• April 28, 2024, 12:16:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Stranded for the first time, 2014 SR 11.4  (Read 2023 times)

MajorMajor

• View Profile
Re: Stranded for the first time, 2014 SR 11.4
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 12:59:17 PM »

I found a new problem with a wet bike. The J1772 inlet filled with water and overnight in cold temperatures the water became a solid. This ice prevents a J1772 plug from inserting into the inlet. Five hours time in the sunshine was needed to melt the ice and allow a charging connection.

I haven't experienced this myself, but next time you could try using a hair dryer to speed up the thawing process.

Cama

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 01:14:05 PM »

Yup. But no hidden meaning - just getting a bike wet unnecessarily only increases the chance of problems. So I was aying "don't follow that part of the advice"...
I found a new problem with a wet bike. The J1772 inlet filled with water and overnight in cold temperatures the water became a solid. This ice prevents a J1772 plug from inserting into the inlet. Five hours time in the sunshine was needed to melt the ice and allow a charging connection.

Please report this to Zero.

ZERO SR 2016

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2017, 04:39:46 PM »

Yup. But no hidden meaning - just getting a bike wet unnecessarily only increases the chance of problems. So I was aying "don't follow that part of the advice"...
Please report this to Zero.
Do the people of Zero Motorcycles know what freezing temperatures are? Does it even snow in Scotts Valley CA?  (answer: Annual Snowfall is zero inches 0")  ;D

I may add a plastic pipette to always have with me or a bit of absorbent towel, and remove any liquids from the inlet before leaving the bike overnight.

I do agree that having the J1772 inlet mounted like a "gasoline fill port" makes it difficult to empty when it is filled with fluids. if it were mounted on the kickstand side of the bike in the frame, it would naturally drain any liquids. However the position like it is now avoids a lot of the dirt and debris. If the port were side-mounted I think it could be jammed up with mud easier, but also it could be washed easily.

Anyways then, the J1772 inlet I have mounted up is from digiNow Inc. It is in the same bracket and mounting place but is not actually the OEM ChargeTank inlet. Does the OEM inlet fill with water?

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2017, 06:55:54 PM »

Nope, had some pretty good waterproof-tests here in the Netherlands and the socket stays dry...

Tater McTatums

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »

You can email logs to zero and then change the email address to yours (from the app).  You can then decode them using the online decoder here: http://home.hasslers.net/zerologparser (provided by cecil_t if you do a search on the forum).  Download both the BMS and Battery logs, the parser can handle both.  Kind of interesting to look at.

Steve

I finally managed to get both logs to download to my phone.  For whatever reason, the BMS file would not decode.  I was able to decode the MBB file and read through that.    I'm not even going to pretend like I know what the majority of the lines in the file stand for.   The first thing that jumped out at me was "CAN1 BIT0 error. count=1".  This line shows up a few times but only during the period where I had no response from the throttle.  I also spotted these:
"SEVCON CAN EMCY Frame      Error Code: 0x4000, Error Reg: 0x08, Sevcon Error Code: 0x4603, Data: 00 FF 00, Unknown" & "SEVCON CAN EMCY Frame      Error Code: 0x0000, Error Reg: 0x00, Sevcon Error Code: 0x4603, Data: 00 00 3E, Unknown" Each of these was followed by a few lines that were still in hexadecimal (except for the timestamp). These lines only appeared once each but they show up around the time where I was experiencing the jittery regen.
2014 Zero SR ZF 11.4

Tater McTatums

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 10:03:02 PM »

It might mean there's a glitch in the firmware, which could be resolved by an update.

The last time I took the bike to the dealer they updated the firmware. After a bit of research, I discovered that this was back in July 2015.  Unfortunately, getting the SR to the dealer is not exactly a simple task.  I have to borrow a trailer to tow it up there since the closest dealer is 150 miles away from me.  The only day that they are open which I also have the day off from work is Saturday.  I'm not sure how long a firmware update takes to complete but if it isn't something that I can wait for them to complete, I'd have to leave the bike there.  Each roundtrip takes approximately 6 hours.  I've had to do this once before when I was getting the cluster, tank bag, and charging cord replaced under warranty.  It's not impossible to accomplish but it is a giant pain.

Have you thought about getting snow tyres and an Aerostitch so you can ride all year round? I'd hate to not be able to ride for months each year
No thank you. The DOT excessively salts the roads around here during the winter.  I don't want that stuff anywhere near the electronics.  Besides that, riding in the winter is cold and miserable, not to mention the potential to crash is exponentially higher.  I have done it before when I was younger.  No desire to repeat the experience.
2014 Zero SR ZF 11.4

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 03:05:37 AM »

Any word on that letter that Zero has sent out ?
Pages: 1 2 [3]