• April 28, 2024, 12:53:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Little mod to my rear view mirror.  (Read 1171 times)

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
Little mod to my rear view mirror.
« on: October 17, 2013, 11:36:38 PM »

To have a better rear view I first put the rear view mirrors upside-down as many of you already done. The marking "object in the mirror are closer...." was upside-down also. So I tried to switch the mirror BUT on my DS the left mirror has a larger angle of view than the right and switching left and right mirror was not a good solution: I'm using the left mirror a lot and I need the larger view.
So upside-down it will be !!!
Then I thought by comparing with other motorcycles that it would be nice for the mirrors to be a little higher. So as you will see on the picture I bent the mounting screw. Caution: don't break it, I'm at the max just when a crack is starting to develop !
The rear view is now better, not perfect but better indeed.
Laurent

zap mc

• View Profile
Re: Little mod to my rear view mirror.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 04:01:11 AM »

you can get alloy "extenders" that allow you to actually see the traffic behind you and not your own body. used to fit them on every Zero...

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 04:11:43 AM »

you can get alloy "extenders" that allow you to actually see the traffic behind you and not your own body. used to fit them on every Zero...

Yes, that would seem preferable, and can be cheap. I have some for my V-Strom, to just raise them enough to clear my forearms. Pushing them further outwards (the usual extension type) simply challenges my peripheral vision (which has enough to work with thank-you-very-much)!

So, the trick there is knowing the bolt dimensions and threading.

I suppose alternatively, it'd be nice to angle those stalks upwards a bit, but they don't seemed designed to change that way.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 03:14:22 PM »

The problem with the extenders is that in Europe the roads tend to be much narrower and we filter (lane split) so wide mirrors are a major disadvantage.  In fact on my KTMs I removed the mirrors entirely and had a small circular mirror clamped to the bar sitting underneath the throttle.  It was great for brief glances but I just looked behind me by turning my head.  A hell of alot safer I think because mirrors get you into bad habits of not checking your blind spots.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 09:55:40 PM »

I'd love to see a little picture of a ZERO with the extender, seems a nice idea.
Pages: [1]