• April 27, 2024, 07:11:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thoughts on 2013 Zero S gearing options: Torque or Speed?  (Read 4355 times)

SK

• View Profile
Thoughts on 2013 Zero S gearing options: Torque or Speed?
« on: August 24, 2013, 11:51:04 PM »

Just wondering whether anyone has any thoughts on, or has done the gearing conversion on a 2013 Zero S? I weigh about 240(lbs) and I am thinking that my 2013 Zero S would be more nimble & fun if I change the front sprocket with the OEM Higher Torque Gearing Option available from Zero. The ad says that the top speed is reduced to 82-84 Mph from 95. I love riding non-highway roads and always choose them instead of highway if I am not short of time. My daily commute does not involve any highway travel.  While I don't like to drive the highway on a motorcycle, I sometimes do, and my top speed has never needed to be anywhere near that top speed of 95. In fact the only time I went that fast was to verify what happens at 95 MPH. (It just pegs exactly at that speed). I think his mod would change the sustainable speed (without overheating and speed being automatically adjusted downward) to around 73.

I think it is a good trade-off to gain 38 foot pounds of torque in exchange for the loss of 12 MPH that I do not use.  8) The part is only $30 bucks but it may or may not be a lot of work to make the modification. I have not really fully evaluated all that I would need to do to change that part out.

Does anyone have any thoughts or discussion on these points?

SK

spelunker

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on 2013 Zero S gearing options: Torque or Speed?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 02:21:03 AM »

Seems to me that your range will be a little less.  That would be a deal breaker for me.  I ride a lot on highways and want the range.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 04:06:25 AM »

Every ICE bike I have owned I have geared down as I don't ride highways so I say go for it.  Its the cheapest performance increase available and easily reversible if you don't like it. I imagine the effect is even more beneficial on an ebike because you don't have the problem of changing gears more often!

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 06:47:24 AM »

Since Zero puts the kit out, I guess it's OK and I would like to try it myself, but I can already spin the tires on takeoff...I weigh just under 140 lbs., and if I accelerate too hard in turns I can easily spin out even on dry pavement, so it might take some getting used to if you really gained all that torque. I wonder if you do? My understanding is that all 68 ft. lbs. of torque in the standard gearing is not immediately available from a stop due to the controller limiting this. If you really did have all that torque immediately it would be like a drag racing bike and might put more stress on tires, gears, drive belt, sprockets, etc. Again, if Zero is selling it though, it must be OK. First I heard of it. I would love to see someone do it and talk about the differences.

SK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »

Zero also sells a rear sprocket replacement that does just the opposite, trading in some torque for a higher top speed. :o

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 11:54:27 AM »

Maybe this will give some more information, if you are handy it is no problem. Hope not all 2013 models have the sprocket bolt fixed like DesignerDans' bike.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=3120.msg15613#msg15613

dkw12002: the torque is not limited the point is [Power ~ torque * rotation]. So you will always have little power at the start and a linear raising of the power as long as you have constant torque.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 07:02:34 PM »

The FX uses the 25 tooth front sprocket. I would expect similar top speeds to it (70 mph sustained, 85 mph top speed) vs stock (80 mph sustained, 95 mph top speed). Sustained top speed on the S might be a couple mph higher.

My 2012 bike is "fast enough" for me.. so the taller gearing option (25 tooth front / 98 tooth rear) might be more interesting. I don't need to go 107 mph - though you can bet I'd max it out once on a "private road" - but I think it will also slightly increase highway range.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 12:10:57 AM »

Since Zero puts the kit out, I guess it's OK and I would like to try it myself, but I can already spin the tires on takeoff...I weigh just under 140 lbs., and if I accelerate too hard in turns I can easily spin out even on dry pavement, so it might take some getting used to if you really gained all that torque. I wonder if you do? My understanding is that all 68 ft. lbs. of torque in the standard gearing is not immediately available from a stop due to the controller limiting this. If you really did have all that torque immediately it would be like a drag racing bike and might put more stress on tires, gears, drive belt, sprockets, etc. Again, if Zero is selling it though, it must be OK. First I heard of it. I would love to see someone do it and talk about the differences.

I weight about 150 and I have the same concern as you. I have the 11.4 and the torque is WAY too much for wet pavement. I can spin the tire 100% on wet pavement by accelerating too hard. On dry pavement I could easily spin the tires on turns. However, I have not ever spun my tire on dry pavement going straight. The Zero tires are certainly a little skinnier than maybe a 650 sport bike so that would definitely contribute to traction issues. Maybe the tires are also harder rubber to give the bike less rolling resistance?

I'd sacrifice traction for less rolling resistance any day but that's just me.

I have the 25 tooth sprocket and I'm going to attempt to install it as soon as a get a blow torch.

Quick poll: blow torch or heat gun to loosen the loctite on the motor shaft bolt?

Anyway when I change it I will report the results but I can tell you now that it's a pain in the butt to take that motor out. 30 lbs sounds light on paper but when you are lifting it up with one hand and trying to reinstall the motor bolts, it can get quite aggravating.

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 07:33:55 AM »

Dan,

Heat gun is generally a safer choice.   

If wheel spin is a difficult issue for you 2013 Zero owners, I will trade you my 12 DS ...   ;D
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

Biff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 07:51:28 AM »

before you go changing your sprocket, make sure you get the instructions from Zero on how to properly remove and replace it.  Prying on the motor sprocket can permanently damage your motor if you do it in-correctly.  If you don't have the instructions, send me a note with your e-mail address and I can hook you up.

-ryan

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 12:26:03 PM »

And check if you insurance still covers you. In some countries it is not the case : the day you're involved in a serious accident, the insurance company expert will notice the change and you might have to pay for all the damages on your wealth...

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 03:21:57 PM »

Dan,

Heat gun is generally a safer choice.   

If wheel spin is a difficult issue for you 2013 Zero owners, I will trade you my 12 DS ...   ;D

+1!! I have never heard anyone complain about having too much torque before.  If you have problems with wheel spin, just don't open the throttle as far.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 03:44:20 AM »

before you go changing your sprocket, make sure you get the instructions from Zero on how to properly remove and replace it.  Prying on the motor sprocket can permanently damage your motor if you do it in-correctly.  If you don't have the instructions, send me a note with your e-mail address and I can hook you up.

-ryan

Can you post instructions on this forum so we all could see?

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 05:42:13 AM »

And check if you insurance still covers you. In some countries it is not the case : the day you're involved in a serious accident, the insurance company expert will notice the change and you might have to pay for all the damages on your wealth...

Must be European - not an issue in the US.

SK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 11:42:14 AM »

Just wondering whether anyone here has made the increase torque conversion to the 2013 Zero S yet?   ::)
Pages: [1] 2