• April 29, 2024, 08:15:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero powered trike riding mtn fireroads, data & video  (Read 920 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Zero powered trike riding mtn fireroads, data & video
« on: June 10, 2014, 11:46:48 PM »

I realize that the 2006 home-built trike that I converted to electric last year is not a Zero motorcycle but "under the hood" it is a 2013 Zero FX/MX, using Zero's Powertrain package.

I spent a week at an off the grid kayak school (not kayaking) named Otter Bar, riding the beautiful Klamath Forest dirt roads from the Salmon River Canyon up into the high country. I do this every year and years ago it was with mountain bikes and then morphed into motor bikes and then motorcycles (I'm now 79 is my explanation). This was my third year with an electric. First it was the 2012 DS, last year that 2013 FX, and this time my e-trike conversion.

Since the trike is a little less efficient than either the DS or FX the ride data could be looked at as a worst case for either of those other bikes. Here is the simplified data from the two biggest dirt rides taken from my GPS:

1) Total distance = 48 mi.,    Max elev. difference = 5300',  Total ascent = 7363' 
Charge remaining at end of ride = 30%,  Energy/mile = 81 Wh/mi (iPod reading)

2) Total distance = 51 mi,  Max elev. difference = 4,000',  Total ascent = 6452'
Charge remaining at end of ride = 26%,  Energy/mile = 81 Wh/mi.

The second ride listed is shown in the GoPro video I've posted on my Vimeo site:

Total ascent doesn't have the same meaning with a vehicle that can recover some of its used power on the descents. With any other propulsion it's just how far momentum can carry you up the next climb and if you used mechanical brakes on the descent you've given away some of that. I only used my regen to slow down.

Trikester

trikester

• View Profile
Re: Zero powered trike riding mtn fireroads, data & video
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »

Epilogue: After a total of 175 miles of steep, rough, mostly dirt, riding I got home and after 1-1/2 city miles, the shaft key fell out of the motor shaft/sprocket. I pushed the trike 3/4 mile home. Apparently, at some point the bolt and washer, that retains the key, had come off during my forest rides. In the bright sunlight, this morning, I saw the shaft key lying on the skid plate under the motor. I guess the only way I could have been luckier would be if it had waited until in my driveway. The 3/4 mile push was aggravating but actually not that bad because it was fairly flat pavement and one downhill section. With the motor completely unattached to the drive-train it rolled very easily.

Trikester

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 01:47:09 AM »

Oh, that happened to me 3 times with my snowblower! It's annoying. I hope you'll be able to fix it so that it stays in place.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 09:37:35 AM »

I think it's going to stay this time. Harlan told me that Zero uses Loctite on all parts and to remove the sprocket he has to heat it with a torch. So I did that plus a wave washer under the bolt in the end of the shaft (& Loctite).

Trikester
Pages: [1]