will it hurt my zero to leave it sitting out in the rain

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: rain
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 05:35:53 AM »

I've had to let my Zero sit out in the rain sometimes in Seattle's rainy season, and the only problem I've noticed is with the bolts on the (OPTIONAL) rear luggage rack. I've sprayed them a bit with anti-corrosion coatings to keep them as fresh as possible. The bike itself has very little exposed places to tarnish.

I think the one issue is that riding in the rain can get the belt dirty, which leads to a soft growling noise if you use a lot of torque until it gets clean and dry again.

Like any motorcycle, if you intend to leave a bike out in the rain for a length of time, use a cover. I've used kwiKover before but it relies on an easily removed sportbike seat. Perhaps I'll figure out how to install it now that I have more experience with the bike.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »

Mine lives outside. Only problems have been a few bolts going rusty. Like the bleed screws on the forks and some of the screws on the battery box.  The motor has also lost its sheen and has a bit of texture to it from very light corrosion.

This is a 2012 bike though.

Crawling Finn

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 01:48:52 AM »

My bike is outside, plugged in outside outlet every working day at the office. As you can probably guess it rains pretty much every day during winter here in the UK. The bike is comprehensively covered in AFC-50 which has seemed to do the job in protecting the bike from corrosion. Only issue I have had is some dashboard malfunctions. The red error triangle and the green "ready" light flashing intermittently, usually when riding but sometimes also when charging. Bike is still working OK and not showing any errors so I'm not too worried. I asked the guys at Zero Europe about that but didn't get any response so I'm living with it.
Great thing is with Zero I don't have to stop to fill up in rain every other day as with my IC bikes ;D
Pages: [1]