• April 29, 2024, 03:13:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Drive belt replacement  (Read 1253 times)

Iceman_4000

• View Profile
Drive belt replacement
« on: December 10, 2013, 03:10:34 AM »

I am in the process of repairing my broken drive belt on my 2012 DS

has anyone done this? and can you tell me the size of the nut on then inside for removing rear swing arm assembly

The the 10mm Hex head is locktight. I need to purchase a wrench for that back nut to get them lose

2012 DS ZF9

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Re: Drive belt replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 04:16:41 AM »

If i remember correctly, the big nut are 1" size and they also have sets crew to lock them so DONT FORGET TO REMOVE THEM before unscrewing the big 1" nut!

You will also need a pretty tough Hex allen key to remove the hex bolt on the outside!

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Biff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 10:56:44 AM »

as Doc said, there are set screws on the nuts, make sure you loosen them before you try and turn the nut. I think the nut is actually a 24mm, and it is sort if difficult to get at. 

you won't be able to turn the bolt until you loosen the nut a bit because the flathead bolt has a lot of friction until it is loosened. When you tighten the bolt back up, make sure you snug the bolt, then get about another 1/4 turn on the nut to make sure it gets torqued good and tight, then snug the set-screws. It helps to line up the set-screw in the right location, so that when you turn the nut about 1/4 turn it ends up where you can get at it with your allen key.

-ryan

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:21:30 PM »

Any clue as to why it broke? How many miles on it?

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 11:40:09 AM »

Maybe wrong tension on the belt.

It shoud be about 20-30 kg on the belt tension measuring tool.

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Iceman_4000

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 11:14:58 PM »

Thank you for the wrench size I was pretty sure it was metric, my 1" did not fit the way I like with how tight these are.

as for the how. I call it  stupidity, the belt had around 4000km+ on it and there was not a single sign of wear.

I was ridding home late this summer. Mornings are cold so I had a lots of extra gear. If you are in a Car it is heat in the morning AC in the afternoon this time of year. I was taking the highways for speed and did not notice my sweater hanging out of my bag, until it came out and wrapped itself around my rear axle. in the process of winding up the jacket it whipped off a light my licence plate and broke the drive belt.

Thankful for leathers I only felt the wind and commotion of the event. I bet you that zipper would have left one hell of a mark without my second skin. I can see the zipper tracks on my bike.

Aleast it kicked the shit out of that rear fender thing. I hate it so ugly, now it forces me to come up with a new light and position and rework the rear end

Iceman
2012 DS ZF9

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 04:51:52 AM »

Thank you for the wrench size I was pretty sure it was metric, my 1" did not fit the way I like with how tight these are.

as for the how. I call it  stupidity, the belt had around 4000km+ on it and there was not a single sign of wear.

I was ridding home late this summer. Mornings are cold so I had a lots of extra gear. If you are in a Car it is heat in the morning AC in the afternoon this time of year. I was taking the highways for speed and did not notice my sweater hanging out of my bag, until it came out and wrapped itself around my rear axle. in the process of winding up the jacket it whipped off a light my licence plate and broke the drive belt.

Thankful for leathers I only felt the wind and commotion of the event. I bet you that zipper would have left one hell of a mark without my second skin. I can see the zipper tracks on my bike.

Aleast it kicked the shit out of that rear fender thing. I hate it so ugly, now it forces me to come up with a new light and position and rework the rear end

Iceman

I made a real mess out of the rear caliper and brake pad on my 1991 BMW K100RS when I bungee corded a pair of silk long johns to the rear seat of my bike. While riding along Highway 97 in Oregon 15 years ago, the underwear came loose, fell down and wrapped itself around the brake disc and got jammed into the caliper, where it melted into a black goo.  Naturally, when my bike slowed down, I just gave it more throttle, which overcame the goo and I never really noticed what had happened (no doubt my gas mileage had dropped) until I got to Crater Lake, where I stopped at an overlook parking lot.  That was when I noticed that my bike couldn't be pushed into the parking space and then I discovered why.  Now I don't fasten loose clothing to my rear seat or luggage using bungee cords because s--t happens.   :-[
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »

1980 New Orleans I was driving north on Esplanade just off the Quarter, heading home to Treme after a 12 hour shift on the river moving mud. Guy in front of me on an UJM loses a bungee off the rear seat. It wraps around the rear end, locks the wheel and dumps him on his ass. I park diagonally to stop traffic and as I'm getting out of my old Ford, I see him jump  to his feet and run over to the bike. Naturally I think he's concerned about his baby. Instead he's cussing at it and kicking the living hell out of it as though it was the bike's fault. I just waited for him to stop, helped him pick up the bike and push it off to the side. 99% of the now considerable damage was post-crash. I think it was one of the new Honda 750s - F2 or K2 or something (I was riding Nortons at the time, had seven of them). Not a word of thanks. Still laugh about it.
Pages: [1]