• April 29, 2024, 10:36:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2014 Model S, SR, DS and FX Recall  (Read 5242 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: 2014 Model S, SR, DS and FX Recall
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 02:44:18 AM »

Thanks Doc.  Assembling the magnets with glue bothers me a little.  I can see how using the wrong glue or not applying it correctly (if glue was actually used) could be an issue.   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 02:56:13 AM »

On some motor it IS glue.. just like the 3M Scotchweld epoxy DP460 or some masterbond products for magnets.

This company have motor very similar to the 75-5 Zero motor and my guess is that they are using glue since i can't see if the magnets are trapezoidal wich usually is the way to avoid glue to hold them in place

http://www.jobymotors.com/public/views/pages/products.php

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 05:54:56 AM »

You can see the inside of the motor on the Zero that Burton bought from Electric Cowboy:

at 2:45:

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 06:42:38 AM »

Thanks Doc.  That was an interesting video.  It just reinforces my plan to keep my fingers out of the works.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »

lol he said "I'll have to adjust these throttle cables"  ::)

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 09:12:06 AM »

lol he said "I'll have to adjust these throttle cables"  ::)

Can you not adjust them programatically? I don't try to hide my ignorance about this bike in any way :) Glad it made you chuckle.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 12:27:47 AM »

Would it not have been easier to buy a stock bike seeing as you don't necessarily need the added performance?

Makes me wonder how much current the SR motor could handle with the same cooling mods and some ducting/fan cooling.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 04:57:34 AM »

An SR was out of my budget. Originally I was looking to spend 10k.

EC added this when I first mentioned he should probably sell the bike to someone who would use its power as I wanted to streamline the bike like Terry has.

Quote from: Electric Cowboy
Ventilated motor and larger controller will be essential for a Vetter bike. The reason is heating related though, not power related. The Vetter fairings significantly change the way air flows around the bike and causes overheating problems without ventilating the motor and switching to a size 6 controller.

Terry also upgraded his size 4 to a size 6. Unfortunately the 2012 motor was not as good at transferring heat. The 2013 is equally bad, but after ventilating, it is actually much better.

Any way you go, you will want the upgrades, even if you don't need the power, you will need the additional cooling for streamlining. Both items also have higher efficiency due to the cooling as well. It is all around good for MPGe

Also this bike has been modified beyond physical means, it has also been modified via the diginow interface. Here is a snippet form the list of changes I was provided with.

Quote from: Electric Cowboy
9) maximum charge speed limit removed, you can charge upto 660 amps 40 amps through either charge port, 580 amps through controller
13) DigiNow bluetooth programming interface installed. (modify bike settings from phone) ... this is not like what Zero allows you to do, they significantly limited what you can change, this gives you the ability to change things MUCH more freely and dramatically.

If I recall EC mentioned he spent about $22k including the cost of the bike to get Turbo where it is now.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 12:32:20 AM »

I just had my recall accomplished.  What they do is to run the motor at 6000 rpm for 20 minutes until it reaches a certain temperature. (My instrument display was set to show rpm and motor temperature when the bike was returned to me.)  If the magnets don't fly off the rotor and lock the motor up, then the motor is deemed good, you get to keep your motor and you can ride off into the sunset.  I was told that the problem was that the magnet adhesive was not applied correctly to some motors when they were assembled at the factory and this "stress test" is the method of discovering which motors might be defective.  Fortunately, my motor passed the test.

One of the service guys said that a local cop had his Zero lock up while riding it at top speed.  Other than that instance, they had not heard of any other failures.

The 20-minute stress test only required 5% of my battery power to complete.  My S model made a high-pitch, but not very loud, whining noise during the test.  However I was told that the HP SR model is really loud and can be heard all over the shop while it is being tested.  I was also told that the service department only wanted to perform one Zero stress test per day due to the irritating (to them) noise that the motor makes during the test.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 04:13:54 AM »

I was also told that the service department only wanted to perform one Zero stress test per day due to the irritating (to them) noise that the motor makes during the test.

Did you tell them that you find the sound of internal combustion irritating? But then again, they probably aren't revving a gas bike for 20 minutes straight lol

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 12:52:52 AM »

The throttle start point is programmable, not mechanically adjusted.

Trikester

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 01:30:36 AM »

Thanks Trikester, that is what I thought. Might I add to, a lot of my videos have several takes and each one of them has at least one flub or mistake :)

Need to wait till I get my goodie box from EC containing my parts, the diginow module, and my title before I can 'adjust' my throttle :) lol

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 02:31:19 AM »

I called Zero yesterday wondering if there was compensation for a 6 hour round trip to the dealership and they said that I can do the recall myself.  My first thought was WHAT! then I calm down and John explain that it does not require any special tools just a motorcycle rear stand which I'm getting at Harbor Freight for 30 dollars.

What need to happen is explained in Richard's post but John told me 5000 rpm if I recall correctly.  If the motor reaches pass 217 deg or there is a grinding sound I should shut it down and there would be further procedures to do.  Also there was ferrites that I need to put on the B+ and B- cables for noise that could interfere with the Sevcon controller before the motor test is done.  Also Zero wants the log from the smartphone after the test to keep for record that the recall was done.

I'm glad that Zero is finding ways around their various recalls, I know it is not inline with "standard procedures" for a recall but I would rather do this myself and save the 6 hour trip.  Now I'm hoping that a motor change out is NOT required.

Pages: 1 [2]