• April 29, 2024, 05:08:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Winter storage  (Read 8274 times)

Lipo423

• View Profile
Re: Winter storage
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 03:56:12 AM »

This one looks nice, low consumption, probably enough…and it is cheap…cotton made would be better as you would avoid any electrostatic generation
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

Bakersbread

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 08:43:14 AM »

Got my new 2013 zero ds today got it home after riding for a while (23 miles) (note: snow on the ground about 22 degrees Fahrenheit) try placing in non heated garrage after spending a couple hours moving a few things around. Wont charge. Im sure its because of the temperature any good ideas on heating that have worked for other people? Like heated blanket, attic heater, maybe battery warmer?

Bakersbread

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 08:53:28 AM »

Lol obviously bad day to buy lol

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 09:37:38 AM »

Nice looking bike.  I like the green color. 

Put it in your house and charge it.   I have put both of my Zeros in my office in the house for the winter.   It is one of the benefits of e bikes:  no gas or oil smell.   
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

JefRo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 01:00:15 PM »

If you can, put it on charge after riding .. the cells should still be warm(er) and may be able to kick-start the charge that way.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 04:40:16 PM »

Some interesting findings for reference. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss#Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Losses

Thanks JefRo, interesting article, I need to read through it properly when I have more time but apparently this is opposite to the findings of Tesla Roadster owners and, of course, Terry.  Which chemistry do the Leafs use?

Bakersbread

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2013, 05:59:21 PM »

Thanks windrider lol already got it in the house lol unfortunately I have a split level home so unless I wanna drive it up or down stairs I think im kinda stuck leaving it in the hall way (big time in the way) wish I had an office to throw it in

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »

Find a local storage service to charge it for a day. Or find a friend with a heated garage ;)
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 09:59:36 PM »

Nice... I always like motorcycles in the house.

The important thing is that you got it charged up.  The worst thing that you can do to these bikes is run the battery pack down and then not recharge it quickly.

Have fun with the new ride.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

Bakersbread

• View Profile
Re: Re: Winter storage
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2013, 10:29:23 PM »

The important thing is that you got it charged up.  The worst thing that you can do to these bikes is run the battery pack down and then not recharge it quickly.

Thanks windrider just out of curiosity anyone ever have bike get too cold it wont start and move? Im using it for work and its parked in the parkinglot today its hovering between 1and 3 degrees havnt had a problem or anything just curious if it has a shut off protection for anything cold

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2013, 10:47:28 PM »

The second time I used mine was during the evening, 0 degrees C outside, a little snow. I got my hair cut and when I turned the bike ON again, there was flashing a code, 2 times followed by one time.

I turned the key OFF, then ON, and it worked.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: Re: Winter storage
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2013, 10:50:41 PM »

Thanks windrider just out of curiosity anyone ever have bike get too cold it wont start and move? Im using it for work and its parked in the parkinglot today its hovering between 1and 3 degrees havnt had a problem or anything just curious if it has a shut off protection for anything cold

Zero has some guidence regarding cold weather operation
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/owner-resources/Guidelines-for-Hot-and-Cold%20Weather-Operation-SV-ZMC-012-050.pdf

Zero Motorcycles Guidelines for Cold and Hot Weather Operation and Storage
Cold weather operation of the motorcycle has no permanent impact on its battery pack/cells; however, the rider may notice a temporary reduction in range due to the effect cold temperature has on the amount of energy the pack/cells can release. The colder the weather, the greater the effect; so that, as compared to operation in 80F/27C ambient, at 30F/-1C ambient, the rider could experience a temporary reduction in range of up to 50% [2011 Model Year] or 30% [2012-2013 Model Year].
In extreme cold weather the motorcycle may also experience a temporary reduction in power and, correspondingly, achieved top speed.
It is not recommend that the motorcycle be ridden while its battery temperature is below 23F/-5C. If it is, its battery needs to be put on the charger at a temperature above 32F/0C as soon as the ride is concluded. It is worth noting that the Battery Management System (BMS) will not allow the battery to be discharged below -22F/-30C, which the absolute lowest discharge temperature prescribed by the cell manufacturer.
Storage of the motorcycle for the winter in a non-heated garage is acceptable, as long as (1) the coldest temperature in the garage does not fall below -31F/-35C, (2) the battery is left on the charger continuously, and (3) the battery is initially topped off at a temperature above 32F/0C. Storage temperatures below -31F/-35C may result in accelerated permanent decay of the battery performance, and hence it is not recommended. Above this temperature, working as a system with the BMS, the charger will ensure the battery survives winter storage with no permanent damage, even if the temperatures dip well below freezing for weeks at a time. Note that, to prevent battery damage, the BMS will prevent the charger from charging the battery at a temperature below 32F/0C. Again, as long as the battery was initially topped off by the charger above 32F/0C and remains on the charger through the winter at temperatures above -31F/-35C, the system will guard the battery from damage.
Hot weather operation of the motorcycle should not result in any noticeable performance changes. However, the BMS will not allow motorcycle operation and its associated battery discharge above 140F/60C, as measured at the battery.
Note that in hot temperatures (greater than 87F/31C for 2011-2012 Model Year) (greater than 110F/43C for 2013 Model Year), the charger reduces its charge current to the battery, increasing charge time accordingly; the hotter the ambient temperature, the greater the effect. Above a battery temperature of 131F/55C, the BMS will no longer allow charging.
Storing the motorcycle or its battery in direct sunlight in ambient temperatures above 105F/41C may result in accelerated permanent decay of battery performance, and hence it is not recommended.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 04:18:01 AM »

-22F is DAMN cold.

I went riding in low 20F temperatures a couple nights ago. Definitely not my desired riding conditions, but worked fine.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 05:37:20 AM »

The second time I used mine was during the evening, 0 degrees C outside, a little snow. I got my hair cut and when I turned the bike ON again, there was flashing a code, 2 times followed by one time.

I turned the key OFF, then ON, and it worked.

Interestingly, that exact experience happened to me this morning, leaving for work. Seattle has had some sub-0F dry temperatures this week, so there's been black ice here and there. My garage stays at a relatively mild temperature and on a charge overnight, so I feel like it's mostly within specifications.

Incidentally, I can say that riding over ice is way easier on the DS than on my V-Strom, which is much more top-heavy and heavier to shift. I can keep my feet planted and finely tune my torque in ECO mode so that slippage is much more controllable. I would not advise this to anyone else, of course, and I ride with full protective gear in case something goes wrong. I also stick to well-traveled roads, but my gravel alley is unavoidable.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4