so big and cumbersome. We never got to ride it because there was some issue with the liability insurance. Anyway, nothing about it seemed fun.

Thanks for the article links Brammofan!
Pages: [1]